Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game changes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game changes? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Because the game's just no fun for me due to two players' always getting it right, I have a proposal: How about if ONLY Jo and arnie supply the words, letting the rest of us supply the daffynitions and do the guessing or dudcing?

Is that OK with all concerned?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is Jo's husband... unfortunately she will not be participating in anything for a while. She had another light stroke today. Fortunately we recognized the signs quickly and she got clot buster treatment early enough to prevent a full blown stroke. But there has been some impairment.

I will keep you posted if you want. She would love to get cards if anyone is so inspired. Jo Jemison; 416 S. Mass. Ave.; Mason City, IA 50401

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Very sorry to hear that, but pleased that you got such prompt treatment. Please pass on my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bob

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm really sorry to hear that. Do keep us posted. I'm sure everyone here sends their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Please give Jo my best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
And now my thoughts on Asa's suggestion: Asa, I don't agree that the same two people should always be the ones to suggest the words, just because they always guess the correct definitions. Even though it is frustrating to us that we've never been able to fool them Frown , it would be unfair to ask them, essentially, not to play the game, but to run it for the rest of us.

I still have fun with it because I learn new, obscure words, and people submit strange and wonderful daffynitions--like that one about gnomes in the Pacific Northwest...You have to do some creative thinking to create a good bluff. That's also part of the fun.

My feeling is we should leave the game as it is, and not place any undue burden of responsibility on our most brilliant players, just because--dagnabbit!--some of our vocabularies may not be quite as as extensive as theirs. The point is that each of us can enjoy this for different reasons. It doesn't have to be all about the winning, does it?

It just wouldn't be fair to Arnie and Jo to make them do all the heavy lifting, and now with Jo ill, that would put it all on Arnie, so I vote "no."

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Me too... I concur. But really only because I want to start the game at some point. I have a dictionary with words you can't even google. My descriptionary with the "catchfools" in it... I can't wait to use one of those truly obscure words!

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, please start it then. I can't wait!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Go, TrossL, go!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
So long as Sockpuppet doesn't get to guess ... Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Can words be proposed by those who haven't played the game? I have something in mind ... Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I think that proposing a word IS playing the game, and that the more who wish to play, the merrier!

Come on in, Shufie . . . the water's great!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Go for it, Shu! My idea fell resoundingly flat, sooooooo......

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
oooOOOOOhhh--it's a TrossL-Shu race to the starting line....who will get there first? Which will befuddle the greater number of unsuspecting spectators? Where will it all end?

Go for it, you two!

The Bluffing Game Lives!
Long Live the Bluffing Game!

Hey, I don't care if there are two going on at once. Please, somebody please, liven up my Bleak Midwinter!

Wordmatic

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Unless you tell me 2-at-once-is-OK, Tross should go ahead of me.

(I like the view from behind. Wink )

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Geez... don't check a thread for a day or two and come back to people chomping at the bit... Okay. I have a word, I will start it. Now... how do I do that?

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Just start a new thread entitled, "Bluffing Game (your word here) Simple as that! Ask for PMs with daffynitions. Once you're gotten several of them, post them, along with the real definition. Ask any of the regulars if you have trouble!