Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    What's in A Name?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's in A Name? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am bringing this thread up again because I read of a very funny name in the paper this morning.

Parents love the name "Haley". Family tradition is to name the middle name after a relative. A very close aunt, by the name of "Mary", has just died, and the family wants the first grandchild named after her. Parents wonder about the name:
Haley Mary I say no, no, no!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While in the hospital recently, I came across a nurse with the last name of Nightengale! Her entire family was in medicine!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Parents wonder about the name:
Haley Mary I say no, no, no!
-------------------------------------
I hope she doesn't get pregnant with a female child and decide, in utero to name her Grace. Haley Mary, full of Grace. And Dr. Lord is the ob/gyn: The Lord is with thee.

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The US football play-offs are upon us. Just now the Green Bay Packers attempted long a game-winning field goal as time expired.

I grieve to report that the kick fell short. So the kicker's name, Ryan Longwell, is clearly not an aptonym.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
They called him "Long," for short, but not for long.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
This topic reminds me of one of my dad's favorite jokes.

"As I said to the woman with the wooden leg, <pause>Peg? It's a cold night; everybody has to make some sacrifices."

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, WinterBranch! Big Grin And, it is good to see you here again!

posted Hide Post
Reviving one of our oldest threads with something found on the web:

"The first recorded observation of gorillas took place in 1847 by Thomas Savage, an American medical missionary working in Gabon."

posted Hide Post
Today is the start of the earliest preliminary rounds of the World Series of Poker.

Last year's winner, Chris Moneymaker, walked away with over $2,000,000.

posted Hide Post
In the bookstore today I saw a recent book called Candyfreak: A Journey Through the Chocolate Underbelly of America, written by Steve Almond.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
One element of war is the demonization of the enemy.

Currently we hear and read of people with names that appear to be gibberish. The Arabic speaking people bearing those names seem to become more "human" when we seek the Etymology And History of First Names.

(Click on Arabic Names)

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
jerry says, "One element of war is the demonization of the enemy. The Arabic speaking people bearing those names seem to become more "human" when we seek the Etymology And History of First Names (Arabic Names)."

If names denote character, some of those in the news were people you would not invite to dine in your home.

OSAMA means "lion" in Arabic.

SADDAM means "crushing" in Persian or 'one who confronts" in Arabic.

Saddam Hussein's son was christened Qusay.
QUSAY from Arabic "distant".

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saddam Hussein's son was christened Qusay
? Confused

I think that is unlikely.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
ARNOLD m
Usage: English, German
Pronounced: AHR-nold
From a Germanic name meaning "eagle power", derived from arn "eagle" combined with wald "power". Saint Arnold was a musician in the court of Charlemagne. Another notable bearing this name was Arnold of Brescia, an Augustinian monk who rebelled against the church and was eventually hanged.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Touché, arnie! Smile

Edit: Research has now revealed that if a person had the most common first name in the world, and also had the world's most common last name, he would bear the unlikely appellation Mohammed Chang.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hic et ubique,

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Research has now revealed that if a person had the most common first name in the world, and also had the world's most common last name, he would bear the unlikely appellation Mohammed Chang.

This creates an impossible conundrum. In the Chinese system, the family name comes first, so it's properly written Chang Mohammed.

Now, to users of other languages, it appears that the first name is Chang, which is NOT the most common first name. ... and so on.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Beware...thread revival!

I have been reading Larson's "The Devil in the White City" which is about the Chicago World's Fair. I found two of their people's names quite appropriate.

E. Dehn - their head gardener

William Pretyman - Their Director of Color (I also thought that would be a great job! Can you imagine being the Color Director? Wink)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In one of these posts I saw the name, "Winterbranch." Whatever happened to her?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread...

I heard a funny one on NPR this morning. A man is named Jim Bissel, though "Jim" was his middle name; his real first name was "Hugh." So...his parents had named him:

Hugh Jim Bissel Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Kalleh!
I just bought Larson's "The Devil in White City" today! Because I had just finished "Fair Weather", a children's novel by Richard Peck - also about the Chicago 1893 World's Fair.. (Hear that Twilight Zone music???)

My neighbor, when I was young, had an aunt named FANNY BUTTS..
If I have posted this before, I'm sure someone will tell me.

Happy New Year everyone!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I loved "The Devil in the White City," but I will say that my husband didn't. Let me know what you think.

And I wish you all a very Happy New Year, too! Big Grin

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Having just been in Chicago and toured Hyde Park a bit with someone who loves architecture, _Devil in the White City_ was mentioned many times. KHC and Kalleh and Shu - can you give me reviews??

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
<Whisper>

Should the dangling participle be mentioned? Probably not. Let's just let participles dangle unobserved and unmentioned.

</whisper>

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OMG - did I let my participles dangle in public?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
In a British aviation site I just encountered Air Chief Marshall Sir Jock Stirrup. Makes me wonder just what's going on in his knickers.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread

I just heard a great one on a TV show; there was a man named: Bubka Penis

posted Hide Post
Hi Guys, My brother had a teacher named Mr. scirocco (like the car and wind). It means "desert wind". Said teacher asked on the first day of class if anyone knew what scirocco meant. My bro said "huh, hot air?" There is a NASCAR driver named Dick Trickle, but you word folks probably knew that. My wife had a doctor named Dickensheets, and another surgen Dr. Cuts. We were on a car trip awhile back and played a naming game. Last names that are occupations. There are a bunch of them out there. Ok, I got on the web to find out what thesaurization, or actually dethesaurization means. I found it on page 129 of Hugh Kennedy's "The Great Arab Conquests". It seems to relate to the distribution of currancy. Boy, I get side tract in a dictionary, the web is even worse (better?) Thanks, Lop

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, lop, it is good to see you! We have missed your mother on our chats.

Dr. Dickensheets? I hope he wasn't a gynecologist!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always love great names, and it's what I miss most about academia...I used to love to create fun patient names for my exams (I'm kidding of course; I miss the students, too!).

Anywho, I am sitting here watching the Cubs, when our wonderful Kosuke Fukudome came up to bat. Can you just imagine what the t-shirt companies do with that last name? Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
My newspaper today has a reader's letter mentioning that she used to work with a couple of dentists named Mr Fillingham and Mr Gaskell.

It is in response to a photo of a dentist's sign for a Mr El-Nashar published earlier.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
From the "Weird Universe" website: "A fella ought to be able to create a Verizon DSL User Name with his own name that's been in the phone book for decades, but if you're Dr. Herman Libshitz, Verizon blocks it."

During my tenure in the army, one officer had severely-bulging eyes. It was very difficult to avoid laughing every time you said, "Yes, Lt. Ogles."

Everyone knows that entertainers very seldom use their actual names. That's why Marion Morrison was renamed John Wayne. There's a little-known story about how another great got his stage name.
A man walked into a talent scout's office and was asked to give the agent a sample of his talents. So the man proceeded to sing like a bird, dance like a cat, and deliver a monologue that had the agent in stitches. then he gave a Shakespearean oration that had the agent in tears.
"You are one the greatest entertainers I've ever seen," said the talent scout. "I'm going to put your name in lights on Broadway. By the way, what is your name?"
The man said, "My name is Penis Van Lesbian."
"Oh, no!" said the agent. "That won't work. We'll have to change it. Let's see what can we call you? Penis Van Lesbian, Penis Van Lesbian...."
And he paced the floor for several minutes, thinking.
"Ah, I have it!"
He changed the man's name, the man became a star and today the world knows him as Dick Van Dyke.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I used to love to create fun patient names

I found this in an old e-mail and added a few of my own at the end.

It's been discovered that artist Vincent Van Gogh had many relatives. Among them were:
His dizzy aunt, Verti Gogh
The brother who ate prunes, Gotta Gogh
The constipated uncle, Cant Gogh
The brother who worked at a convenience store, Stopn Gogh
The grandfather from the former Yugoslavia, U Gogh
The brother who bleached his clothes white, Hue Gogh
The brother from Illinois, Chica Gogh
His rapper/magician cousin, Wherediddy Gogh
The Mexican cousin, Amee Gogh
The Mexican cousin’s American half-brother, Grin Gogh
The ballroom dancing aunt, Tan Gogh
A sister who loves disco, Go Gogh
The nephew who drove a stagecoach, Wellsfar Gogh
The bird lover uncle, Flamin Gogh
His nephew psychoanalyst, E Gogh
The fruit-loving cousin, Man Gogh
An aunt who taught positive thinking, Wayto Gogh
The bouncy nephew, Poe Gogh
His California cousin, Sandy A Gogh
His author cousin, Victor Hugh Gogh
His gambling aunt, Carmen Gogh
His overweight brother, Cris Gogh
The colorful archeologist brother, Indi Gogh
His unwell cousin, Impeti Gogh
His peripatetic cousin, Onthe Gogh
His Olympic track star cousin, Mark Set Gogh
His explorer uncle, Galapa Gogh
The Japanese cousin, No Gogh
The Caribbean twin sisters, Trinidad and Toba Gogh
And his niece who travels the country in a van, Winnie Bay Gogh

A newspaper article the other day reported the demise of sanitation worker Ricky Dumpit.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Don't forget the Dupp brothers, Stan Dupp the comedian, Bill Dupp the motivational speaker, Phil Dupp the gas station owner, and Jack Dupp the house mover.

Fictional, all, but here's a place that's for real: For a good time, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dildo,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador