Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Assinine words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Assinine words Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
I was idly thinking about words using the Greek root -pyg-, meaning -- well, I'll politely say 'buttocks'.

callipygian: having beautiful buttocks
steatopygous: having extremely large, fatty buttocks

It occurs to me that many like concepts could be spoken of with like formality, if we were to but(t) coin the words for posterity. However, I lack Greek. Could our scholars suggest for example how one would say smart-ass, wise-ass, dumb-ass, tight ass, and money coming out the ass? And could our non-scholarly men and women of the world suggest other candidates for like coinage? Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Tsuwm has a list of seven such words on the home page of his Worthless Word of the Day site. Scroll down the page to find it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
arnie, I think hic is proposing that we coin new -pyg- words to go with tsuwm's seven.

In that spirit, would an osculpygator be an ass kisser?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was idly thinking about words using the Greek root -pyg-, meaning

I wonder if the normal man or woman on the street thinks "idly" about such things. Wink

Even though the following is quite unrelated to the discussion in this thread, I want to share my OEDILF limerick on "assinine" because I like it and it is about a word:

Irregardless: An asinine word;
Yet over and over it's heard.
It's silly, inane,
And so foolish — insane!
Its meaning, regardless, is blurred.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think hic is proposing that we coin new -pyg- words to go with tsuwm's seven.

I realise that.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hic et ubique:

callipygian: having beautiful buttocks
steatopygous: having extremely large, fatty buttocks

It occurs to me that many like concepts could be spoken of with like formality, if we were to but(t) coin the words for posterity. However, I lack Greek. Could our scholars suggest for example how one would say smart-ass, wise-ass, dumb-ass, tight ass, and money coming out the ass? And could our non-scholarly men and women of the world suggest other candidates for like coinage? Wink

My scholarly side suggests the following:

smart-ass -> nuisancepyg
wise-ass -> nuisancepyg
dumb-ass -> estupidopyg
tight-ass -> donttouchmypyg
money coming out of the ass -> whatapyg

Posts: 83 | Location: Northbrook, ILReply With QuoteReport This Post