Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    England vs America vs The Rest of the World
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

England vs America vs The Rest of the World Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Recent mention of wildflowerchild by some inexplicable train of thought has reminded me that we haven’t had a quiz for ages. So here’s a quiz to tie in with recent discussions in other threads.

America vs England vs The Rest of the World

Below are fifteen quotes about countries from which the country names have been removed. Five are about America or Americans, five are about England or the English and there is one each for Canada, Ireland, France, Australia and Russia.

The scoring is one point for each quote correctly matched to its country.

There are no points for attributing the quotes as some are very obscure and some have multiple attributions. You can go ahead and try if you wish.

1. The average __________ practises that hateful religion of ordinariness.

2. If you are to eat well in __________, eat three breakfasts.

3. __________ is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual intervention of civilization.

4. All __________ lecture, I suppose it is something in their climate.

5. We are the first race in the world and the more of the world we inherit the better it is for the human race.

6. You have to know a man awfully well in __________ to know his surname.

7. The __________ think incompetence is the same thing as sincerity.

8. The thing that impresses me most about __________ is the way parents obey their children.

9. We were not fairly beaten. No __________ is ever fairly beaten.

10. The simple thing is to consider the __________ as an erratic and brilliant people… who have all the gifts except that of running their country.

(Shame on anyone who doesn’t get this one!)
11. I cannot forecast to you the action of __________. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma:

12. The problem with __________ is that it is acountry full of genius but with absolutely no talent.

13. __________ is a nation created not out of geography and genetics but of purpose.

14. __________ is a mistake, a giant mistake.

15. __________ is the paradise of individuality, eccentricity, heresy, anomalies, hobbies and humors.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I have answers... do I post them or send them by email? I can't private post.. can I send by email? I don't have your address..

This is fun!

KHC

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You can email to robertjhale@gmail.com

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So far only KHC has had a go at this quiz. Surely somebody else would like a go !

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Still only got KHC an caterwauler. It can't be that hard surely?
If no-one else has had a go by Sunday I'll post the answers.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
It's really trickier than I thought it would be. Maybe everyone else is too fearful of getting them all wrong?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come on, fellow posters... this is a fun quiz.. Bob has promised not to headline our ignorance...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Rather disappointed to only have two attempts made at this quiz.
Still for KHC and caterwauller here are the answers.

1.The average AUSTRALIAN practises that hateful religion of ordinariness. (Patrick White)

2. If you are to eat well in ENGLAND, eat three breakfasts. (W Somerset Maugham)

3.AMERICA is the only nation in history which miraculously has gone directly from barbarism to degeneration without the usual intervention of civilization. (George Clemenceau although almost identicle quotes are attributed to John O’Hara and Oascar Wilde)

4. All AMERICANS lecture, I suppose it is something in their climate. (Oscar Wilde)

5. We are the first race in the world and the more of the world we inherit the better it is for the human race. (ENGLAND, Cecil Rhodes)

6. You have to know a man awfully well in CANADA to know his surname. (John Buchan)

7. The ENGLISH think incompetence is the same thing as sincerity. (Quentin Crisp)

8. The thing that impresses me most about AMERICA is the way parents obey their children. (Edward VIII)

9. We were not fairly beaten. No ENGLISHMAN is ever fairly beaten.(George Bernard Shaw)

10. The simple thing is to consider the FRENCH as an erratic and brilliant people… who have all the gifts except that of running their country. (James Cameron)

11. I cannot forecast to you the action of RUSSIA. It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: (Winston Churchill)

12. The problem with IRELAND is that it is acountry full of genius but with absolutely no talent. (Hugh Leonard)

13. AMERICA is a nation created not out of geography and genetics but of purpose. (Theodore H White)

14. AMERICA is a mistake, a giant mistake.(Sigmund Freud)

15. ENGLAND is the paradise of individuality, eccentricity, heresy, anomalies, hobbies and humors. (George Santayana)

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, Bob. Now I'm trying to remember what I had guessed for each one! LOL This was a fun quiz!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I got them all right Big Grin.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cat:
Well, I got them all right Big Grin.

I'd expect no less.
Sadly your email with the answers must have gone astray so I'm afraid that's null points.

posted Hide Post
I think I just missed #1 and #13..
Thanks, Bob... that was great fun.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am sorry, Bob. Somehow I missed this. It looked fun, though I am sure I wouldn't have done well.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post