Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Can I ask a question?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I ask a question? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Do others share my agreement, with wfc, that it might be good to be able to send messages to each other? For that, should each of us think of putting an e-mail address in our profile?

Do you realize how hard it was to phrase this as a question? wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you realize what a great job you did there shufitz?

wild, if I sent you my e-mail addy, would you send the pic to me to post on my community, so you can post a link to it there?

Does anyone else have a way to post it?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm not keen on publishing my email address on the forum; I get quite enough spam as it is; however, the "Private Topics" link should enable us to contact each other privately, shouldn't it?

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you seen this post by Sarah that explains private topics? If I start a private topic with you to test it, will you answer it arnie?

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Morgan,

Certainly. I've answered privately. Check your "Private topics" link.

posted Hide Post
Does everyone know how nice the private topic section is? And did you know that it does work?!

Do we even remember that we were trying to get shufitz to move his velocopede? Asa? Is that your cat in wild's garden? Have I gone utterly berserk? big grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
>> "get shufitz to move his velocopede"

Were you thinking of the feminist comment, woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle? Would ghoti-bowl have an insider's perspective on that comment?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Would ghoti-bowl have an insider's perspective on that comment?

What new insights would a sock-puppet have? Come to think of it, what is the sex of Lamb Chop?

posted Hide Post
Did I hear my name called? If I'm a sock puppet, does that mean I have to wash my feet? razz Did lambchop have a gender?

posted Hide Post
So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that every thread on here eventually devolves into a discussion of beer or sex? Why is that? Is this just a teen chat room with impressive verbiage? Could someone help me with this? And lastly, why have I spent an entire afternoon on here if I hate it so much? Am I kidding myself? Do I really love it like my last Lithium-powered girlfriend? And when she told me she was bi, why didn't I ask if she meant 'polar'? Purest optimism? Or purest lechery?
TC?

Posts: 12 | Location: HoustonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What is there in life more important than beer or sex? Aren't we simply reflecting the human condition?

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ThunderChicken:
Is this just a teen chat room with impressive verbiage?

At first I thought you misused the word verbiage. Then I reread it and thought that perhaps impressive verbiage was subtle sarcasm.

Verbiage was Word of the Day on August 6, 1999. (http://www.dictionary.com/wordoftheday/archive/1999/08/06.html) Verbiage is wordiness, or, as Merriam-Webster says, "excessive wordiness". (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary) In other words, "hot air". The politician who makes a 5-minute speech and says little or nothing is verbose; i.e, practicing verbiage.

Many people use the word to mean "wording". To add insult to injury, they also mispronounce it. All three syllables should be pronounced: vur-bee-ij; but often the "i" is not pronounced and it comes out "vur-bij". (see the usage note at the Word of the Day address)

I thought I had read in The Mother Tongue, by Bill Bryson, that carriage and marriage were originally carryage and marryage and the "y", later changed to "i", was pronounced. But I can't find it now, and the Word of the Day usage note seems to imply the "i" was never pronounced. Can anybody help me here?

Well, enough "verbiage" from me.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you thing tinman would mind if I copied his question over to start a new thread, since the question merits it?

And will someone else be able to answer it? If I try, and start browsing through Brysson, how will I get anything else done tonight?

posted Hide Post
Do you ever get anything else done wordnerd?

Did anyone else have a beautiful pink and purple sunset to enjoy tonight?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that every thread on here eventually devolves into a discussion of beer or sex? Why is that? Is this just a teen chat room with impressive verbiage?[

ThunderChicken, have you looked at any of the serious word posts, especially in questions & answers?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was just kidding about 'teen chat'. Sorry for the confusion. Finding this site has been one of the happier accidents of this year for me.
Be well,
TC

Posts: 12 | Location: HoustonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, T.C., you are saying you are happy you found us? And you are less confused? Now how can I get you to use questions here? Do you know that I am not picking on you, but that the name of the thread is "Can I ask a question?"? Do you have any idea how happy I am that you came back? big grin

posted Hide Post
Morgan, could it be that TC cleverly mentioned teen chat just to see if we noticed that he was getting in in an extra plug for his initials? wink cool

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Awww, TC, did I sound cranky? Will you please accept my apology? red face

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you think you sounded cranky, Kalleh? You did apologize, didn't you? Do you know who left the cactus next to shufitz's velocopede? eek

posted Hide Post
Shufitz, haven't you moved that velocopede yet? And who put beer in my cactus? big grin

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
And who put beer in my cactus?
Quoting W.C. Fields,
"Who took the cork out of my lunch??!!"