Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Tooleybuc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Tooleybuc Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
The Murray River forms most of the border between Australia's two most populous States, Victoria and New South Wales (NSW). The tiny town of Tooleybuc is on the NSW side of the Murray River.

It is pronounced as you'd expect (Tooly-Buck), so the emphasis is on the last syllable and therefore that is the only one you need to rhyme with.

Have fun! I look forward to receiving your limericks. Oh and if you think I should have picked one of the other towns mentioned in the other thread let me know, as I might use it, should I get to host another game.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow - that's a fun one! I'll be thinking...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Proof is commanding position at present with the only entry to date.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking - but not successfully.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I've been thinking - but not successfully.

I like that quote. I think I'm going to put it up on my wall. Big Grin

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and got to spend plenty of time with loved ones. Now that that's over how about a few Tooleybuc limericks, so far it's just mine and Proof's.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am still having trouble. Tomorrow for sure.

posted Hide Post
There once was a fellah from Tooleybuc
Who was truly a really unruly duck
What he did with his tongue
Was never undone
And now we can’t get her unstuck

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
WeeWilly - thanks for your contribution, but they are meant to be sent by Private Message to the instigator of the game, so that nobody else knows who wrote which one when they are all published in a Poll for Voting. I am sure in this instance you will be forgiven by all, and if they think yours is the best limerick they will still vote for it, even though they know which one is yours.

BTW - I have four now including WeeWilly's, but I think I need at least 2 more before going to a Poll.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Would an administrator please append a statement of the protocol for playing the limerick game to the Wordplay forum? If this is done I'll resume posting them. I DO write them; I just don't post them any more. IMO, such guidelines should be the work of whoever it was who originated the limerick game, (Bob Hale, I think)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that Geoff, I hope nothing I have said has offended you, I do tend to shoot off at the mouth occasionally. But the beauty of this game is that there aren't really any rules. If you write something that enough people like enough to vote it the winner, then it is the winner, no matter how closely or not it abides with the "rules" of what some of us might think a limerick should be. Please come back - the game needs more contestants. No idea who started it, I think it was going for at least a year or two before I stumbled upon the Wordcraft site and this game.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
In looking back in the archives I find that Bob Hale did start it in its present incarnation, although we did post limericks right at the beginning on Wordcraft. Then came the Oxford (the shoe, not the university) English Dictionary in Limerick Form, C.J. Strolin departed, and our limerick posts changed with that schism.

Some of us have been chided for adding extraneous limericks. It was that which caused my withdrawal. If this is to be a "play by the rules" thread, I'll abide; if not, that's fine with me, but I must have clarity.

I misunderstood WeeWily's limerick as being an extraneous one, assuming that he had PMed you with another. Thus did I make an ass of myself by assuming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I think WeeWilly is a first time player and my original post did not state that the limericks are meant to be sent by Private Message, so he wouldn't have known that that's what you are meant to do.

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year!
Glad for WW's accidental public posting as it has inspired me to attempt this one again. I'm sure I'll come up with something...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egad! Poor schmuck as I was! My posting wasn't accidental, but then I didna' know of the hidden landmines - and rules for the cognoscenti - surrounding limerick suggestions. By now I have been set straight - and very kindly, at that - by a forum member via PM.

So sorry for the social blunder, and thanks! Hopefully someone with appropriate power can remove my poor effort from the public view. After all, why keep me in the stocks any longer? Big Grin

"The smell of the dust they kicked up was rich and satisfying" - Grahame

Posts: 209 | Location: Toronto, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
People can post limericks in the thread; it's just that they then can't be voted on.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
People can post limericks in the thread; it's just that they then can't be voted on.
I don't think so. See my post in the 'rules' thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see it now. However, I posted this here before your post in the Rules Revisited thread. I had not thought that an actual rule, but I can live with it if it is.

My personal opinion is that we are all about having fun, so who cares is someone takes the "zing" out of the poll, as Bethree says. My zings often zang anyway. Wink It's a game.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have 4 limericks, including my own, so far plus 2 for entertainment only, that I am under strict instructions not to include in the Poll. I'd still like a couple more for the Poll.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Too much talk and not enough limerick writing? Is that always the case. Wink

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I now have a 5th competition limerick, so is that enough to publish a Poll, or should I wait another couple of days?

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd go ahead.

posted Hide Post
I have relented. If Greg sees fit he can put mine in the poll, although it may distract from the good entries.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Poll is posted.

Regards Greg