Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Is Lady Mondegreen available ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Lady Mondegreen available ??? Login/Join

Picture of jerry thomas
posted
Have Mondegreens already been discussed, explored, and shared in this community?

Should we have a Mondegreen Department?

If so, .... Back in the mid sixties, when I was a salesman, I was working in Boulder, Colorado, where my sister Betsy lived. Late one afternoon I telephoned my Answering Service to check for messages. "Yes, said the operator, "Mrs. Quest called and said you're expected for dinner."

"Who?"

"Your sister, Audry."

"OK. Thanks."

I arrived at Betsy's house just in time for dinner. I asked her if she had called the Answering Service, and if so, what exactly had she said.

Betsy thought for a minute, then repeated, "This is an odd request, but I want you to tell my brother he's expected here for dinner."

A little boy closely examined a Parker House roll at the dinner table, then asked his mother, "Why would they call this a biunder?"

He had heard someone on the radio singing, "When the roll is called a biunder, I'll be there."

Are there Mondegreens in your experience??

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, that's ok, we often repeat ourselves here!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But, that's ok, we often repeat ourselves here! Wink

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Last week my class was doing the listening section of the NOCN tests that are forming the basis for the college assessments this year.

One extract had quite a lot of unfamiliar vocabulary but after playing it several times most people wrote down their answers. When the class was over I sat down to mark them and on the very first paper was baffled by one of the answers. I played the tape again to check what it should be.

The correct answer to the question was "low income groups". One of my students who had clearly listened very carefully but to no avail had nevertheless made what I thought was a very good phonetic stab at it and written

"low in kangaroos".

Shame I couldn't give him the mark.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Bob! Big Grin

I think, in "CJ style", you should have at least given a half a point!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
(Out of the mouths of ... children saying prayers ...)

"Give us this day our jelly bread ...."

"Lead us not into temptation but deliver us some e-mail."

"Hey, man !!"

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post