Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: scrivello
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: scrivello Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Let's be having your daffynitions by PM for the next word, please, scrivello.

Remember, no cheating and no looking it up until the the results have been published!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's in.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We're off to a good start: six daffynitions from five members so far, plus the real meaning, of course.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more entries? I've received a few more and we have already quite a good selection.

If I remember I'll post them tomorrow.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I remember I'll post them tomorrow.
From past experiences on the chats, you probably won't remember. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions for scrivello:

1. An inscription in icing on a jelly donut

2. Words written inside a fortune cookie

3. An apprentice scribe

4. A type of ornate lamp used widely in Italy and some other parts of Europe during the Renaissance

5. An elaborate waistcoat worn in the 17th century

6. Compulsive drawing of genitalia

7. Shaded line drawing

8. An elephant's tusk of small size, once commonly used to produce billiard balls

9. One who is practised in the art of illuminated manuscript writing

10. A publisher's or printer's mark in a book; a colophon

posted Hide Post
It might be one practiced in the art of inscribing jelly donuts and fortune cookies with shaded line drawings of genitalia while wearing an elaborate 17th Century waistcoat in a room illuminated by an ornate Italian lamp made of elephant tusks. Well, that's my best guess, but since I wasn't able to work it into that guess, It must be #10. Confused

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The words inscribed in my fortune cookie told me to pick #3. I may be wrong since the light from my Italian lamp isn't too bright.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I know for sure that of the ten items in the list is wrong (my submission). So that leaves nine to choose from. I can eliminate four more because they seem too outrageous or silly (compulsive drawing of genitalia? That one's got to be made up!). From the remaining five I choose Number 10. Just seems like the right fit. Also it has a semicolon within the sentence - that somehow clinches it for me because it makes it seem authentic. Of course a good bluffer would know how to make something seem authentic and convincing....

But my mind is made up......I choose # 10

Posts: 42 | Location: New England, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Number 7 for me.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am flummoxed with this one. Usually there are many I think it could be, but this time it seems like none of them are right. A couple are too similar for me to choose one of them, so I am going with (but not confident about) #4.

posted Hide Post
10 sounds good

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no idea, so I choose #1 for the simple reason that it is the most ridiculous.

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses? You don't need to have sent in a daffynition for the word!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alphabet Soup:
I have absolutely no idea, so I choose #1 for the simple reason that it is the most ridiculous.

Metic says #6 is the most ridiculous. But if #6 is ridiculous, what about coprolalia? Literally, "sh*t talking!" So, I'll go back to
my jolly jelly donut... Smile

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the answers for scrivello:

1. An inscription in icing on a jelly donut
From Proofreader - fooled Alphabet Soup

2. Words written inside a fortune cookie
Another from Proof - fooled no-one

3. An apprentice scribe
From Alphabet Soup - fooled Proofreader

4. A type of ornate lamp used widely in Italy and some other parts of Europe during the Renaissance
From Metic - fooled Kalleh

5. An elaborate waistcoat worn in the 17th century
From Kalleh - fooled no-one

6. Compulsive drawing of genitalia
From Geoff - fooled no-one

7. Shaded line drawing
From Geoff - fooled Richard

8. An elephant's tusk of small size, once commonly used to produce billiard balls
The real thing - see http://home.comcast.net/~wwftd/rst.htm#scrivello - guessed by no-one

9. One who is practised in the art of illuminated manuscript writing
From Richard English - fooled no-one

10. A publisher's or printer's mark in a book; a colophon
My own contribution - fooled Geoff, Metic, and tinman

Interesting how so many were variants of the scribe/inscription/drawing theme. In fact, I had already prepared an almost identical daffy to Geoff's No. 7 and only made up my No. 10 at the last minute.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

posted Hide Post
Hahaha! You and me Proof, we fooled each other Big Grin

*offers handshake*

<Proofreader>
posted
Mine waas "most ridiculous"? I don't know if that was a compliment or not.

posted Hide Post
It certainly was! Big Grin*

*However, if "inscription on jelly donut" was intended to be earnest and solemn then I apologise unresevedly for making light of it. Serious business this daffynition doo-dah.

posted Hide Post
Marvelous job, arnie! By fooling everyone AND fooling three of us with your daffynition, you may have set a new game record!

Since it's still your turn, I await your next one!

Geoff

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Serious business this daffynition doo-dah.

No, that's "doo-doo".

posted Hide Post
Hey! Looks like I'm being misquoted. I never called anyone's submission most ridiculous.

And I'm still trying to absorb the fact that anyone would make billiard balls from elephant tusks. What's next? Soccer balls from tiger skin?

Posts: 42 | Location: New England, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's next?
You are Metic! We'd love you to post a word for us. Pretty please? With Sugar? After all, I did pick your daffy. Wink

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
And I'm still trying to absorb the fact that anyone would make billiard balls from elephant tusks.

Unfrotunate but true. Now they aree made of plastics but ihe 1800s any elephants wre sacrficed so the rich could play.

posted Hide Post
Now that the ivory dust has settled, is "scrivello" related to "scrimshaw?"