Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing games: Kirtle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing games: Kirtle Login/Join

Picture of pearce
posted
Kirtle is a word with a long history. Please send me your daffynitions by PM.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pearce:

Only 3 daffynitions so far. Everyone on holiday? Or perhaps a rather dull word--sorry.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just sent you mine

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sorry, Pearce, I thought YOU were on holiday, so had not looked for your word. Mine's in your PMs (NOT PMS, as we know you do not so suffer!) Smile

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Only 3 daffynitions so far. Everyone on holiday? Or perhaps a rather dull word--sorry.

Nope, just at work, and then busy with things I should be doing instead. You'll have my fertile kirtle via turtle....soon.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I missed this one. Mine is off to you!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Kalleh, you really ought to keep your kirtle on in public! Whatever will Shufitz think! Eek

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh...Asa, it is a fun word, isn't it? I have to say, I am quite proud of my daffynition! Big Grin

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pearce:

Hope this listing is not premature.

Bluffing Games
KIRTLE
OK these are the daffynitions received. One is correct.
Which is the real definition?

1. An early type of steam-powered automobile.
2. (n) A kilt worn for daily chores, unlike the great kilt which was reserved for special occasions and for the battlefield.
3. a casserole made with lamb and rice.
4. to wander along aimlessly.
5. A tunic or coat, originally a garment reaching to the knees or lower.
6. Kirtle -- an obstacle placed on a race track to make the race more difficult for participants. Unlike the hurdle, a kirtle is specifically used in turtle races.
7. To besiege a fortification by throwing diseased carcasses over the walls.
8. Kirtle: A type of decorative fastener used on Renaissance garters worn by 17th century Prussian and German nobility.
9. A thin brush that billows out once it is inserted into thin-necked bottles so that the insides of the bottles can be cleaned.
10. a small dagger.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...nice daffynitions. I will try one of the 2 verbs: # 4

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It definitely sounds like it ought to be 2 or 5 but in the spirit of pervesity that has given me a near 100% record of failure at this game I'm going to pick 9 just because there ought to be a word for one of those brushes.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well I am voting for 7 because of the Pythonesque images it arouses, though I believe in that case, the animal was flying from rather than into the fortification.

("Your mother was a hamster...")

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I'm taking a stab at it with my vote for Number Ten.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me Brubeck; I'll take five.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Something tells me it is a garment of some sort, so, since Jo's taken five, I'll take two, assuming that it's a form of kilt worn while hurling dead animals which were killed by eating toxic lamb and rice casserole over castle walls, falling upon those wandering aimlessly along the tops of the parapets, after which they are eaten by ravenous hamsters. Now, what say we all sit down and watch Monty Python's "Jabberwocky" together and have a few pints?

Good word, Pierce!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Five for me too, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just waiting for Caterwauller and Haberdasher, plus any one else who is kirtled. Sorry there's no kirtling permitted, yet.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, what say we all sit down and watch Monty Python's "Jabberwocky" together and have a few pints?

Great idea! It isa great word. I can't wait to use it, properly, in sentences.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I vote for 5, although I agree with Bob that there really ought to be a name for those cool bottle-cleaning brushes.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pearce:

Kirtle.
So here are the daffynitions you offered:

1. An early type of steam-powered automobile. Arnie
2. (n) A kilt worn for daily chores, unlike the great kilt which was reserved for special occasions and for the battlefield. Jo
3. a casserole made with lamb and rice. Caterwauller
4. to wander along aimlessly. Bob Hale
5. A tunic or coat, originally a garment reaching to the knees or lower.
6. Kirtle -- an obstacle placed on a race track to make the race more difficult for participants. Unlike the hurdle, a kirtle is specifically used in turtle races. Jerry Thomas
7. To besiege a fortification by throwing diseased carcasses over the walls. Asa Lovejoy
8. Kirtle: A type of decorative fastener used on Renaissance garters worn by 17th century Prussian and German nobility. Wordmatic
9. A thin brush that billows out once it is inserted into thin-necked bottles so that the insides of the bottles can be cleaned. Kalleh
10. ...a small dagger. Haberdasher

The right answer as many knew is 5.

From OED, 1. Kirtle is a man's tunic or coat, originally a garment reaching to the knees or lower, sometimes forming the only body-garment, but more usually worn with a shirt beneath and a cloak or mantle above.
 Writers of the 16th and 17th c. used it chiefly in describing robes of state. It survived to some extent in dialects, applied to a short jacket or blouse.
 2. A woman's gown.    b. A skirt or outer petticoat.   Appeared in common use down to about 1650, and now, as an archaism, much more frequent than sense 1.
   3. figuratively: A coat or covering of any kind; a coating of paint.

So Wordcrafters, when climate changes strike again, and the violent weather changes we have created enforce protection with clothing rather than switching up the heating or air conditioning, the future, if there is one, lies in the kirtle. Confused

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, kirtle me kidneys!

WM

posted Hide Post
This one was easy for me since I do medieval reenactment and costuming. The kirtle is basic to all middle and peasant class costume until the late Tudor age and beyond. Even then it shows up on working girls, especially in kitchens. It later morphed into the apron.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Very well done, Pearce!

Jo, it was pretty sneaky to provide a daffynition that was almost corect, but not quite! I knew it was one or the other, but, as usual, guessed wrong. Frown

Wordmatic, you haven't had a go at this; do you have a strange, odd, unusual, or weird word for us?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that it might be my turn, but you'll have to give me a few hours before I have time to find just the right bluffer. Unfortunately, I am not walking around with a collection of words in my head arcane enough to stump this group! Kirtle will be a tough act to follow, as well.

More anon,
Wordmatic

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And i shall still, even when I have a pretty good idea (btw is kirtle related to girdle?), contimue my own idiosynratic style of choosing whichever definition sounds silliest.

posted Hide Post
...and I shall keep my vote to myself. You'll never know -- heh-heh-hehhh.... (evil mad-scientist Sivana-e)

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Fabulous word - even fabulous-er definitions!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post