Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    haven't a clue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

haven't a clue Login/Join

posted
I'm tring to figure out how a partcular crossword puzzle answer fits the clue.

Background: One answer is "yellow condiment;" mustard, as in Colonel. That's whodunit. Next comes "prepare for a test" as in study; that's where.

The final answer is "after rubber soul." This is clearly supposed to suggest a weapon, from the game of Clue, which limits it to gun, rope, candlestick, knife, wrench, and lead pipe. I suspect it's trying to be the lead pipe, but for the life of me I can't see a connection.

Whaddaya think??

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I KNOW! I KNOW!

Think entymological music from Liverpool. Does that help? (cross threading here, just for fun)

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup.

"Entomology"/etymology/insects/beetles/Beatles/Liverpool music.
After Rubber Soul came Revolver.

Good thinking!

(Now I have to check, because I think the picture of the weapons in Clue showed a .45, not a revolver. Picky, picky, picky...)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Yup.

"Entomology"/etymology/insects/beetles/Beatles/Liverpool music.
After _Rubber Soul_ came _Revolver_.

Good thinking!

(Now I have to check, because I think the picture of the weapons in Clue showed a .45, not a revolver. Picky, picky, picky...)

Since the game has been around for a long time, I'll bet that the original game used a revolver. However, just to be even more picky, revolvers can be in .45 calibre; it's not the ammunition, but the design of the pistol that's the determining factor. You were no doubt thinking of the old government-issue Colt .45ACP sem-automatic pistol, weren't you?

Off on a tangent here: I've long wondered why, when NATO went metric, 30 caliber became 7.62mm, and 50 caliber became 12.7mm. Despite my being a metrics supporter, such terms seem clumsy!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even further off the subject - I seem to recall from Korea days that Chinese weapons are 51-caliber and ours are 50-caliber, so in a pinch they could use our captured ammunition in machine guns, but we couldn't use theirs.

Clumsy is as clumsy does.

And yes, I meant the Colt .45 with the magazine in the handle, not a revolver. Don't have my own set any more to verify, but that's what the picture that comes with the instructions seems to show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,