Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limericks based on LEICESTER
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limericks based on LEICESTER Login/Join

posted
Your assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to write a limerick based on
LEICESTER.

Around here it's pronounced LEST-er but if you'd like to pronounce it the longer way feel free; there's plenty of precedent.

There should be all kinds of potential for being risque or gross or clever, buried not very deeply. Go for it!

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks! Ohhh, yeah, that's a goood one!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll be thinking!

In the meantime, let's not use the poll for this game (see here). Simply collect the limericks, start a new thread with all the limericks, like we do for the Bluffing Game. Let's try it.

[Speaking of which, we need to get the Bluffing Game going again!]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
LEICESTER.Around here it's pronounced LEST-er but if you'd like to pronounce it the longer way feel free; there's plenty of precedent.

I say "Coventry". Is that acceptable?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Simply collect the limericks, start a new thread with all the limericks, like we do for the Bluffing Game.

I'm a little confused. In the bluffing game, there is a 'right' answer. So when daffynitions are collected, initiator lists them, w/one of them (the winner) noted as the correct definition. If we do the limerick game without a poll, does that mean that no one votes except the initiator of the game?
[/QUOTE]

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like it would have to work with either, the voters will have to send the "host" their vote, and that host would have to track who voted for which limerick; or the voters post who they are voting for, but there would still have to be a scorekeeper to sort out the votes and the winner. You certainly have a software doing it for you with the poll method.

Geof might not have wanted voting at all, but he can speak for himself on that.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If one looks back at the earliest limerick games one finds that we did not use a poll. The initiator posts the limericks, numbered #i through whatever, just as is done in a poll, but the poll is omitted. We all post our selection right out in public - no "secret ballot." That allows us to comment on our reason for the selection, or comparisons with others, etc.

If, as I suspect, Haberdasher posts the Leicester limericks sans poll, all will be clear. If it's not to your liking we can go back to polls, and if I should win again, I can continue to ask someone else to take my turn.

As Tom notes, the initiator is the scorekeeper and tie breaker if need be. And I DO enjoy the voting! It's just that my cognitive limitations make the poll format impossible for me to handle.

PS: if you look WAAAAAY back, I posted under the pseudonym, Asa Lovejoy.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geof might not have wanted voting at all, but he can speak for himself on that.

That's right. I vote for a poll. Shall we have a poll on it?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Riposted:

"No huhu," as Robert Heinlein wrote. The Poll and the free-standing vote aren't mutually exclusive. Certainly there's no problem with talking about the submissions after the poll closes; just ignore it entirely! Though if some do one thing and others do the other, the numbers may not total up.

By now my main reservation about polling has evolved into the divisiveness it's fostering.

Anyway - only one submission so far, so not much doubt about whose is the best!

The trouble is, verses on "Leicester"
We don't come upon every semester.
As of now there's just one
But when all's said and done
I am sure we can choose which is bester.

posted Hide Post
(No, that is most definitely NOT it!)

posted Hide Post
I'm not opposed to a poll per se, just the format of THIS poll. Is there no way to align the numbers with the circles one must check? As I've said before, I struggle to properly align them in my head, and have voted incorrectly at times.

Once the polling is finished we can discuss them.

Now, I've got a limerick to write!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The results so far are not displayed on the Poll Form so only way you can vote incorrectly, is if you are using the results so far to determine which one to vote for, rather than simply voting for the one you like best.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well this looks like a fun experiment courtesy of Haberdasher! I think I get how it works. Hab will let us know when submittal time has ended. Then we send our vote/comments if any to you via PM, right Hab?

p.s. I totally get what you mean Geoff. I eventually conquered the 'hosting' part of it, but still have to squint & doublethink to interpret the votes.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Down in Leicester, a woman named Sue
Asked softly, "would you like to screw?"
"Yes! I do! Yes! Indeed"
But I lost all my seed
In an inside-my-underwear spew.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm a little confused. In the bluffing game, there is a 'right' answer. So when daffynitions are collected, initiator lists them, w/one of them (the winner) noted as the correct definition. If we do the limerick game without a poll, does that mean that no one votes except the initiator of the game?

We still vote, Bethree - just in the thread. This way we'll know how everyone votes, of course. However, we usually let that be known anyway.

I get what you mean about reading the polls, Bethree. On the other hand, while I really don't care either way what we do, it does seem a little more "official" to do it by poll. But either way it'll be fun.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, just send Hab your stuff via PM, as usual. He'll take it from there.

Mine's in! (In what/where I won't say)

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is a video on how to pronounce English place names, including Leicester.

posted Hide Post
Just to establish limits - let's say two weeks should be a long enough time for creative juices to flow and bear fruit. Barring unforeseen circumstances I'll post the entries on February 4.

posted Hide Post
Oh, good - Dan Quayle's birthdate, now celebrated as National Foot in Mouth Day.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And - On February 4th, 1974, Patty Hearst was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army. (I'm just a bundle of facts!)

Thanks for the deadline, Hab. I am going to pester (aha!) my hubs to get his in. He comes up with so many good ones, but often doesn't send them in. Mad

posted Hide Post
Rosa Parks' birthdate also. You can stick my limerick at the back of the bus.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
...Thanks for the deadline, Hab. I am going to pester (aha!) my hubs to get his in. He comes up with so many good ones, but often doesn't send them in. Mad
"If you wish in this world to advance
Your merits you're bound to enhance
You must stir it and stump it
And blow your own trumpet
Or trust me you haven't a chance!"
- as Shu well knows, since it comes from G&S (Ruddigore)

Hey! That's a limerick, too! Gilbert was full of them!

<Proofreader>
posted
If you wish in this world to advance
If you keep in your drawers
That weapon of yours:
Keep your trumpet well-hid in your pance.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
If you wish in this world to advance
If you keep in your drawers
That weapon of yours:
Keep your trumpet well-hid in your pance.

Well, there's that, too...

posted Hide Post
Unless you're a nasty galoot
with actions reflecting a brute
You'll not publicly trumpet
What you use on a strumpet
But privately play the skin flute

Not a GS riff, unless I use my initials

Geoff Sanders

posted Hide Post
In this context it must take a particularly limber fellow to blow his own trumpet...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

posted Hide Post
It would be easier if you had a trombone.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu says: "But, Hab! I'm diffident, modest and shy." [Same song]

posted Hide Post
I knew there was a reason. And even if you didn't ask, you could recognize it as coming from a song by its rhythm. "...diffident, modest, and shy..." See? There's a half a limerick right there!

Speaking of which - we enter the fnal week for submissions. I have a modest bunch, but there are still a few regulars whose efforts haven't arrived yet - We're willing to read tham, we're wanting to read them, we're waiting to read them! (No, wait, wrong show; that's My Fair Lady - GBS, not G&S.)

posted Hide Post
For those less-smitten by Gilbert and Sullivan the following explanatory quote from Ruddigore is offered:

My boy, you may take it from me,
That of all the afflictions accurst
With which a man's saddled
And hampered and addled,
A diffident nature's the worst...

Now take, for example, my case:
I've a bright intellectual brain --
In all London city
There's no one so witty--
I've thought so again and again...

Then I sing and I play and I paint:
Though none are accomplished as I,
To say so were treason:
You ask me the reason?
I'm diffident, modest, and shy!

If you wish in this world to advance,
Your merits you're bound to enhance,
You must stir it and stump it
And blow your own trumpet
Or, trust me, you haven't a chance!

(Exit Robin.)

To which I can only say, if the shoe fits, wear it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:

Around here it's pronounced LEST-er but if you'd like to pronounce it the longer way feel free; there's plenty of precedent.

The longer way? You mean Ratae Corieltauvorum? Egadszooksomighty, that takes up the whole first line of the limerick!

posted Hide Post
At the risk of not acknowledging the tongue in the cheek -

Yes, that is longer, but the canonical "longer way" is LIE-ces-ter.

posted Hide Post
Okay, Folks, Last Call. Take some time off from your shoveling, or between SuperBowl commercials, or instead of watching altogether if you find it too suspenseful, and send in your Leicesterian Limericks if you haven't yet.

I'll take entries until Monday, process them Tuesday, and post them Wednesday.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Okay, Folks, Last Call. Take some time off from your shoveling
No need. The horse is gone, and the closest politician is nine miles distant.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You know what the worst part is of all this shoveling? Seeing my Facebook friends in California, Florida and Arizona who are posting pictures of roses and saying, "Winter in Florida;" or "Not missing winter." Ugh. It's almost as bad as those annoying Patriot fans talking about how stupid the Seahawks were.

Now - to get back to shoveling...Wink

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Poor NJ has been suffering w/the snow/melt/ice/more snow cycle, & weather channel ominously portends 6 more such cycles for metro-NY! It’s difficult when you have to park some vehicles in driveway, others on street, juggling as you try not to get plowed/iced in on street yet get the whole driveway plowed… We are slowly adapting, but the town has insufficient budget to do right by the side streets, & our town is almost entirely side streets! Today it was a blessing to get out of the driveway & on the road again after 2 days But stairs & curb areas are iced up everywhere, & I’m gunshy, w/tailbone still hurting after a fall on stairs to driveway 2 wks ago…