Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    neologisms by children
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

neologisms by children Login/Join

posted
i love this!

http://finslippy.typepad.com/finslippy/2005/12/i_recover_henry.html

what words or phrases have you heard- or invented as a child?

posted Hide Post
I think I've said this on here before somewhere, but when I was very young (from about 2ish), I had the phrase 'owy owy cumpa' ('owy' pronounced to rhyme with 'cow-ee'), which according to my mum could be a substitute for a word I didn't know, or an expression on its own. And presumably, anything I wanted it to be.

I make up words now if I can't think of anything suitable that already exists, although they're usually just mutations of 'real' words, so my friends generally know what I mean. I'm not the only one either.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How fun! I loved "shnerb!"

My sweet youngest daughter used to sit in her car seat, thrusting herself backward and forward, sing heartily...3 songs that she made up! Her neologisms were probably more that she had trouble with pronunciations, but they were hilarious anyway. She kept saying, while driving, "Look at all those Hoisonplays." We didn't get it for a long time...then it came to us "license plates!"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hoisonplays...i love it!

i used to think it was 'a round of the plause' (applause) and called swings 'hours', I don't know why...

posted Hide Post
I'm still partial to using a "fly-smacker" in the summertime...even though its inventor is now 37.

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love "fly-smacker!" I think I am going to use that from now on, too!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sweet youngest daughter used to sit in her car seat, thrusting herself backward and forward, sing heartily...3 songs that she made up! Her neologisms were probably more that she had trouble with pronunciations.
Ah yes, I renember it well.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
I'm still partial to using a "fly-smacker" in the summertime...
I thought it was a flash-water, isn't it? Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post