Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game Curie Point
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game Curie Point Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh's post in Q&A about "Pomma Point" reminded me of another point, obscure to most of us, so I'll use it as the next term. Send me some daffynitions for Curie Point - the more pointless the better!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I sent mine.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Four days and only three replies? HELLLOOOOOOOO - where is everybody!?!?!?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Some of us are off in summer lalaland, which only exists for another week or so and then it's back to grim reality.

anyway, you have mine, and I'm such a chemist, that it's bound to be the real definition too!

Wordmatic, who hated chem

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
forget to mention-- sent one already. yell if you didn't receive it.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You should have mine now.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Finally, a quorum! I even goaded my workmate Sam into submitting a definition even though he's not signed up on WC yet!

Here they are:

1. A jewel faceting style, being in the form of an inverted teardrop which gathers light from the broad end and focuses it in the point. The internal glow thus created is redolent of that of the now banned radium paints. Named for Madame Curie, who possessed one of the first sapphires cut in this fashion.

2. The temperature in degrees Kelvin at which radium 228 decomposes into radium 226. The phenomenon is commonly used in industry for determining radon concentrations in ground water.

3. The equilibrium point in radioactive decay where precursor-->isotope and isotope-->decay product proceed at the same rate, resulting in an apparently paradoxical constant amount of a radioactive substance known to be unstable. The best-known example is the decay of Plutonium 239 to Uranium 238 and thence Uranium 235. (Named not for Marie Curie, as popularly supposed, but for her husband Pierre.)

4. Named for French astronomer Raymond Curie. The points in the orbits of any three planets when they are directly in line.

5. The point at which a radioactive element's half-life ends and its full life begins.

6. the metal nib of a small electronic probe used in labs to detect radiation inside tiny spaces.

7. Mountainous retreat in old Alsace, homestead for three generations of the illustrious scientific family.

8. The level of radiation that is normally fatal to humans after exposure of one minute.

9. In grooming horses, the Curie Point is that point at which further combing with the Currie Comb is unnecessary.

10. In basketball, one free throw is awarded when the defensive team purposely fouls an offensive player in order to keep the player from getting to the top of the key.

11. The temperature at which ferromagnetism becomes paramagnetism.

Now there's a wild spread of daffynitions!!! Is one of them correct? Take your pick!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Because I don't know any better, I'm voting for number TWO.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Seven, but the fact is, I would have picked mine had I not submitted it!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have no idea so I'll go for number 4.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, put me down for 3, please.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I remember just a hint of the real meaning, so I shouldn't really vote. However, I'm casting my vote (if permitted) for #1, on the grounds of highest creativity.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm attracted to # 11 - guess that means I haven't reached my Curie point yet!

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
11 for me, too, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Hab, it has been awhile since you've joined us in the Bluffing Game. Great to see you!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Still waiting on CW to swim over to her computer and answer...

I guess I now know why so many people are moving here: We only have to contend with the occasional volcano and a magnitude 8 earthquake every 400 or so years.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, you've hit 3700 posts, Asa!

C-A-T-E-R-W-A-U-L-L-E-R...we're waiting... (I might have to peek at the definition!)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, why not go ahead and post the answers?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I tried to, but my ISP went out and lost it. Frown

Now I can't find who sent me all the daffynitions! WAAAHHHH!!!!

Anyhow, Hab and arnie were right. The rest of you can 'fess up to which one is which.

My friend Sam did the jewelry cut, and I did the decomposition of Radium to find Radon in groundwater.

posted Hide Post
I'll acknowledge #3. You could probably tell it was mine. Too wordy.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I confess that number nine was mine.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Number 8 was mine, but it fooled no-one.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I voted for my own. I still think I was right.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well I concocted #5. My husband's about to reach that kind of Curie Point when he retires soon.
(I'm so jealous!)

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I came up with #10, which I loved because it was unrelated to science (which I knew would be prolific!)...and it's about basketball; I knew that most of you wouldn't have a clue!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Gosh - I'm sorry to have kept you all waiting. These last few weeks of Summer and the first week of school have been really busy!

Mine was #6. I had to go back to my PMs and check to be sure. LOL

Feeling pathetic . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, I came up with #10, which I loved because it was unrelated to science (which I knew would be prolific!)...and it's about basketball; I knew that most of you wouldn't have a clue!

10. In basketball, one free throw is awarded when the defensive team purposely fouls an offensive player in order to keep the player from getting to the top of the key.

...that wouldn't be the "point guard" who is fouled, would it?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay...but I did say "most of you" wouldn't have a clue. Obviously there were more clueful readers than I had anticipated!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What's basketball? Wink