Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Penola Poll
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Penola Poll Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
OK here is the Poll for the Limericks on Penola and there's a few goodies and no bad ones:

If you don't want me to win 3 times in a row, then don't vote for Limerick No 1 - it's mine.

You might find the odd crop of canola
Or be served the best Gorgonzola,
But there's no greater fillip
Than Mary MacKillop
For the small country town of Penola.

A ten-pin athlete in Penola
Found he bowled perfect games if granola
Was the core of his diet.
Since God bade him to try it,
Now he seeks to be Saint Holy Roller.

A virginal lass in Penola
Buttered her arse with canola.
None got a grip
on her thigh or her hip,
So they did it in her schnozzola.

A sheila I knew in Penola
Subsisted on nutty granola.
Her body? Enthralling!
But blokes were not calling
Cuz - Oh! what a giant schnozzola!

Said the dentist who worked in Penola,
"There's trouble I see, with your molar.
And problems beneath
Your carnassial teeth -
You shouldn't have drunk all that cola".

In the small country town of Penola
Dwelt a Muslim, an old Ayatollah.
He said, "Let's be clear,
I don't drink real beer -
Only Foster's or else Pepsi Cola".

In Chicago the college Loyola
Will teach of the rank "Ayatollah",
Of rabbis and Jews,
And surely the news
Of St. Mary who lived in Penola.

Question:
Get your votes in now, whether or not you submitted one.

Choices:

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Greg. There are some good ones with some great rhymes!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Any last votes before I declare the Poll. I haven't voted yet but I am saving that in case I need to break a tie.

I'll give it 12 hours or so.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OK - no more votes received. If I had voted I would have voted for No. 7, but that would have made it a tie and my casting vote would have then made it the winner, and as the author of Limerick No. 5 Richard might have good grounds for being peeved especially as he also wrote No. 6.

Therefore I am sorry Kalleh, but I have to declare Richard the winner. Authors were:

1. Me - I liked this one a lot. I was very happy with the MacKillop/fillip rhyme.

2. Proofreader - good fun story and managed to get Sainthood in there albeit somewhat obscurely.

3. Geoff - can't believe this one didn't pull any votes, it is excellent and blue limericks usually do extremely well in this comp.

4. Kalleh - another good one that could have easily been a deserving winner, yet failed to poll any votes.

5. Richard - the winner! A nicely worked limerick and everyone knows what Coke does to your teeth. It's probably the main reason I only have about half mine.

6. Also Richard's - Of Richard's 2 entries I actually preferred this one myself because of the double allegation that the iconic Australian beer Foster's isn't real beer and as every Coke connoisseur knows Pepsi just isn't real Cola and they wouldn't dare drink the stuff. If there's no real Coke and there's Pepsi, I'll have a Lemon Squash.

7. Kalleh - This one is brilliant in my eyes, not only because she worked St Mary into it, but Loyala is a Jesuit (catholic) university where such things would certainly be studied. Unlike Richard's limerick using "Ayatollah" its use wasn't just for the rhyme - it had a justifiable reason for being part of the story.

So over to you Richard for the next game.

Regards Greg

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
It's a shame we don't have more people voting, which would probably make the competition both fairer and more fun. As I believe everyone knows, I don't vote for my own limericks and even so, found the choice difficult. I agree that Kalleh's second submission was excellent and, what's more, relevant - unlike either of mine.

But c'est la vie; the public has spoken.

I will post another town in a separate thread.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Richard's was brilliant in my mind. I appreciate the accolades on mine, but the fact is, it didn't have that last line zinger...or any humor. That's what limericks are about, and that's one reason I have trouble liking some of the limericks on OEDILF.

Picture of Mike
posted Hide Post
I didn't have time to write any limericks for this one, but voted for Richard's. I liked Geoff's a lot, but there were some missing syllables and the last line could have been better, so my vote went to Richard. Where, incidentally, does Schnozzola come from? Both Geoff and Kalleh used the word, so it seems like it must be well known, but although I've heard Schnoz I've never heard Schnozzola.

Posts: 71 | Location: OsloReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schnozzola sounds Yiddish to me and I have always taken it to mean "nose". We had a master at school who had a prominent proboscis and we called him "schnoz".

Plus there was famous comedian, Jimmy Durante, who called himself Schnozzle Durante on account of his sizeable beak.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, schnozzola is Yiddish. I had been so proud of that rhyme and was disappointed to see that someone else used it as well.

BTW, speaking of words, carnassial was new to me. Before I looked it up, I thought it was just thrown in to help with the meter and meant something like "carnivore." Had that been the case, I likely wouldn't have voted for it. However, it was perfect for both the meter and the meaning.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had a master at school who had a prominent proboscis and we called him "schnoz".

So did we! Original lot, schoolboys, aren't they? Roll Eyes

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Yes, schnozzola is Yiddish. I had been so proud of that rhyme and was disappointed to see that someone else used it as well.

BTW, speaking of words, carnassial was new to me. Before I looked it up, I thought it was just thrown in to help with the meter and meant something like "carnivore." Had that been the case, I likely wouldn't have voted for it. However, it was perfect for both the meter and the meaning.

I have to say that, although I knew the name from my biology classes at school, I had a bit of trouble finding its correct spelling. It comes, as one might guess, from "canine" since the carnassial teeth are very well-developed in dogs, where they help with tearing the animal's food.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose, then, that it is related to carnivore. It's an interesting word, and I hadn't heard it before.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The AHD says that carnassial is from the French carnassier, carnivorous.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't bother to check since I trusted my biology teacher of around 55 years ago - and he reckoned the name was given because that particular tooth was well-developed in dogs.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You'd think he could have looked up the etymology, rather than to have "reckoned" about it. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
You'd think he could have looked up the etymology, rather than to have "reckoned" about it. Wink
Maybe. But you tend, at the age of 12, to believe that your teachers are always correct.

In fact, as I recall it, his very words (in a class test) were: "What is the name of the human tooth that is very much enlarged in dogs?"

My answer (which he marked wrong) was "the canine". From the exchange I inferred that the name "carnassial" came from canine.

If nothing else, it does demonstrate just how much of an influence teachers have on children's development.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But you tend, at the age of 12, to believe that your teachers are always correct.
Oh, I meant your teacher should have looked up the etymology, rather than "reckoning" about it. Not you, Richard.