Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick game - Highland Park
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick game - Highland Park Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Please send me your limericks on "Highland Park." I chuckled at the top link, under Interactive HP, being "Online Pothole Reporting Form." I think you all know how to pronounce it, so get going! Please send me your submissions by PM.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've already received 2 wonderful ones from Jerry. Some more, please?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've received 3 more from Richard, so let's keep 'em coming! I'd really like one from lisztman, a newbie and an esteemed member of OEDILF. Any other newbies? Jump in and try limerick writing. And it goes without saying that I'd like some submissions from some of you oldies!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just got 2 more...from lisztman. Thank you!

Come on, the rest of you. I need submissions!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
I chuckled at the top link, under Interactive HP, being "Online Pothole Reporting Form."

It's pothole season. Have you noticed Charlie Rose's shiner? Apparently he fell into one of NYC's more generous abysses while crossing an avenue...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll send a couple today

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you noticed Charlie Rose's shiner?

Who's Charlie Rose?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Have a look at this video: http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008/03/18/charlie_rose/index_np.html

quote:
... Rose tripped in a pothole walking down 59th St. in Manhattan.

The host, whom Arrington says is a gadget-hound, was carrying his new MacBook Air, and thus he had a big decision to make: Protect his face, or the beautiful machine? In the split-second before he kissed the pavement, Rose chose to save the computer.

"In doing so, he pretty much hit the pavement face first, unfortunately," producers told Arrington.

Producers say the MacBook Air was undamaged, save for the blood stains.

EDIT: In case anyone's wondering, the picture on the page I linked to is not a video as I had first thought, simply a screenshot. I found plenty of his videos(sans black eye) online through a Google search, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So he's some chat-show host, is he?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Charlie Rose is what I watch instead of 11pm metro-NYC-area local news. He is a rennaissance man (intellectually anyway)-- reminds me a bit of George Plimpton, whose interview shows I enjoyed watching in the '70's. Has that same sort of ability to get interesting people to share their ideas and enthusiasms.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
OK, I finally woke up and sent you one!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
"Snuck" another one in under the wire!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I got it! Thanks, and I will post the winner tomorrow. I got some goodies!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My lovely wireless went out of commission just as I finished putting together this entire post. Grrrr!

Once again...

I received some wonderful limericks and would love to award first place to all of them. Here they are:

Jerry

When Noah lived in Highland Park
He was ordered to build a big ark
It protected some mammals
Like rats, mice, and camels,
And the somewhat illusive ardvaark.

In the suburbs around Highland Park
It is futile to hunt an aardvark.
We know this at least:
It's an African beast
Not discovered by Lewis & Clark.

A dentrologist from Highland Park
Made a most memorable remark:
"The dogwood, if you please,
Is unique among trees.
It's outstanding because of its bark."

Lisztman

LOL. AFTER I wrote these, I worked my way back up the thread. And saw your top comment on potholes. I SWEAR I had no prior inkling!

No insult intended. I haven't been there. It looks pretty on the website. But I had fun:

Our relationship needed some spark,
So one night I said, "Just on a lark --
Show me something to try,
If Mom knew, she would die."
So he drove me to see Highland Park.

There's a website to plug Highland Park.
Entertainment and such after dark?
They must really need votes --
The first site link promotes
Filling potholes (a passing remark).

Bob Hale

First up one just to stretch the rhyme a bit.

A said, driving through Highland Park,
When the weather had grown vile and dark
"I don't care where we are
I'm exchanging the car
For something more worthwhile, an ark!"

And two other slightly more ordinary ones.

A man who came from Highland Park
Always said he was "up for a lark"
He was known around town
As a bit of a clown
(Though more of a rogue, after dark.)

A man who came from Highland Park
Thought his sex-life was lacking a spark
"So you think that it's bad?"
Said his wife, "Just be glad,
I'm not moved to some caustic remark."

Richard English

The hookers who used Highland Park
Would rarely be up with the lark.
Their common profession
Required some discretion -
With customers wanting the dark.

A lawyer from near Highland Park
Remarked to his articled clerk,
"You must charge them all twenty,
Though ten would be plenty,
Or they'll not think I'm some kind of shark."

In UK English the word "clerk" is pronounced "clark". An articled clerk is an apprentice in a professional firm in the UK and Commonwealth countries. The term is generally used in the accountancy and legal professions.

For my birthday I had Highland Park
(That's Scotch, I should maybe remark)
But just one month on
The bottle's all gone
And my cupboard's now lacking that spark.

Wordmatic

It's a place, I've no doubt, Highland Park;
But it's also a Scotch, smooth, not stark.
An Orcadian wonder,
Whose soft flavors thunder
Their peaty-fog way to the mark.

bethree5

A protective Dad in Highland Park
Warned his daughters: beware of the Snark!
Just at dusk does he wake
And creeps out of the lake
And his bite is much worse than his bark.

Well, I loved Jerry's aardvark one (the one with Lewis and Clark), and that gets first runner up. As usual, Bob's are clever, and his rhymes work beautifully for those of us in the U.S. Richard gets sex, lawyers and alcohol in his three...also very nice! Wordmatic's is deliciously descriptive, and she made me look up the Orkney Islands. And I love bethree5's about Lake Michigan and the snark.

However, I just had to select Lisztman's pot hole one because he actually wrote it before he had seen the link. Now, that's practically ESP! Congrats, Lisztman, and you're up next.

Great limericks, Wordcrafters! (Hopefully this Post Now will work!)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I am posting this to show that I am now aware of misspellings in a couple of previous posts. I plead senility.

"Dentrologist" should have been
dendroloist
and "Ardvaark" should have been
aardvark

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My lovely wireless went out of commission just as I finished putting together this entire post. Grrrr!

I had a wireless once. It was large and made of mahogany. Its interior was dark, musty and filled with glowing thermionic valves. With luck, lots of ariel and a dark evening, I could hear Radio Luxembourg loud enough to understand the disc-jockey's voice linking the pop records.

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
With luck, lots of ariel and a dark evening ...

I know of the spirit in Shakespeare's Tempest and Disney's Little Mermaid. One of Uranus's moons is named Ariel, too. There's also a detergent and the Ariel Atom sports car. None of these seems to fit, though. Confused Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote "Aerial" - but somehow my Windows spell-checker (that knows far more about these kinds of thing than I do) changed it. Maybe I should have written "scruffy piece of wire hanging from the window".

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot this lovely "just for phun" addition by Jerry:

A physicist from Highland Park
Was intent on describing a quark. ...
Physics. " ... any of the hypothetical particles with spin 1/2, baryon number 1/3, and electric charge 1/3 or −2/3 that, together with their antiparticles, are believed to constitute all the elementary particles classed as baryons and mesons; they are distinguished by their flavors, designated as up (u), down (d), strange (s), charm (c), bottom or beauty (b), and top or truth (t), and their colors, red, green, and blue. Compare color (def. 18), flavor (def. 5) ... "
As he said what he said
His students all fled
And he found himself lost in the dark.

I had it originally, and then with my complete rewrite...I forgot it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
If I may add this kudo to Lisztman's winning entry:

the only verse to parse, virtually flawlessly, this pesky anapest ("Highland Park", or ba-da-BING)