Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Florida
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Florida Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I checked all our limerick words, and we have not yet used Florida - so that's our next game. Florida is probably the warmest of all our states in the winter and a great place to vacation. It is the state with the most surface area touching an ocean. Their sports (both college and professional) are often good as well. There are a few negatives. The politics in that fine state is(are?) not for me. In the summer (and fall and spring sometimes too) it can be oppressively humid. You all know Florida, of course, but I wanted to give you my perspective.

I pronounce it as FLOR-da, but if you pronounce it differently, feel free to rhyme it as such.

PM me with your submissions! The more, the merrier, as they say.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi Kalleh,

I am confused, your suggested pronunciation implies the i in Florida is silent ... surely not? I get that the 2nd i in Aluminium is silent to Americans, because they changed the spelling of the word to make it Aluminum, whilst leaving the other 50 odd elements of the periodic table that end in ium alone with the i pronounced, but surely even Americans pronounce the i in Florida, must be a typo I think.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pronounce the "i." And isn't Hawaii warmer than Florida? Doesn't it have more coastline, at least proportional to land mass?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't pronounce the "i' in Florida either. Sometimes, I may put a quick "ah" for the "i", but not usually.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Geoff, I should have said continental US.

When I hear myself pronounce it, I don't pronounce the i. If you do, go ahead and use it. Remember, folks, these are supposed to be fun, not perfect. With all that has been going on in Florida these days, there are bound to be some fun ones. Big Grin

[Note to self: I may actually pronounce the i slightly, much like Sattva said - I just heard myself as I wrote the above.]

posted Hide Post
There I go out-literalizing you! Big Grin

Since Florida is a Spanish word I think you'll find the "i" actually emphasized in Spanish, whereas the "da" sounds more like "tha" in English. Bethree, did I get that right?

This will be a tough one. I can't think of anything that rhymes with it no matter how I say it.

posted Hide Post
Sure you can! And if not, make 'em up! Ogden Nash did that all the time!

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Hab! Ogden is one of my favorites for making up words. By Morris Bishop:

Free from flashiness, free from trashiness,
Is the essence of ogdenashiness.
Rich, original, rash and rational
Stands the monument ogdenational.

I am sorry I came up with a hard one. I didn't mean to at all. I honestly was thinking it was simply pronounced FLOR-da.

But now I see there's a bit more where that pesky i is.

posted Hide Post
You're right, Hab; will do.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've gotten a few PMs/emails about the pronunciation of "Florida." Indeed, I even received an audio of Bob saying it, convincing me that, yes, he does pronounce the i.

It all reminds me of our discussion here about the pronunciation of "fire." I pronounce it with 2 syllables, while Bob swore he pronounced it only with 1. It happened we were about to travel to England to visit Bob, so when we arrived I asked him to say "fire." To me, he said it just like I did. So we then decided it probably depends on one's definition of a syllable. Read about it here.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Jim Morrison (Doors) certainly pronounced it with two syllables, FIGHHH-YERRR.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine saying it without 2 syllables.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Interestingly:

drawer - one who draws (pictures) (2 syllables)
drawer - the thing you pull out of a chest thereof (1 syllable)

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes! Good point.

I have 6 now, including two from Shu! Who'd have known?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sent you two!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Keep them coming, folks.

posted Hide Post
So far I can't make anything work. Frown I'll keep trying.

posted Hide Post
Backing up a few steps - the state of Oregon has a similar problem. I always pronounced it with three syllables - ARE-i-gone (as in "going...going...GONE!") but then I met a roommate who lived there, and he pronounced it in two - "OAR-gin" (that's a hard G).

Was he right and was I wrong? It depends, I s'pose, on your definition of "right." In this context.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Backing up a few steps - the state of Oregon has a similar problem. I always pronounced it with three syllables - ARE-i-gone (as in "going...going...GONE!") but then I met a roommate who lived there, and he pronounced it in two - "OAR-gin" (that's a hard G).

Was he right and was I wrong? It depends, I s'pose, on your definition of "right." In this context.

I pronounced it "or a gun" with a somewhat shorter u sound between a u and an i. My last name is like that, also. It has a ui in it.

Think I am too tired and busy trying to catch up to play this game. Sorry. Have fun and I'll vote.

posted Hide Post
Having lived in Oregon for 45 years, I have some idea how it's pronounced. Most long-time residents say, "Or-e-gun," but "Or-a-gun" is common too. Almost never will one hear the old East Coast "Aura-gone" pronunciation, now. That's ironic, since with the horrendous influx of fat cats and real estate developers, that pronunciation is now accurate.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, that surprises me, Geoff. I host a call of all the boards of nursing and have to call roll. I've gotten into trouble from many states on how I pronounce them, and Oregon was one. I was told that NO ONE in Oregon says it with 3 syllables. They all pronounce it, I was told, as Hab's roommate said above: OAR-gin. I've changed how I pronounce it. So you are saying long-time residents say it with 3 syllables? Weird.

posted Hide Post
Alas, there are very few long-time residents left. I guess it was just the folks I associated with.

https://www.amazon.com/ORYGUN-...ticker/dp/B006L9A90K

posted Hide Post
"OREGON" ?

Isn't that's the sign on the depleted iron mine?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Having lived in Oregon for 45 years, I have some idea how it's pronounced. Most long-time residents say, "Or-e-gun," but "Or-a-gun" is common too. Almost never will one hear the old East Coast "Aura-gone" pronunciation, now. That's ironic, since with the horrendous influx of fat cats and real estate developers, that pronunciation is now accurate.

My sister has lived in Oregon since the early 80's and she says it like you, Geoff. I talked to her last night and told her about the discussion. She told me how she says it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We in the midwest probably make the fatal flaw by not only using 3 syllables (which I guess is okay, at least by some), but we say: or-ee-GON. I think that's what really irritates those Oregonians.

I'll post the limericks tomorrow. Geoff, get going! You too, Sattva, if you are up to it. I know you've been ill.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
"OREGON" ?

Isn't that's the sign on the depleted iron mine?

Or when a Cockney loses a bawdy woman?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Thank you! Keep them coming, folks.
OK, I came. Uhhh, I mean I sent one to you.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Got it. About to post them!

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A quick look at the Wiktionary entry for Florida gives the following pronunciations:

• Boston, Received Pronunciation: IPA: /ˈflɒɹ.ɪ.də/, /ˈflɒɹ.ə.də/
  • Canada, General American: IPA: /ˈflɔɹ.ɪ.də/, /ˈflɔɹ.ə.də/, /ˈflɔɹ.də/
  • NYC, Philadelphia: IPA: /ˈflɑɹ.ɪ.də/

Om careful speech (formal occasions), I usually pronounce it with three syllables, but in casual (hurried) speech, the 2nd syllable is dropped. (Note that the stress in IPA is represented by an apostrophe "'" before the syllable and syllable junctures are marked by periods (full stops) ".".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post