Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: shram
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: shram Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
We've not played the bluffing game for quite a while, so...

Let me have your daffynitions of the word shram by PM. As always, no looking the word up!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got mine.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me have your daffynitions of the word shram by PM. ...

You should have gotten mine as well.

Funny, it just dawned on me this morning what was meant by "PM". I had been wondering why everyone asked for entries by the afternoon, when it usually takes days. (and I even thought "whose afternoon" since some people are a half-a-day away from others)

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I send my mine PM postmortem -- dead on arrival.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Four entries from three people so far - more please!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Should have mine now.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've edited my PM to include more daffynitions.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No you haven't. Wink You've edited the PM about aftermath instead. Wink

posted Hide Post
Sorry. It's the aftermath of a very bad day - and it ain't over. Presentmath? Futuremath? Confused Anyhow it'h a meth!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your bad day, Geoff. It may be a meth, but hopefully you're not on meth. Wink

My belated one is in. We've so many games going that I am confused!

Now I must go write a limerick - on a very hard place!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Eight entries are in although some people have submitted multiple entries. Last call!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions for shram:

1. A shram is a female version of the shmoo, a mythic creature invented for the 1940's comic strip Lil Abner by artist Al Capp.

2. A shram is a meal of dates and figs eaten by devout Moslems prior to beginning their yearly fast.

3. A half sock for covering the heels, but keeping the toes open for open-toed shoes.

4. A veterinary device for placing medicine in the throat of animals.

5 An anal dildo.

6. A northern English dish of cold meats and vegetables. A kind of cold stew.

7. A Balinese percussion instrument often heard in Indonesian gamelan ensembles.

8. Chiefly British English, a farm for the indigent, from Hindi, sramah, "work," "toil."

9. To cause to shrink or shrivel, as with cold; benumb.

10. A Hindu religious retreat.

Get voting!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Tending towards 1,2 or 3

I think I'll plump for 2.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dang, mine didn't make it. I wonder if I didn't properly send the message.

Anyway I suggested it was texting-slang for "sure am" (shram proud of that one). Smile

I'll guess 7

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom,

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Sorry Tom, I didn't get it. Is it showing in your messages as sent? (Click "Go" > "Personal Zone" > "Private Messaging".)

I haven't received anything for the Etymology game from you either. If you sent a PM for that can you try to send it again. If you (or anyone else) haven't sent an entry, please do send one if you can!

posted Hide Post
Arnie,

I must not have sent it. Maybe I typed it but never clicked on the "Post Now" button. I don't know what I did. (I have sometimes posted on a thread and just not had it go through for some reason.)

I haven't tried to submit on the etymology game. I just can't think of anything for it.

<Proofreader>
posted
Some time ago, I got a message in my email box about a PM, which I can open in email without going to the site. After reading it, I made a reply through email but found that the reply will not forward to the original sender. You have to go the PM route.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Yes, proof. If you get an email about a PM you can't reply to it by email. You have to go to your PMs to answer. There is a link in the email to reply, though, and it will open your browser at a reply message box.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
#9 please.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses?

(Proof? Geoff?)

<Proofreader>
posted
The only one that appears out of place and not obscurely invented is number nine.

posted Hide Post
I'll agree with Kalleh so we can be wrong together.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I also cast my vote for #9

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Most people got the true meaning that word. Oh well. Frown

Here are the results for shram:

1. A shram is a female version of the shmoo, a mythic creature invented for the 1940's comic strip Lil Abner by artist Al Capp.
Proofreader's daffy.

2. A shram is a meal of dates and figs eaten by devout Moslems prior to beginning their yearly fast.
Proofreader's daffy, fooled Bob.

3. A half sock for covering the heels, but keeping the toes open for open-toed shoes.
Kalleh's daffy.

4. A veterinary device for placing medicine in the throat of animals.
Geoff's daffy.

5 An anal dildo.
Geoff's daffy.

6. A northern English dish of cold meats and vegetables. A kind of cold stew.
Bob's daffy.

7. A Balinese percussion instrument often heard in Indonesian gamelan ensembles.
Bob's daffy. fooled Tom.

8. Chiefly British English, a farm for the indigent, from Hindi, sramah, "work," "toil."
Geoff's daffy.

9. To cause to shrink or shrivel, as with cold; benumb.
The real meaning. See http://www.wordnik.com/words/shram. Correctly chosen by Kalleh, Proofreader, Geoff and Bethree5.

10. A Hindu religious retreat.
My own daffy.

Well done all!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine was a mere guess. Maybe I've been lurking around arnie too long! Big Grin

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
And mine was a typo Red Face. I meant to hit Geoff's #8, though I hesitated over Bob's #7.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't go for #7 because I thought Gamelan was a Japanese monster movie. Confused