Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Rye Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Rye Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
Okay "limericists" here are the entries for Rye. Please vote for your fave, even if you didn't enter. Hope I didn't miss any.

Question:
1 My girlfriend who lives down in Rye
Is cute, but a little bit shy.
She hides those sweet eyes
(and sometimes she cries.)
But - massaging that tush and her thigh!

2 A foolish young man down in Rye
Went out water-skiing while high.
He waved at a lass
And fell on his ass
And laughed as he gurgled, “Bye-bye!”

3 "Hot damn, but they almost can fly,"
They say of the surfers at Rye.
To ride a girl's ass
With their throbbing mass
They'll lie, and then laugh, waving bye!

4 A lovelorn young lady from Rye
Determined to shoot for the sky,
Felt rather stupid
When hard hit by cupid,
To fall for none other than I?

5 I once saw a beach gal in Rye
Whose suit crept up far past her thigh
I couldn’t stop looking
(With gas she was cooking!)—
Until I got punched in the eye.

6 There was a young fellow of Rye,
Said, “You want me to WHAT? Well, I’ll try.”
Though he tried, and he failed
In the press he was hailed
As one hell of a talented guy.

7 There once was a baker of Rye
Who often was awfully shy
Till a man we'll call Guy
Saw desire in her eye
And he had a warm piece of her pie.

8 A pious old spinster of Rye
When sometimes asked if she knew why
She had failed with the chaps
Then she said “it’s perhaps,
The tattoo of the Pope on my thigh.”

9 A bunch of us drove down to Rye
With fishing gear, hoping to fry
A squid or a salmon
But it was a famine:
I yawned, and caught me a fly.

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought there were some really good ones here, but I voted for the one that actually made me LOL.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I liked them too, Sattva.

We need more than 3 votes, guys!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to time travel and go back and redo mine. Ugh!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Your limerick or your vote?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My limerick. I will go into reasons later. As for my vote, there were so many really good limericks, but the clincher for me is if I actually laugh. I did on #8.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I liked #8 too - great imagination!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
So the 9 limericks came from 6 contestants, as I haven't voted yet, that leaves one other contestant who hasn't yet voted, and Kalleh maybe you could convince Shufitz to cast a vote. Otherwise I will just pick my favourite of the 4 that have received a vote.

PS: Kalleh, NBA Offcialdom must be really pissed off that a Canadian team had the audacity to win the Championship today. No doubt the Warriors will claim it was the injury to Klay Thompson who was shooting the lights out that cost them today's game, but no they threw it away with poor foul shooting both Iguodala and Draymond Green missed 2 of 2 from the stripe back to back late in the 3rd quarter, and in the last Iguodala again and also Cousins only made one of their 2 shots from the stripe. Make all those and they win, and take it to Game 7. I watched the 2nd half live. Maybe if they'd put Aussie Andrew Bogut back into the game late, instead of Cousins, things may have been different too, especially with what he could of done at the defensive end. Of course when Thompson went down they lost not only lost their best offensive player, but also their best defender.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll ask Shu to vote (however, I can't assure you that he will. Wink)

I was rooting for the Raptors, and I do think many (in Chicago anyway) were. We had the 3-peat with the Bulls, and we sure didn't want the Warriors to get one too (even though Steve Kerr was with the Bulls then). I was a little worried about the Raptors, though, because they absolutely should have won it in game 5. They got the ball away from the Warriors at the last few seconds and then didn't make that last shot. I can tell you, Michael Jordan would have either made that, or would have passed to someone who was open. That play showed me that those old Bulls were a better team (though I may be biased. Wink)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Maybe Shu will vote for mine! (No such luck, I am sure...)

posted Hide Post
Raptors? We occasionally have one eating a squirrel in our yard. Given the squirrel overpopulation, I root for them too.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Well still no more votes, so I think it's time I broke the tie. Actually if I'd had a normal vote I would have voted for No. 7 (it certainly warmed my pie) and since that already has one vote that makes it the winner. The limericks and contributors were written by:

1. Kalleh
2. Bethree5
3. Sattva
4. Yours truly
5. Bethree5
6. Bob
7. Geoff
8. Bob
9. Bethree5

Actually there was an element of truth to my limerick. My (ex-)wife used to tell me about some advice she received from a respected mentor, who said, "it was just as easy to fall in love with a rich man as a poor man", but me and money have never had much of an affinity with each other I'm afraid, so she dipped out.

Special congtraulations to Bethree5 for the sheer volume and the fact that all three of her entries were befitting of the location.

So Geoff, it's up to you to choose the next location for us to visit.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The trouble with using pseudonyms in on-line forums, is that you don't know if the person is male or female, so my apologies to Bethree5 if the "her" pronoun used in my comments, is actually the wrong gender.

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sattva:
I thought there were some really good ones here, but I voted for the one that actually made me LOL.
Ditto! Except-- full disclosure: I voted for the only other one besides my limericks that made me LOL. Red Face

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow sorry for missing this vote! (Pls see my excuses at the responses to communal post Kalleh recently sent). I-- again, like sattva-- roared at #8 (& voted for it too late). However I was all set to vote for #7 before I read it, so there you are. Good choice.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
And BTW Greg yes, "I enjoy being a girl" as the song goes...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
According to the poll 8 has two votes now but as the result had already been called before that final vote I shall accept gracefully that 7 is the winner (though I shall still feel all smug inside)

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have now actually cast my vote, so now it looks like a 2-way tie with my casting vote tipping the balance in favour of No. 7, so now at least it looks right.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Now, an explanation and an apology for my foul limerick. When Greg changed his limerick choice from Sassafras to Rye, I was working on one for Sassafras. Like the one Greg had showed, I had the word ass in my limerick.

I had no idea about what to write about Rye. I looked up Rye and found out that there was surfing there. I wanted to pay homage to the original Sassafras choice in my limerick on Rye and tried to incorporate it in line 3 or 4. I could get the word ass in there, but couldn't quite find a way to make the rhythm sound right with Sassafras in it. I looked for another word that rhymed and came up with mass. Then, I thought I would be cute when I was having such a difficult time (these are always difficult to me) writing the final line and include wave, which was a nod to what surfers usually ride.

I have such a hard time with how my limericks flow, and I felt I did better on that. Perhaps, you will all feel differently. When I saw it in print and reread it, I cringed. It seemed cruel and mean, and definitely not funny. Reading all the ones that were funny made me aware of how far from the mark I was. Yet, I still feel that except for it not being funny, and being cruel, it might be one of my better limericks.

As I am sure you all know by now, having won only one game and that being the only votes I have received on a limerick, that limericks are not my forte. Again, I want to apologize for my limerick, especially to all of the other women on this site. Please, forgive me. Now, can I go hide my head under a cover somewhere for awhile?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:

So Geoff, it's up to you to choose the next location for us to visit.

Declined. Select someone else.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Okay Geoff, that's disappointing, but whatever you think. So Bob do you want to let that smug inner feeling takes us to a new location?

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sure why not. I'll post one later.

posted Hide Post
I voted for #8, seeing it as a clear winner, before reading the posts below the poll and discovering that the vote count was over. If you accepted second place votes, either #7 or #9 would have gotten mine.