Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Mydriatic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Mydriatic Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Mydriatic should be easy for a couple of you, but it sounds as if it might be lots of things, sooooooo, those of you who know it, please send me a really good daffynition by PM! (Don't make MY mistake!!!)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
Mydriatic should be easy for a couple of you, but it sounds as if it might be lots of things, sooooooo, those of you who know it, please send me a really good daffynition by PM! (Don't make MY mistake!!!)

Before making an enlarged space in your head when you're half way accross the south-eastern seas, I beg, tell us: What is your mistake? Where do we find it?

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think Asa may be referring to his excellent definition in the last game...which he posted here in an open forum rather than sending it via PM. And before he beats himself up too much about it it should be noted that all of us have done it from time to time - me included.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck, I did him one better. The first time I came across this game, it wasn't labeled "Bluffing Game". I don't remember what it was, but it didn't say bluffing. So I pedantically informed everyone just what the correct definition was. Frown
Red Face

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I have heard this game called "The Dictionary Game" or "Balderdash," but never "The Bluffing Game."

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
We chose "Bluffing Game" arbitrarily. It is indeed the old "Dictionary" parlor game, the commercial version of which, as you noted, is "Balderdash."

No, where's your PM to me with a daffynition!?!? Big Grin

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, where's your PM to me with a daffynition!?!? Big Grin

You meant "Jo," didn't you--I've already sent one.

"Wo."

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
[QUOTE]
You meant "Jo," didn't you--I've already sent one.

"Wo."

Ohhhh, so you have! As they say, a mind is a terrible thing to waste, and in my case it's totally wasted! Frown

It's Pearce who posted here but hasn't sent a PM. Pearce, may we have the pleasure of your participation here with a daffynition via PM?

And yes, Bob Hale is correct regarding my mistake. Easy enough to do, but frustrating when you've really worked hard on a good daffynition!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
That's all right. As Dan Quayle once said, "It's a terrible thing to lose one's mind." Gosh, those seem like the good old days!

Hopefully you'll post the submissions soon. I'll be on the road for a few days, starting tomorrow, and may not be able to access e-mail. I haven't sent my daffynition to the whole list (yet) but what I have done is miss the voting almost every single time! (Not that they even give away refrigerator magnets for winning--but who needs prizes when we have such prized imaginations!)

Wordmatic

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since I don't want Wordmatic to miss out on the fun, I'll post the daffynitions, plus the real definition, now:

1; Of or pertaining to the mydrium, a system of canals in the necks of dinosauria of the family brachiosaurus. Paleobiologists believe the mydrium maintained fluid pressure necessary to provide adequate oxygenated blood flow to the brains of these exceptionally long-necked animals.

2: Of or pertaining to pupil dilation.

3: A substance that affects weight gain or loss.

4: Of or pertaining to Mydriatos, an ancient Phonecian city, where the earliest theory of unreal numbers was conceptualized.

5: The area of the Mediterranean Sea encompassing the Greek islands.

6: of or pertaining to parts of the small intestines

7: A very effective Indian weapon made by attaching a 2- foot long leather-covered handle to a 3-pound stone. Used as a club.

8: (micro-organisms) lacking a cell wall.

9: mydriatic - promoting urination

10: the region lying between the Myditerranian and the Adriatic.

OK, boys and girls, which one is it?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Asa--

I'll vote for 2.

wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
# 2 please.

Boy...I bet no one chooses mine; it definitely is the weak sister. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
FOUR is tempting but I'll vote for TWO.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll go with the flow and pick 2. (Bet ya thought I was going to pick 9.)

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Everyone is going for 2 so just to be different I'll pick the preposterous 1.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
2 please!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]
2. please.

Perhaps my offered daffynition [Before making an enlarged space (dilated) in your head(eyes-->pupils) when you're half way accross the south-eastern seas(-iatic)] fell on stony ground, or perhaps my addled brain failed to express itself clearly.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pearce:
[QUOTE]
2. please.

Perhaps my offered daffynition [Before making an enlarged space (dilated) in your head(eyes-->pupils) when you're half way accross the south-eastern seas(-iatic)] fell on stony ground, or perhaps my addled brain failed to express itself clearly.

Perhaps, then again perhaps no-one realised it was your daffynition because...it was posted in an open forum. Smile

posted Hide Post
Wasn't Seven-of-nine a Star Trek character? I'm going to two too. In my tutu. Ptoo!

There. That's six (the Topless Towers of Ileum...but I'm not voting for it)

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

Perhaps, then again perhaps no-one realised it was your daffynition because...it was posted in an open forum. Smile

Quite so. I was utterly confused - but what's new!?!? Confused

Sorry, Pearce, I didn't understand your riddle as a "daffynition" since it wasn't PMed to me. At least I'm in august company in making that mistake now! Big Grin

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
My mistake, Sorry. Some of the rules of posting, and the rules and origins of some word games still evade me. Told you my brain was addled. Now you have the proof.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by pearce:
Told you my brain was addled. Now you have the proof.

So, there are two of us with that syndrome here! Frown

Now, Sir, would you be so kind as to lead a round for us? I shall PM you with the pertinent details of doing so.

posted Hide Post
did I miss the post with the answer?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
1; Of or pertaining to the mydrium, a system of canals in the necks of dinosauria of the family brachiosaurus. Paleobiologists believe the mydrium maintained fluid pressure necessary to provide adequate oxygenated blood flow to the brains of these exceptionally long-necked animals.

Jo stuck her neck out in submitting this one, fooling Bob Hale.

2: Of or pertaining to pupil dilation.

As nearly all knew - or deduced during play - this is the real eye-opener.

3: A substance that affects weight gain or loss.

I fed you this just to add gravity to the game.

4: Of or pertaining to Mydriatos, an ancient Phonecian city, where the earliest theory of unreal numbers was conceptualized.

Wordmatic's imaginary voyages took her here.

5: The area of the Mediterranean Sea encompassing the Greek islands.

Arnie's offering. Hmmmm... Perhaps looking for Wordmatic?

6: of or pertaining to parts of the small intestines

Caterwauller had guts enough to offer this one.

7: A very effective Indian weapon made by attaching a 2- foot long leather-covered handle to a 3-pound stone. Used as a club.

Kalleh tried to club us into voting for her daffynition.

8: (micro-organisms) lacking a cell wall.

Bob's blobs of protoplasm.

9: mydriatic - promoting urination

Haberdasher leaked this one.

10: the region lying between the Myditerranian and the Adriatic.

Jerry Thomas offered this one.

Now, Pearce, how about taking a round? Smile

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, Pearce, how about taking a round? Smile

Next week, I hope.