Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Boma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Boma Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have worked very hard on this word, trying to fool arnie of course. Wink Even if the rest of you get this word right, if arnie doesn't, I will consider if a huge victory! Please post lots of daffynitions, guys, so that I can fool him!

Boma - Please either send me a PM or e-mail me at nspecto@aol.com. I will post your daffynitions on Saturday.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Oh, that's too easy! Everybody in the USA knows about Boma Shave! Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to send me your definitions, people! I have been down here in hurricane country and have very limited access to a computer. I hope to be home Saturday to post the definitions, but one never knows. It seems headed for Atlanta now.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am in desperate need for daffynitions! Even if you have never played, please do so!!! The more daffynitions, the better my chances will be for fooling that arnie! Razz

Really folks, I only have 5. How about a few more? Pretty please? With sugar?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I sent mine a couple of days ago. Did you get it?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bob, I did get yours. And, I now have 6 so that's better. But I want more!!! (she says, with a whiney voice Wink)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
didja get mine, huh huh huh?

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So far I have:
Jerry's
Jo's
Hab's
arnie's
Bob's
Asa's

posted Hide Post
Mine's on the way... power outage bigtime!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sending you mine now. I've not been well, then spent some time recuperating in wonderful Wales (part of my heritage), so haven't posted for a while - although I've looked in a couple of times.

Hope I'm not too late, Kalleh. Smile

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, KHC, we have been very worried about you. Glad to see you here!

Cat, sorry to hear about your illness. Please take care of yourself.

Here are the definitions:

1 - a low rounded mound, made by early indigenous North Americans to contain one or more sets of remains.

2 - a type of fencing used by sheep farmers in the Australian Outback.

3 - a mouth-like opening or hole.

4 - jocular coinage for a wallaby based on the slang term "boomer" used for a large male kangaroo. (Aus)

5 - military slang (Bird On My Ass) in reference to a high-ranking officer's nit-picking. After the habit of tick birds on large animals.

6 - a circular fenced-in enclosure in Africa.

7 - a street greeting derived from the shorter "bo" and extended to include the maternal nickname as a jargonized version of "yo mama".

8 - (n) (architecture) That part of the gusset lying tangent to the fascia or wainscoting.

9 - a handkerchief, nattily worn around the neck, similar to cowboys attire, tied in a fancy knot.

posted Hide Post
Definitely number 6!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Haven't a clue so in spite of tinman's emphatic response I'll go with whatever arnie picks later.

Won't let me do that?
Oh alright I'll say 1.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's just got to be #5. Please, let it be #5. That is just too good not to be it.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
..... ... .. . S I X . .. ... .....

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
..... ... .. . S I X . .. ... .....

(©)(©)
----ooo--(__)--ooo----

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, six might be the right anser (forty million Frenchmen can't be wrong) but for its sheer audacity I'll pick eight. The gusset with the weskit is the clue that is true.

(Edit typo: what a goose I am! I meant "answer", of course.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pick three..

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since arnie lives half a world away, and he picked six, I'll stand on my head and pick six also. Since he's on the other side of the world, his six is my nine. Alas, since I'm standing on my head, letting all the blood collect there, Kalleh will disallow my answer, I'm afraid. Isn't there a rule against posting while inverted? Well, whatever, just so I won't get it right, I'll give someone a point and say nine.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ahh, Asa, I see you are having a good time in Indiana! Wink

I will post the correct answer on Wednesday. For those of you who haven't guessed, do so now!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, I am going to blame you for my losing this game to arnie, again! You were far too confident in your choice! BTW, I got this word from my logophile friend, and the definition he sent me was #6. However, when I looked it up, another definion is: "large non-venomous snake of W Africa; Brazilian boa" Would you winners have gotten that?

1 - a low rounded mound, made by early indigenous North Americans to contain one or more sets of remains. - Hab chosen by Bob

2 - a type of fencing used by sheep farmers in the Australian Outback. - Cat chosen by no one

3 - a mouth-like opening or hole. - arnie chosen by KHC

4 - jocular coinage for a wallaby based on the slang term "boomer" used for a large male kangaroo. (Aus) - Bob chosen by no one

5 - military slang (Bird On My Ass) in reference to a high-ranking officer's nit-picking. After the habit of tick birds on large animals. Asa chosen by Jo (my personal favorite; it should be an acronym!)

6 - a circular fenced-in enclosure in Africa. - from tiscali chosen by Tinman, arnie!, and Jerry

7 - a street greeting derived from the shorter "bo" and extended to include the maternal nickname as a jargonized version of "yo mama". - Jo chosen by no one

8 - (n) (architecture) That part of the gusset lying tangent to the fascia or wainscoting. - Jerry chosen by Hab

9 - a handkerchief, nattily worn around the neck, similar to cowboys attire, tied in a fancy knot. - KHC chosen by Asa

Well, foiled again! Tinman...you're up! Please think of something so obscure that even our arnie doesn't know.

BTW, I got a PM from arnie saying: "What makes you think I don't know Kiswahili?" So...it wasn't a good guess; he knew it.

posted Hide Post
I'm just glad I fooled upside-down Asa! A point!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Another meaning for boma, which is how I came to know it, is a police station or post. See MS Encarta.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Or, as my real estate attorney husband informed me, it is an acronym for Building Owners Management Association.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
By the way, I don't know Kiswahili. Razz

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Tinman, I do know you've been on the board. Do you want to do the next word? If you don't, that's fine. We can ask someone else.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Tinman, I am going to blame you for my losing this game to arnie, again!

Now, Kalleh, you can't blame me because Arnie knew what boma was. He knew the word; I just had a lucky guess. I was told once that, if you're going to be wrong, be wrong with confidence. That's why I answered the way I did. Boma is also a city in Zaire. The Columbia Encyclopedia says it had a 1984 population of 197,617, while infoplease gives it a population of 79,000 (no date given). What gives? Did it really lose about 120,000 people in 20 years?

I'll try to come up with a word to stump Arnie. I'll post it Saturday or Sunday. Is that soon enough?

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
Ahh, Asa, I see you are having a good time in Indiana! Wink [QUOTE]

Well, except for my not realizing that the "Hard Rock Cafe" referred to noisy music instead of igneous or metamorphic stones! Are your ears still ringing?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

I was told once that, if you're going to be wrong, be wrong with confidence.

Tinman, have you been reading Strunk and White's Elements of Style? That's what White said Strunk did!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh Asa, being in Indiana, you missed jheem's and my discussion of Strunk and White's Elements of Style (see it in Flexmarian manifesto in Links for Linguaphiles).

Now, Kalleh, you can't blame me because Arnie knew what boma was.

Yes, I know, Tinman. In fact, arnie had sent me a PM to rub it in! Roll Eyes I was just giving you a hard time!

posted Hide Post
The new word is posted here.

Tinman