Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game Rules
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game Rules Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have decided to start a new thread regarding our Bluffing Game rules, which seem to get more intricate as the games proceed!

1) The wordmaster posts the word, in a new thread and labelling it as "Bluffing Game - word," asking people to PM (or email) him/her their daffynitions, allowing about a week, give or take a few days. A nudge is usually required. About 6 definitions are average.

2) The wordmaster posts the definitions, and people will post their guesses. Again, give the guessers up to a week, and yet another nudge may be required. About 6 guesses are average.

3) If a guesser knows the definition, please don't post it as your daffynition. Make up a good one, and you will get your points when you guess the correct answer.

4) If the wordmaster gets daffynitions that are very similar to the real definition, he/she may want to ask those who submitted them to change their definitions.

5) Points = 3 for posting a word where no one gets the correct answer; 2 for getting the right answer; 1 for fooling people with your daffynition.

6) The wordmaster posts the results and may update the score. If he/she doesn't want to update the scores, I am happy to. The wordmaster might also recommend the next wordmaster.

7) If you choose your own daffynition, it goes without saying that you don't get a point for that.

8) [This rule was added on 6/10/04 after Hab's game.] Each wordmaster is allowed to post 2 daffynitions. The wordmaster will then get 1 point each time a wordcrafter chooses his/her daffynition.

9) It is not acceptable to look up the word, of course. However, you also are not allowed to use a dictionary in any way, even in refining your definition. The latter part of this rule has been debated on both sides, and personally I don't agree with it. However, when a couple people on the chat said that using a dictionary might lead to cheating, I think we must change that rule. I would hate for anyone to think that cheating is going on in this game.

10) THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE HERE IS: Have fun! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Ragarding your last point, Kalleh, you DO mean "consult a dictionary" for indirect etymological help with the word, don't you? Were we to directly just look it up, that would spoil the whole point of the game!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Ragarding point #9, Kalleh, you DO mean "consult a dictionary" for indirect etymological help with the word, don't you? Were we to directly just look it up, that would spoil the whole point of the game!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I meant using a dictionary to refine the daffynition. Yes, of course looking up the word itself defeats the purpose. I will change it accordingly...and thanks for that clarification!

I think it is funny to look at our intricate rules here. We are sticklers, aren't we! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
After significant discussion on our chat today, I have changed rule number 9 above. Please note that it is no longer acceptable to use a dictionary to refine your daffynition.

Thanks for adhering to the rules! Smile