Find
Notify
Tools

TUSHERY Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
From KHC (she can't start discussions here, presumably because of her browser):

The next word is TUSHERY..

I'll take daffynitions all this week... and will post answers on the weekend.

[KHC, how would you like them to send you their daffynitions?]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can "read" private posts, I just can't reply.. so that is fine; it also sends to my email.

Thank you, Kalleh.

I await all definitions with anticipation.. if all you smarties know this word, I'm toast..Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in.

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, Shufitz, Asa, jerry, Winterbranch (where has she been?), Chris J, Tinman..Anyone reading this! .. send me something!

The more the merrier!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Me too then.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TUSHERY

I have seven (7) definitions so far...

Anyone else want to give it a try?? On Thursday, I'll post definitions and everyone can vote.

posted Hide Post
I have 11 (!) definitions... it's been a fun word. I can't post definitions, so I've asked for a little help from my friends. Look for them on Friday... I hope!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are the definitions from KHC:

TUSHERY - Let's vote!

1. Vulgar slang term for the part of the anatomy you sit on. Jocular coinage from tush, itself an alteration of Yiddish tokhes, buttocks. Can be used as a singular, but more commonly used as a plural or collective term. The exact origin is unknown. Some sources say a college student coined it in the 1970's during the notorious spring breaks at Ft. Lauderdale, FL, when he exclaimed, "Look at all that tushery out there!"

2. An Indian military chief.

3. TUSH'-ery, "u" as in hush - belittling or dismissive language, foolishness; coined by Oscar Wilde, first appeared in Lady Windermere's Fan; from "Pish-tush!", a popular phrase of the mid to late 19th century.

4. A love note from the French - "Tu, Cherie", which is how WWI era GI's would start letters to their French girlfriends.

5. A storehouse of ivory; a warehouse where elephants' tusks are kept.

6. The extreme desire to acquire material goods; covetousness.

7. A heavy wallhanging decoration made of a velvet-like material, popular in Victorian homes.

8. A whale rendering factory.

9. A large room populated by sedentary office workers, i.e. a factory where people sit on their tushes.

10. A form of high-flown, pretentious writing; usually larded with archaisms, like that in some sentimentalized historical novels.

11. A place for making and repairing chair seats. This ancient art was usually practiced in a tushery, hence the term "tush". "Cushion" grew from a mispronunciation.

Have fun! Vote away!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no idea, but I will guess # 7.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I cast my secret ballot for Number Ten.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kalleh! I'll collect votes all weekend and post answers, if possible, on Monday.

Good luck, everyone..Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
10 for me, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
1,3,4,and 11 all sound like they have been deliberately contrived after the fact to sound as if they are related to other more common words.

Away, I reject you all out of hand !

5? tush/tusk maybe but seems quite a stretch to me.

So that leaves me 2,6,7,8,9 and 10.

I like 7 and 10 but, in a spirit of nothing but perversity, as they have already been voted for I'll reject them and go for

Final answer.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dammit, I _like_ # 4. Even if I invented it myself. If it isn't correct, it should be!

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
Using B.H.'s logic, I'll go for #8.

But hold on a minute! HOLD EVERYTHING!!

For the second word in a row, my definition has gotten screwed up in translation. Am I not typing loudly enough? B.H. remarked that he believed that he could identify my invented definitions 95% of the time (Hmmpht!) so when I submitted answer #9 I added, in parenthesis something along the lines of "OK, B.H., let's see you recognize 95% of that!" Somehow, the parenthetical info didn't make the boat.

I also submitted a "real" false definition, knowing that no one would vote for the other one, but now feel moved to caution everyone not to vote for #9. Unless of course you suspect a trick which, I suppose, is possible.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, CJ... I thought your parenthetical words to Bob Hale were along the lines of those bubbles above cartoon characters' heads... I didn't know that you wanted me to include it...

Let the voting continue.. please..Smile

posted Hide Post
Hab, Tinman, Shu, ... everybody... VOTE!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Both 6 and 8 seem so different from the rest that I'm sure one or the other is correct. So I'll guess that Tushery is an extreme desire to acquire whale oil and baleen. Uhhh, oh, hell, I'll pick 6. That's probably a whale of a wrong guess, but that's my (whale) tale and I'm stinking to it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Either 3 or 10. What! I only get one vote? I guess I'll pick 10, then.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Of course you'd pick that one - you're the 10 man!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll make it official: one vote for 4. I think I read it somewhere.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, Hab and CJ, is anyone going to pick 4 or 9 now....unless of course you're trying to fool us...hmmmm! Wink

Kay, you may get the award for the most interesting Bluffing word, with all of these comments! I haven't looked it up yet (to do that now!), but after everyone's in-depth analyses, I hope it has something to do with the "tush!"

posted Hide Post
oh my. It's #10. Sorry, Kalleh, but it has nothing to do with hineys. It's not just bad writing, but excessive use of stilted, high falootin, or archaic words in an effort to sound erudite and learned. Sort of like I just did. <G>

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Of course you'd pick that one - you're the 10 man!

I knew there was a good reason why I picked 10. I just didn't know what it was!

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jo, we welcome you to the board with open arms! Big Grin

The Bluffing Game is a fun game that we play where one person (called a wordmistress or master...this time KHC) posts a rather obscure word. Then the members make guesses until the the master or mistress posts the correct answers. I can understand the confusion because the title of this thread (my doing! Mad) just has the word "Tushery" posted. We'll have to remember to put the Bluffing Game in the title of these threads because of our new members.

Jo, will you please be our wordmistress? I will send you a private message about the rules.

However, at this point, KHC, I think we will have to call this game over. Thanks for an excellent word! Wink

posted Hide Post
Frown Red Face Roll Eyes

gulp... i sowwy

yes, I guess i could do that. be the whatever it is. my bad...

Confused

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No problem, Jo. I started the thread for KHC because her browser gives her problems with this site, and I should have named it, "Bluffing Game - Tushery." My bad!

I will PM you our rules, though here is a post about them too.

posted Hide Post
My, God! Gone for less than 12 hours... and everything goes to hell in a handbasket. I have emailed faithful Kalleh the authors of each definition... and who fooled whom. I'm sure she'll post when she has time. I can only do Quick Reply.. and I'm too long winded for that. #10 was the answer, as Jo told everyone... Jerry, Arnie and Tinman were the winners (?)...

I've done my job, and will go sit on my tush...Smile

posted Hide Post
Jo,
Please don't feel bad... you didn't know! No chest beating required. We are relaxed and friendly ..Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oooops, sorry, I forgot. KHC sent me these results, and I was supposed to have posted these (Freudian slip, since I got no points! Mad):

1. Vulgar slang term for the part of the anatomy you sit on. Jocular coinage from tush, itself an alteration of Yiddish tokhes, buttocks. Can be used as a singular, but more commonly used as a plural or collective term. The exact origin is unknown. Some sources say a college student coined it in the 1970's during the notorious spring breaks at Ft. Lauderdale, FL, when he exclaimed, "Look at all that tushery out there!" Author- Tinman; fooled no one.

2. An Indian military chief. Author- Kalleh; fooled no one.

3. TUSH'-ery, "u" as in hush - belittling or dismissive language, foolishness; coined by Oscar Wilde, first appeared in Lady Windermere's Fan; from "Pish-tush!", a popular phrase of the mid to late 19th century. Author-Haberdasher; fooled no one.

4. A love note from the French - "Tu, Cherie", which is how WWI era GI's would start letters to their French girlfriends. Author - Haberdasher; fooled himself.

5. A storehouse of ivory; a warehouse where elephants' tusks are kept. Author-Arnie; fooled no one.

6. The extreme desire to acquire material goods; covetousness. Author- CJ; fooled BobHale, Asa

7. A heavy wallhanging decoration made of a velvet-like material, popular in Victorian homes. Author-Bob Hale; fooled Kalleh.

8. A whale rendering factory. Author - Asa; fooled no one.

9. A large room populated by sedentary office workers, i.e. a factory where people sit on their tushes. Author - CJ; meant to "not" fool BobHale, didn't.. but his real "fake" definition did..Smile

10. A form of high-flown, pretentious writing; usually larded with archaisms, like that in some sentimentalized historical novels. The CORRECT definition of Tushery; voted for by jerry, arnie and the 10man.

11. A place for making and repairing chair seats. This ancient art was usually practiced in a tushery, hence the term "tush". "Cushion" grew from a mispronunciation. Author - JerryThomas; fooled no one.

Here are the points:

arnie - 39
CJ - 25.5
Kalleh - 25 Mad
Asa - 24
Bob - 22
KHC - 17.5
Jerry - 17
Haberdasher - 7 (no points for fooling yourself!)
Tinman - 7
Shu - 6
WinterBranch - 4
Wordnerd - 3
jheem - 3
Jo - 2

For the record, the low-scorers don't play regularly.

Postscript: Apologies to Asa! I had forgotten your score. Another Freudian slip maybe? Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kalleh.. my computer problems are a pain in the.... well, you know.

Arnie is so far ahead.. I can barely see him, a blur leading the pack. You and CJ are neck and neck..Smile... and Bob is breathing down your neck!