Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FORMEL Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Asa is still unable to start topics with the new wordcraft format, though he is busily working behind the scenes to change this. In the meantime, he has asked me to start a new thread with his word for the next Bluffing Game word:
FORMEL

Send Asa your definitions...Asa, can you receive PMs?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think I can receive PMs, but don't know how to do it anymore, so please send definitions to me at ama11285@hevanet.com, with Formel in the subject line. Thanks, y'all!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa, I am going to try both ways so that you can check to see if your PMs work. Just go to the "Welcome to Wordcraft" page (Forums page) and click "check your private messages here!" There are other ways to do it too, but arnie just set that up to make it easier for people. Thanks, arnie! Wink

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I am receiving PMs, so am getting definitions both by e-mail and PM. So far I've got six daffynitions plus the correct one. Anyone else coming on board? Tinman? KHC? I'll post the definitions Wednesday evening Pacific Daylight Savings time. Last call..

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Here are the daffynitions for Formel:

1. the honey that is manufactured by ants and termites.

2. A Middle English term, derived from the French "formele," meaning a female falcon.

3. Of or relating to, or derived from ants.

4. A variety of hard cheese primarily found in Switzerland, but also in parts of Austria.

5. What one wears to a prahm or wedding.

6. Brand name of a recently released interior wall finish, adapted from its predecessor, the easy-to-clean and highly durable counter top material, formica.

7. A water-insoluble compound formed by reduction of a tetrazolium salt.

8. In construction/architecture, a vent in a concrete slab cast on corrugated steel. When a stoop or porch has been "formelled," it is able to drain water and remain structurally sound.

OK, kiddies, put on your thinking buckets, hats, helmets, caps, wigs, or whatever and have a go at it!

posted Hide Post
My word. So much chemistry and ants and formic acid, and I'll therefore have to reject them all. That leaves 2, 4, and 8, I guess I'll have to pick # 2.

The REAL answer, of course, is that FORM-EL was Superman's uncle. Didn't you know? And his father was Jor-el, and he himself was Kal-el, before he left Krypton. No, really. (Oh well, two out of three isn't bad...)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
FOUR ! <== my vote.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa,

I vote for Three... #3!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I see I'm too late to submit a definition, as usual. When I first saw the word I thought of ants and was going to construct a definition around that. I didn't get around to it, but I see others did. But I don't really think the word is related to ants...or to cheese or wall finish or to Superman's uncle. And I wouldn't dream of wearing one to a prahm! A female falcon or an architectural term seems most likely to me. So I'll guess #2, female falcon. Which means it's probably an architectural term.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go for No. 4.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Counting Tinman, who didn't submit a definition (what WOULD you have submitted, TM?) I have five guesses. Where are the other two?

Asa, pacing floor, watching clock, watching clock that doesn't run, and is therefore precisely correct twice in 24 hours.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
7 please because I didn't understand a word of it

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
I hate to go along with the crowd but numbers 2 & 4 do sound the best. If #2 isn't it, I'm assuming it's Arnie's but I'll go with it anyway.

Oh and, not that it makes a great deal of difference, but #5 was submitted as "what one wears to a prahm or weding," the idea being that two misspellings referring to a third ("formel" for "formal") might lead someone to suspect trickery and vote for it. A long shot, yes, but my last few false definitions were (forgive my ego) semi-brilliant and it's been months since anyone has voted for any of my B.S.

Thank you, Asa, for your attempt to dress up my entry. I assume you took "weding" as a typo and not as an indication that my spelling abilities rank roughly with those of your average third-grader.

Of course, if anyone still wants to vote for #5, this all could be a massive effort to throw you off the right track...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think that I can reliably identify CJ's entries about 95% of the time. Can we start a separate competition? Smile

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, Bob, the whole idea of this game, as I understand it, is to submit the most fanciful, yet plausible definition, and CJ scores heavily on the former trait! Do you want a separate game just for loony definitions? Start one!

I'm still waiting to one more definition - will post results tomorrow.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, where's your guess? You're the one missing person!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry! I've been busier than a one-armed....well you know! Wink

Truly, I had made my decision before seeing arnie's choice (though arnie made me feel a lot more confident!). I choose #4.

I do love reading about CJ's thought processes for making a selection....as well as his machinations in an attempt to throw us off track! I really should pick 5, I suppose. Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Finally! Kalleh's here, so now I can post the results.
Arnie, Jerry, and Kalleh guessed #4, which was submitted by Bob Hale.

KHC guessed #3, which was submitted by arnie.

Bob Hale guessed #7, which was submitted by Kalleh.

CJ, Haberdasher, and Tinman dashed my hopes of fooling you all by picking the correct definition, #2. DRAT!

Formel was only found in one unabridged dictionary that I could find, and is an obsolete term. I had rightly thought that most of you wold see a possible "form..." connection with the Latin, "formica," or ant, and had thought that the German speakers might have seen it as the German word for "formula," but nobody did. Sit transit gloria Asa. Gripe, grumble, whine,
snivel... Now, Kalleh, figure out how much further ahead arnie is, please!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, here are the scores:

arnie - 37
Kalleh - 25
Asa - 24
CJ - 23.5
Bob - 21
KHC - 17.5
Jerry - 15
Hab - 7
Shu - 6
Tinman - 5
WinterBranch - 4
Wordnerd - 3
jheem - 3

KHC, would you please be our charming wordmistress next? If you need help in starting a new thread, as Asa did, I am happy to help.

I have a question for all of you. I happened to tell Asa in an e-mail that I often check a dictionary when I write my daffynition, though I always adapt it a bit. I do that so that it will sound more like a real dictionary definition. Asa thinks that is cheating. I surely don't want to cheat here! Red Face Please be honest (I won't be hurt, I promise)....is that cheating?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say it's cheating. It doesn't sound like as much fun as making one up though.

posted Hide Post
Even if I think I know the "real" definition, I will rephrase it to try to make it sound more informal in order to conceal whether it's dictionary or fictionary...or maybe it's the other way 'round. You never can tell with daffynitions.

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will gladly be next Wordmistress, if all agree! New word coming by Monday, sometime.

I don't use the dictionary for daffynitions - I use magazines and other books, to give me a push. Lot of help it did me in "formel"...Smile

posted Hide Post
New Bluff Game! Kalleh, can you post this as NEW?

The next word is TUSHERY..

I'll take daffynitions all this week... and will post answers on the weekend.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, if using a dictionary to polish a daffynition is cheating, I must confess to it, too. I will often use the definition for a different word given in a dictionary as at least the basis of the daffynition.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
TUSHERY: From the Tusher state in Sri Lanka, a coarse jute cloth.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As for using the dictionary to hone daffynitions, perhaps I misunderstood what Kalleh meant, so I'll join with the majority and accept its use. It still seems more proper to eschew all reference material and go "off the top of my head," but when in Rome... Of course, we could all do as CJ does and use Lewis Carroll as reference! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And, I will try to come up with more of them myself. Actually, when I have done that, I have done better. Yet, sometimes I need a jolt in thinking! Wink

Sure, KHC, I will post your word. You can't receive PMs, correct? How should they send you their daffynitions?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
TUSHERY: From the Tusher state in Sri Lanka, a coarse jute cloth.

I can't help thinking that psoting your definition here rather gives the game away...

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
It's a trick!

I vote for Asa's answer!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, folks, now you know how truly computer illiterate I am! I thought I was sending a private e-mail! Aaarrrgggghhhhhhhhh!

Asa the dolt