Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    White trash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White trash Login/Join

posted
SFGate.com posted a photo in their Day in Pictures of a sign in Salem, Oregon that says "American Nazi Party." The group has adopted a highway there. The photo shows a man tacking a notice to the sign saying, "They only pick up white trash." It's caused quite a stir in Oregon. I tried to paste the picture here but failed. Frown

Posts: 235 | Location: Portland, OregonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find that picture on the SFGate.com site, so they must have removed it, but I did find this on another site:
quote:
A SIGN OF THE TIMES?
-------------------
It would be hard to work up any sympathy for the racist pinhoods of the Ku Klux Klan. It appears, though, that they've finally lost in their long series of expensive court battles to be included in the Missouri Highway Department's "Adopt-A-Highway" cleanup program.

This is a battle the KKK started in 1994 and took all the way to the Supreme Court, arguing that they had the right to pick up trash and have their name on signs along that part of the highway, just like any other group. They were battling for a section of highway I-55 used in the court-ordered busing of Black children to formerly segregated schools in near St. Louis. The state refused, citing the well-known racial requirements of the Klan's membership, which demand that prospective members be white, or at least, muddy pink.

The high court reluctantly agreed with the Klan's position that they were indeed an organization, no matter how biased or perverse, and ordered the state to allow them into the program.

But the State of Missouri, wanting no part of the KKKlueless, exercised their own rights, and renamed that particular stretch of I-55 as the "Rosa Parks Freeway." Parks was a central figure in the Birmingham Bus boycott in 1955 that launched the civil rights career of a then-unknown preacher named Martin Luther King, Jr.

I suppose it is then no surprise that the Klan never cleaned up the road and were finally kicked out of the clean-up group last year. "Groups are required to pick up litter four times a year in this program, and our records indicated that the Klan had not fulfilled their adoption agreement," said Missouri Department of Transportation spokeswoman Megan Casalone. "They have never picked up anything off the highway." (Reuters)

[And even if they did go out, it's well known that they only pick up white trash...]

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post