Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Mulligrubs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulligrubs Login/Join

posted
My Grandfather didn't use this word for people with "mulligrubs", instead he said they "had the sooners", that is, they'd "sooner have" something other than that which they were already blessed.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Wordcraft, Tor! Big Grin We'd love to have you stay awhile...and post some more.

As for mulligrubs, I hadn't heard of it. Dictionary.com's citation was for mubblefubbles and said, "depression for no apparent reason, melancholy; also called blue devils, mulligrubs. Then in another citation, it says "the griping of the intestines" from mull, meaning "to squeeze, pull about, mulling numb or dull." It's an interesting word. How have you seen it used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Tor.

Where was your Grandfather from? I'm betting that his usage of 'sooners' is a popular regionalism.

Does anyone have a copy of whatever-you-call-that-big-dictionary-of-regionalisms in which to look it up?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
whatever-you-call-that-big-dictionary-of-regionalisms

hehehe

If you can find a title, perhaps I can find it at the library?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
CW,

It's got a red cover; does that help? Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
LOL - just like the customers . . .

The other day I actually had someone who wanted me to help her find "those romances, you know, the ones written by that woman . . ."

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You mean, the one that shows a helpless woman being held by a tall, dark, handsome stranger on the cover of the paperback? And her bodice is ripped? There, now, you can surely go right to it!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL - just like the customers . . .

I will never forget a time walking into a large Borders in downtown Chicago, wanting to find a book where I remembered the color, but neither the titled nor the author. I was with my daughter and was struggling to remember the book. I told her that I was going to ask the clerk, and she was so embarrassed. "No one, Mother, is going to know the book with that description!" Yet, the clerk (quite a good-looking guy just her age) put his hands on it immediately. My daughter, who hates to be wrong, was flabbergasted. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've done that, too - I mean, been able to identify the book from descriptions like that. Another favorite trick of mine is to ID the book from a plot description. Doesn't happen all the time, of course, but it sure is fun to do sometimes!

~Dalai Lama