Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Funny words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny words Login/Join

posted
I once read that someone had chosen pickle as one of the funniest words in the English language. Since then I have come across several lists of words that some find inherently funny. Among them are kumquat, oxymoron, discombobulate, frumpy, banana, prune, flabbergast and persnickety.

That's not my wisdom; I'm quoting Richard Creed of the Winston-Salem Journal of July 24. He is my inspirer (or is it inspirator?) Creed lists 'serendipity' as one of his favorites, and titles his article Coming across funny word, quite by chance.

Somewhere or other we've done a thread of words that sound beautiful. How about words that sound funny? One that comes to mind for me is 'gurgle'.

posted Hide Post
Almost _all_ words sound funny, if you say them over and over and over and over and...and...often enough Just try it.

How about "pump" for starters? That's a good one!

Posts: 6271 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
burgle, rigamarole, and skew...Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post