Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: New York City
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: New York City Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
The location for the next contest is "New York City"-- which is the preferred manner of referring to this place (notwithstanding legal documents [City of New York] and postal addresses... and Frank Sinatra songs [New York, New York].

Please forward entries by PM

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
All three words - 4 syllables? The stresses don't work for me. I say new YORK CI-ty

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd say New York CIT-y.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I'd day "Gotham".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Stick an adjective in to draw the stress

a MAN came from OLD new york CITy

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

a MAN came from OLD new york CITy

New Amsterdam?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
All three words - 4 syllables? The stresses don't work for me. I say new YORK CI-ty

Is that Chicagoese? around here, you say "new YORK" (as in "new YORK, new YORK", or "NEW york CI-ty", but I've never heard "new YORK CI-ty." But hey, if that's your accent, use it in your limerick.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Three in so far.

Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven't been here for about five years, and came back largely because of this game :P

Glad to see it's still live and kicking!

Hello Smile

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My goodness... is it really that long? I've been living in China for the last three years...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Good Grief I can't believe it's 3 yrs in China already, Bob! Welcome back, Stanley & thanks for joining game.

There are 5 lims so far from 4 authors. Still missing many regulars-- you know who you are! Dive in the water's fine

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Dive in the water's fine

No, no. Not into the Hudson or the East River.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hey, Stanley! Welcome back. Wow, I do remember you in our Wives thread - are you FatStan? If you're not, welcome back anyway!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I must write one. It's a hard city!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine is in...

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
LAST CALL....

We've got 7 lims authored by 6 limmers. Location's been up for almost 2 wks so I'm guessing we're tapped out-- I'll wait until tonight to post the poll.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Hey, Stanley! Welcome back. Wow, I do remember you - are you FatStan? If you're not, welcome back anyway!
I remember this Stanley as being a trained linguist; Fat Stan was not. A misogynist, yes ( mostly feigned, I suspect) but not a linguist. Am I correct, Stanley?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stanley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
I remember this Stanley as being a trained linguist; Fat Stan was not. A misogynist, yes ( mostly feigned, I suspect) but not a linguist. Am I correct, Stanley?

Yeah, I'm definitely not FatStan! Just plain ol' Stanley.

When I was on last, I was just about to start my undergraduate linguistics degree, and now I'm just coming to the end of my postgraduate one. The time, where does it go?

------------------------
If your rhubarb is forwards, bend it backwards.

Posts: 98 | Location: Reading, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
The time, where does it go?

I've often asked myself the same question, wasting it here.