Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Trinidad
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Trinidad Login/Join

posted
Trinidad, Colorado is my target City, but I am sure you can use the island of Trinidad or other location as you see fit.

“Trinidad” means trinity in Spanish.

It was “incorporated” in 1879

Trinidad is a small city in Colorado, but the most populous in Las Animas County. I believe it was originally a “Coal Mine” town. In 1902 it had one of the biggest explosions in one of the nearby mines killing 10 (?) people and was one of the biggest mining disasters at that time.

It was once known as the “Sex Change Capital of the World”. A surgeon named Stanley Biber was the original Surgeon there that developed the reputation, and his practice was later taken over by “Marci Bowers” who had gone through a sex change him/her-self. She moved her practice to California more recently. The phrase “taking a trip to Trinidad” became a euphemism for someone seeking a sex-change.

The City is about 10 miles north of the Colorado/New Mexico border.

Denver Bronco’s former Quarterback (and now coach) has a home @ “Cougar Canyon Resort”.

Bat Masterson became the deputy sheriff in 1880 and later became the Trinidad town Marshall in the mid-1880’s.

I have been in Trinidad only a few times, but it is a fairly cool-looking town with a lot of old buildings. I have only heard it pronounced as simply “Trin-i-dad” with soft “i’s” and soft “a” not really with a Spanish accent.

I hope that helps with some ideas. You can google it as well if you want more ideas.

Thank you Geof, for letting me pick the City.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously you may "PM" me your limericks, and I will keep them up. I will need either instructions on how to post the poll, or to send the final submissions to someone else to post.

(It just struck me. I'll check if there is instructions on how to do that on the site).

(anyone) Please help me out if you would. I get hung up on this part of the instructions I saved which were posted by Bob(?).

quote:
A rhyme MUST include the last stressed syllable. This is NOT optional. If it doesn’t rhyme on the last stressed syllable then it doesn’t rhyme at all.

“Australia” can rhyme with “Dahlia” or “Westphalia”
(aus-TRALE-ee-a, DALE-ee-a, west-FALE-ee-a)
but it can’t rhyme with Albania (al-BANE-ee-a) because the “ALE/ANE” sounds are different.

The unstressed syllables that follow the stressed one should ideally be identical in the rhyming lines but you can get away with them also being rhyming.
You might get away with “PAINT me/FAINTly” but don’t count on it.

Optionally you can choose to rhyme syllables before the stressed one – as some do in our limerick game insisting on rhyming EVERY syllable of the place name.

So for “Trinidad” I take it we should rhyme “TRIN” and hopefully keep using “i-dad”. Is that how you all understand it? I couldn’t think at all how I would have handled “PWEB-lo” or “pu-EB-lo” depending on how you pronounce it.
Any help would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom,

posted Hide Post
I should have insisted on Idiotvile! Wink I can't think of ANYthing that rhymes with Trinidad, but I'll try. Maybe I should call my witch doctor - she's from there. Ya, Mon, that's what I'll do!

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll think, Tom. Thanks for doing this!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Mine's in.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As it stands, I think I'm guaranteed at least third place. Wink

Three total, one of them mine.

posted Hide Post
Tom, I modified mine, so recheck it.

posted Hide Post
Four People, Six limericks.

It would be nice to have some more, I think.

posted Hide Post
Given the subject I'd expect three from each in order to qualify.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Given the difficulty of rhyming it, I am surprised that anybody has put two in.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Greg, I had considerable trouble, as well, and mine is far from perfect. I agree - I could never do another one.

posted Hide Post
I rewrote mine at least three times. Does that count?

I had been trying to think of some rhymes for "Pueblo" and had a hard time, so I thought "Trinidad" might be better. Boy was I wrong. But you guys are so good, you needed a challenge anyway. (I also thought about "Ouray" ("your-A") I can think of some good rhymes for that.)

I've got seven now. I was hoping that a couple of the great authors who haven't submitted yet were still to come.

posted Hide Post
PM those from whom you want limericks and ask them to do one. Or beg, beseech, implore... Smile

posted Hide Post
I've got about 9 now. Some had some poor meter and rhyme. A couple weren't real off-color, and I found a few typos. I think I've fixed them up enough now to an acceptable state for a contest now, though. I hope to get one or two more before I post.

posted Hide Post
Tom, I'd ask the limerick's author before making any changes. Maybe the writer meant it to be that way. With some limericks of the "Ogden Nash" school, goofy spelling is the norm. Example:
There was a young belle of old Natchez
Whose garments were always in patchez.
When comments arose
On the state of her clothes,
She replied, "When Ah itchez, Ah scratchez."

posted Hide Post
Hey Geoff, APRIL FOOLS!
Actually I thought I would get a bigger reaction and from more people.

I would never exit or change any entries. :-D

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If it's any consolation Geoff, I didn't spot it as an April Fool either. I just didn't get round to replying.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now you know who's the fool in the group. Confused Roll Eyes It also shows that I have NO idea what day it is.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nope, Geoff, I am worse. I read it and thought, "Okay. I probably had a typo or two, so that's fine." Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Geoff,
Actually, I expected a much more angry reaction, from several people. All I got was one guy giving me a perfectly respectful explanation as to why that was not a good idea and a great example of a limerick that would be ruined if you changed it.

I hope you took it in the humor it was meant and weren't embarrassed at all.

posted Hide Post
I'm developing callouses on my buttocks from trying to move with both feet in my mouth. Wink

posted Hide Post
6 people, 11 limericks. I'll post today or tomorrow unless I hear from anyone to delay. Otherwise send me any final limericks.

posted Hide Post
I shall send a lemonrick; I'm sour and bitter about limericks.