Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: sampi
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: sampi Login/Join

posted
The new bluffing game word is sampi. Please send me your "daffynitions" by PM (don't really like that term, but I can't think of a better one).

If you think you know the word, could you let me know by PM as well? I know that's not how the game's normally played here, but I'd like to try it as an experiment.

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you any yet, Guy?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's in.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three so far, but I could do with some more. New members welcome of course - just make up a plausible definition of sampi and send it to me by PM. Thanks!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Come on, folks! We need a couple of more entries, right, Guy?

posted Hide Post
I've got five so far - probably enough if I add a couple of my own, but a couple more would be good. Haven't heard from Bob or Richard yet, which surprises me.

posted Hide Post
PM them and beseech their contribution! I'll toss in another too if you like.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
PM them and beseech their contribution!

Done.

posted Hide Post
I'm overwhelmed now - and I've never seen such a wide geographical spread! Thanks everyone. Here, running roughly from west to east, is the list of definitions I've been given, plus the true one of course. Please post your guess in the thread - you don't need to have submitted a definition to enter. Thanks!

(1) A medicinal herb, similar to gingko, discovered by Captain Bligh in the Sandwich islands.
(2) A Genoese fish and pasta dish of French origin.
(3) The judicial system of Finland.
(4) An archaic letter of the Greek alphabet.
(5) An Afrikanerism meaning an expression of appreciation for something very well accomplished; cool.
(6) Bas relief sculpture depicting sexual acts as seen on such Hindu temples as Khajuraho.
(7) An Indian word meaning a soldier who has reached the limits of promotion but is not yet an officer. The German name is Unteroffizer, used by the British army in its anglicised form - underofficer.
(8) A small Indonesian canoe, minus the traditional outrigger.
(9) A pungent Korean stew whose main ingredient is turnip.
(10) An early Japanese sailing vessel.
(11) An oriental floral shrub whose petals have medicinal properties.

<Proofreader>
posted
I'll go with #6. While it may not be right, I have a vivid picture in my mind of what it would look like.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the judicial system of New Jersey. Oh, wait, that's vigorish. Well, I'll guess the Finns have something called Sampi, so I'll take #3.

<Proofreader>
posted
Jeb Raltar's girl said, "Monthly time.
I feel bloated so bad it's a crime.
But I just chew a Sampi
And don't feel so crampy,
Though the feeling I feel's not sublime."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am going with 11 because it is the only one that doesn't have a country identified (though even it is described as "oriental"). It's a very odd bunch of daffynitions this time.

posted Hide Post
Proofreader - if 6 is the correct definition then she's going to have a hard time chewing one of those!

Kalleh - I think the exotic flavour of the definitions can be explained by the fact that native English words rarely end in "i".

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I fancy going boating. I'll take number 8.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'll go for number 10 - the Japanese sailing vessel.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
Number 6 seems a bit too specific, but any of the others could conceivably be correct. I'm up a creek without a paddle, so I'll take a piece of #8.

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think the exotic flavour of the definitions can be explained by the fact that native English words rarely end in "i".

I suppose you are right. I tried to come up with words that end in "i," such as sushi or uteri, and they seemed to be from other languages. Yet, don't all of our words originate from other languages? Oh well. That's another subject for another time.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll choose 4.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yet, don't all of our words originate from other languages?

No - unless you're describing Anglo-Saxon as "another language". But as you say, a subject for another thread.

Any more guesses, anyone?

posted Hide Post
Time to reveal the answer, I think!

Definition 4 was correct. Sampi is an archaic letter of the Greek alphabet, which was used in some dialects to represent an "ss" or "ts" sound. It wasn't used in classical Greek but was retained as the numeral symbol for 900, and is still occasionally used this way today. Its name probably derives from its shape - "san pi", meaning "like (the letter) pi".

Arnie was on form with this one - he knew the answer before I posted the definitions! Well done to him. I like to think I can claim a moral victory because no one actually guessed the right answer though Smile

And here are the bluffs, with their authors:

1. A medicinal herb, similar to gingko, discovered by Captain Bligh in the Sandwich islands. (Proofreader)

2. A Genoese fish and pasta dish of French origin. (Geoff)

3. The judicial system of Finland - guessed by Geoff. (arnie)

5. An Afrikanerism meaning an expression of appreciation for something very well accomplished; cool. (Kalleh)

6. Bas relief sculpture depicting sexual acts as seen on such Hindu temples as Khajuraho - guessed by Proofreader. (Geoff again)

7. An Indian word meaning a soldier who has reached the limits of promotion but is not yet an officer. The German name is Unteroffizer, used by the British army in its anglicised form - underofficer. (Richard)

8. A small Indonesian canoe, minus the traditional outrigger - guessed by Bob and Mike. (Proofreader again)

9. A pungent Korean stew whose main ingredient is turnip. (haberdasher)

10. An early Japanese sailing vessel - guessed by Richard. (bethree5)

11 An oriental floral shrub whose petals have medicinal properties - guessed by Kalleh. (Bob)

Thanks for playing, everyone!

posted Hide Post
Kudos to arnie, back in form again, and Proofreader for snaring two with his daffynition!
Good to see this game rejuvenated!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The right answer turns out to be the one that I thought was the least likely.
How does arnie know this stuff?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, I originally had put that for my answer, but changed it because it had the word Greek in it.

I guess that means I am the winner. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
The right answer turns out to be the one that I thought was the least likely.

That's why I chose the word! Smile

In fact, the original name of the letter in antiquity is unknown - it's thought that the name "sampi" dates from medieval times. It certainly doesn't sound much like the names of the other Greek letters.

By the way, I hope I wasn't too quick off the mark in posting the answer - I note that two people who submitted entries didn't submit guesses. Apologies if I spoiled the game for anyone.

posted Hide Post
I hadn't put in an answer yet because I hadn't a glimmer, and I hadn't gotten around to figuring out where to guess. I was leaning toward #2, but I couldn't bring myself to choose the one that wanted a Genoese dish be French. Besides it was too much drawing on the smilarity to "scampi". No matter, it was wrong anyway.

It's probably better to err on the side of delaying, cajoling, wheedling for more responses (or entries), keeping people in suspense. ["Patience, young Jedi!"]

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There was a young curate of Kew
Who kept a tom cat in a pew;
He taught it to speak
Alphabetical Greek
But it never got farther than μ.

– Anonymous

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
I was leaning toward #2, but I couldn't bring myself to choose the one that wanted a Genoese dish be French.

Geoff can give himself a pat on the back for that one then!

quote:
It's probably better to err on the side of delaying, cajoling, wheedling for more responses (or entries), keeping people in suspense.

Point taken. I'll wait a little longer next time.

Who's got the next word?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've got one. Bumwhush.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I was away. I too would have voted for Arnie's Finnish imposter.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post