Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game. Cloyne
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game. Cloyne Login/Join

Picture of pearce
posted
Now here is an interesting verb. Please send your daffynitions by PM. Please don't delete till the end.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did the other one finish and I missed it?

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
We've made our guesses but haven't had the answers yet. I think pearce is just getting all enthusiastic over a new word. No problem with that though.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Bob. Let's send him our daffynitions!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pearce:

Only 5 offerings so far. Keep 'em coming, please. Remember I did say it is a verb.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll send you one tonight

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
Here are the answers. Which daffynition is the right one?

1. To act deceitfully or fraudulently, to cheat, deceive, to take cunningly, or to have a secret understanding, to conspire.
2. To trill note on a trumpet or horn.

3. To assault a stranger.

4. Vb. (archaic) To argue or posit that that ordinary physical objects are composed solely of ideas, which are inherently mental. Based on the ideas of George Berkeley, who was the Anglican Bishop of Cloyne in the 1700s.

5. An early type of Buddhist monastery, consisting of an open court surrounded by open cells and accessible through an entrance porch.

6. A cave in the west of Ireland

7. To use a rifle as club holding the barrel and striking with the stock

8. To speak in an obsequious manner.

posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no idea. I had some thoughts based on geography, but wow... this is a tough one.

For no particular reason other than a pure guess, I will take #8.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
pearce has wisely chosen not to use the other definition I sent and which I'll write in a slightly different form here because it's funnier

cloyne - what people in Dudley do when their houses are dirty

I'll try number 1 please.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll cast my vote for #7, please.

(Maybe cloyning is cloning cloyingly.)

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It is, of course, to assault a stranger with a rifle in a cave within an Irish Buddhist monastery while speaking obsequiously. Nevertheless, I'll agree with Bob - number one for me too.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
4. for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
Still a couple missing. Must have been a tough weekend. Anyone ready for the denouement?

posted Hide Post
I'll have a 6

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw, heck, Pearce. You must have missed my rehabilitated daffynition.

#8, please.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
CLOYNE
Here are your answers:
1. Is correct. To act deceitfully or fraudulently, to cheat, deceive. Hence cloyning. To have a secret understanding, to conspire. Also to take cunningly, furtively, or fraudulently; to grab.
2. to trill note on a trumpet or horn.-perhaps caterwauler was seduced by onomatopoeia.

3. To assault a stranger. –Wordmatic who then looking for a suitable weapon, voted for 7.

4. vb. (archaic) To argue or posit that that ordinary physical objects are composed solely of ideas, which are inherently mental. Based on the ideas of George Berkeley, who was the Anglican Bishop of Cloyne in the 1700s. –Jo’s brilliant but not quite right suggestion, but she voted for 8..

5. An early type of Buddhist monastery, consisting of an open court surrounded by open cells and accessible through an entrance porch.-Kalleh

6. A cave in the west of Ireland-Arnie tried to hide his knowledge behind this idea, then voted for 4 because he and Jo are nearly always right???!!! Hab voted for this.

7. To use a rifle as club holding the barrel and striking with the stock.-BobHale, who finally correctly decided on 1.

8. To speak in an obsequious manner.-Not far off the mark for Asa Lovejoy, who then rolled most of them up: ‘It is, of course, to assault a stranger with a rifle in a cave within an Irish Buddhist monastery while speaking obsequiously. Nevertheless, I'll agree with Bob - number one for me too’ -- before correctly choosing 1.
Kalleh opted for this, too.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Do you have a reference for this definition, pearce? Onelook only seems to have two mentions of the Irish town, but nothing on the meaning you give.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Reading about Cloyne the village was interesting. In the Wikipedia entry there's a reference to the "great Cork hurler Christy Ring." As I had never heard of hurling, I had to check that out.

Searching "cloyne" and "deceive" on Google, I found this:
quote:
I can so cloyne and clatter, [deceive, cited OED]
on a page about a John Bale morality play. But this page seemed to attribute this sort of thing more to Blarney (see paragraph beginning with "In 1602.")

wordmatic

Edited to touch up punctuation.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, here is the first citation in the online OED:

1. intr. To act deceitfully or fraudulently, to cheat, deceive. Hence cloyning vbl. n.

1538 BALE Thre Lawes 440 With holye oyle and watter, I can so cloyne and clatter. Sel. Wks. (1849) 170 With the cloynings of your conjurers, and the conveyances of your Sorcerers. Ibid. 391 To have their faults opened, and their cloning colours condemned. 1569 T. STOCKER Diod. Sic. II. xxii. 68/2 He..mistrusted his crafty cloyning.

Now, recall people, he did say it was a verb! That was a big hint. When I first wrote my definition, that fact escaped me. However, he again reminded us that it was a verb. I then sent him a PM with the following definition: "Cloyne - To cut and bale alfalfa." It must have been too late, however.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Kalleh!

Pearce - rereading my post it looks a bit like I disbelieved your definition. I assure you that wasn't the case!

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Thanks, Kalleh!

Pearce - rereading my post it looks a bit like I disbelieved your definition. I assure you that wasn't the case!

My source was the OED. But Kalleh has quoted part of the entry, so I need say no more. Razz

posted Hide Post
ditto for me, re Arnie's post. I was not at all disbelieving; just interested.

Kalleh, thanks for the reference. Interesting word. I wonder if clowning comes from the same source.

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo:
I wonder if clowning comes from the same source.

I think it does phonetically, but the present meanings: fraudulently, to cheat, deceive. Hence cloyning were not obviously in general use till the late 16th century.

The OED gives the following etymology:

[Appears in Eng. in second half of 16th c. as cloyne or cloine, and clowne. The phonetic relation between these is difficult to understand; the former is esp. obscure: possibly a dialect form. By Dunbar, the word (if indeed the same) is written cloun; but it rimes with tone, Joun, meaning tune, June, both having in Sc. the sound (Y or ø), which would imply (klYn). Words identical or closely related appear in several of the cognate langs. and dialects: e.g. NFris. (Moringer dial.) ‘klönne (or klünne) ‘clumsy lout, lumpish fellow’ (Bendsen):OFris. type *klunda wk. masc. Cf. NFris. insular dial. Amrum klünj (pl. klünjar) ‘clod, clot, lump’ = Sylt klünd ‘clog, wooden mall’:OFris. type *klund str. masc. Also mod.Icel. klunni:*kluni ‘clumsy boorish fellow’ (Vigf.), ‘en klods, ubehændig person’ (Jonson), compared with Sw. dial. klunn, kluns (Rietz) ‘clump, clog, log’, and Da. dial. klunds = klods ‘block, log, stump’, also ‘clown’. In Dutch also, Sewell (1766) has kleun fem. (marked as a ‘low word’) ‘a hoidon or lusty bouncing girl’, kloen n. with same sense; and he explains Eng. clown as ‘een plompe boer, kinkel, kloen’. Bilderdijk Verklarende Geslachtlijst (1832) says that kloen applied to a man signifies een lompert, ‘clown’ in English, and so is it with klont, kluit, and kluts or klots, all meaning primarily ‘clod, clot, lump’. So far as concerns the sense-development, then, it is clear that we have here a word meaning originally ‘clod, clot, lump’, which like these words themselves (see CLOD 5, CLOT 4), has been applied in various langs. to a clumsy boor, a lout. Of an OE. type, corresp. to the Fris., or to the Du. words, we have no trace, no more than of the occurrence in Eng. of the primitive sense ‘clod’; and it is probable that in Eng. the word is of later introduction from some Low German source.]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I haven't hosted the game for ages, so I've posted a new word here: https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=44160709...431020504#3431020504