Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Twisted Lyrics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twisted Lyrics Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Cathryn (that's British Cat, to those who know her) recently sent me an email containing a word game.

In it you paraphrase the lyrics of a song without changing the meaning and others have to guess what the original song was. It's best described by example.

She sent me the twisted lyrics for four songs. They were...
quote:

1)
Speakest thou in the affirmative, speak I in the negative,
"Cease", you interject; "continue" thrice say I
Alas.
"God be with you" next you utter; I give triple greetings,
I lack understanding of your farewell when I wish thee good day.

2)
My travails continue 24/7, in order that I may reimburse my creditors,
Tragic, is it not?

However, when it comes to fiscal reward for my endeavours, for me there is none,
Such hard luck!

In reverie, I plot,
Were I to find myself a man of ample fortune,
I could cease my toil, I would frolic gaily and engage in frivolous pastimes.

3)
Bleat twice, ebony ovine
Are you in possession of yarn?
Affirmative, master, affirmative, master,
Thrice have I filled the sacks.

4)
Initially terror struck me,
Then paralysing fear,
Pontificating that I would die
If you were no longer near,

However many eves I pondered
Your mistreatments of me too,
It made me toughen up and gain
The strength to muddle through...

The first one, as an example, is a twisted form of "Hello Goodbye"
I got them all and replied with my own selection.
quote:

1. Consider, if you will, the proposition that there is no marvelous afterlife. When attempted, the matter is a trivial one. Consider that there is also no terrible afterlife for sinners waiting beneath our feet and that nothing lies above our heads but the wide blue yonder. Consider the global population existing only in this single twenty four hour period.

----------------------------------

2. Save for my Cercopithecoidea and myself, the entire population keeps secrets.

----------------------------------

3. I am subject to strange internal sensations. I am unlike those people who find it simple to conceal themselves. I am somewhat impoverished, but, were that not the case, I would purchase a dwelling sufficiently large that we both might inhabit it.

-----------------------------------

4. I am unable to account for these internal sensations.I am unable to clarify the nature of them. I am unable to determine the reason for the dramatic temperature variations. Yes, in the very core of my being. I am unable to account for it.

Can anyone identify all of them?

Would this be any good as new word game? One person writes and posts twisted lyrics, the first person to guess identifies the song and posts more?

Googling is allowed.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll be honest, I am not a lyrics person. However, I bet CW would be interested.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Yes, popular song lyrics are not things I keep very much on top of. Pre 1940s I am a bit better with than later songs - but I am far from an expert even with those.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And the reason you wouldn't recognise Baa Baa Black Sheep is... ?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'd recognise that one - it's pre-1940s Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I think it would work if we restricted ourselves to extremely well-known songs. That way, the challenge is in the artful composition of the twisted lyrics (as opposed to knowing the lyrics to tons of songs).

I wonder if one song per turn might move along better than 4 at once.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post