Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    BLUFFING GAME - TITUBATION
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLUFFING GAME - TITUBATION Login/Join

posted
Please send your daffynitions by PM, and don't forget to eschew deletion until completion.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I sent you mine...a fun one and a real one. [I bet everyone here can guess the fun one! Big Grin].

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
only three so far... Yoo Hoo

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sent mine last night--

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine should be in.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jo, don't fret. Wordcraft has just been a little slow recently, partly because of the Wordcraft Gathering.

posted Hide Post
Myth, you need to read your PM

posted Hide Post
Huh? I'm not fretting. There's a specific reason that person needs to check PM.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
don't know if I have met the deadline-- are there rules for this game somewhere (said she stupidly)? Now that I have figured out what PM means (read the instructions on thatfinally, DOH!).. am sending in mine.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
OK, I give up. Maybe somebody can spell out how to participate in a game via PM...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
From one of the forums

Go>Personal Zone>Private messaging

Then New Private Message

If the name of the person you want to PM doesn't appear in the list click find new buddies and search for the name, click next to it and then click Add Selected Members. Close the window.

Click on the person's name and click Add>>
Click Invite Members

Fill in title (for bluffing game the word being defined) and sun=bject (the definition) and send.

Hope that helps

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I sent mine.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A simpler method for sending PMs - especially ones with Bluffing Game daffynitions:

While in the forum click the name of the person you want to send the PM to. This is the name that appears to the left of their post. Choose "Invite (jo) to a private topic". Fill in subject and daffynition and send.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you did? Haven't got it.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Sent my PM. Thanks for instructions, folks.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
oops... I sent it to Bob Hale. I have no idea why I thought he was the ring leader...

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to wait a couple more days, because one contributor needs to change the daffynition sent, and then I will post the daffynitions for your amazement, amusement and perturbation.

posted Hide Post
I'm still waiting to hear back from Bethree... If I haven't by tonight I will go ahead and post the daffynitions I currently have.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Frown Hi, Jo. Don't know why my posts haven't gotten through to you. Even replied via email. Oh, well. I've just tried sending them again, tho it's probably too late. I shall attempt to master this fool PM system before the next game!

posted Hide Post
Here are the daffynitions, with the real one hiding out amongst...for TITUBATION

1. Force feeding by nasogastric tube or other means; generally employed against prisoners and mental patients.

2. A solution used to soften leather [tanning]

3. A staggered or unbalanced gait

4. Chemical process of hardening steel by the addition of titanium to the mix.

5. A tithe or offering

6. A satirical label applied to an object, person or trend.

7. Feeding small amounts of food to sick animals while they recover. ( cf. Norw. tita "a little bird")

8. Extreme precision in measuring liquids.

9. The term used by feminist haberdashers to describe the proper location of the brassiere.

10. The measured transfer of liquids through the use of a pipette.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I vote for #10.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Voting seems a bit slow doesn't it?

I'll try number 2

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, OK then. I'll guess #3, even though I don't think it's correct. But I don't think any of the rest are either! I can think of a reason why each one has been written by one of us!

Final answer: 3.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll have a go at 3.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I'm voting for Number Eight and along with my vote I offer this item for you all to post in your Notebook of Little-Known Facts: A gram of prevention is worth a kilo (more or less) of cure.

~~~~~~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will give 6 a go.

Myth Jellies

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
6 for Kalleh...which means you're dead in water, Myth; I always lose. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Ok. I have tried and tried to link answers to creators and choosers, but it is beyond my capabilities.

so... The correct answer is # THREE!

I thought for sure "a certain person" would get it since it is most often used in a medical sense. I apologize for not being able to link and give points.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If it helps I posted 4 and fooled no one.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
That's all right, Jo--we can each "out" ourselves.

I am truly thrilled that my daffynition, #6, with its play on "titular" actually snagged Kalleh and Myth Jellies!

And everybody, this is the first time I have ever guessed the right answer (only a blind stab), and only maybe the second that I have ever fooled anybody, so you can rest assured it won't happen again anytime soon!

Wordmatic

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I am happy to have fooled one person with daffynition #2, which is actually the meaning of "bate"!

When I sent my first daffynition to jo, it was 'by mistake' correct-- it turned out I had run into the Spanish verb 'titubar' (to stagger) recently. I decided I must have remembered wrong & turned it into a daffynition; I was 'sure' the word had something to do with labs & pipettes!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Both answer 8. (which I submitted) and answer 10 were based on titration which I hazily remembered from my rare periods awake during Chemistry classes at school. I managed to fool JT, anyway! Wink

posted Hide Post
I submitted #10, and Jo told me it was too close to another entry (presumably #8). So then I submitted the following...

The assignation of entitlement as in land use or mineral rights.

...which somehow got lost in the shuffle, I guess Smile. Can't complain as my original did catch 1.

Myth Jellies

posted Hide Post
Y'all have no idea how difficult this was for me to put together. Smile

I will not be trying it again soon. There are, however, other things I can still do. So all is not lost.

I apologize for the goofs.

posted Hide Post
No worries, Jo, you ran a fine game. Having done one myself, I agree that it is a challenge being the "host". I'll look forward to you hosting again.

Myth Jellies

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nice game, Jo.

My daffynition was #7, and I fooled no one.

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
thought this seemed familiar ... Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw, heck. We all should have known it.

posted Hide Post
hey guys. arnie suggested i come over here for help studying for the National Vocabulary Championship. I'd love help, but I'm not exactly sure what's going on in here. a little help...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, jd! We'd love to have you. I'd suggest you start by reading the Vocabulary forum where Wordcrafter develops weekly themes, defining the words. Arnie, do you have other ideas? Reviewing the Bluffing Game words might be helpful, too.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I suggested to jd that he look at the bluffing game threads to see some good words, not particularly the whole board.

jd, take a look through this "Wordplay" forum, and read some of the older bluffing game threads. You should spot them easily enough; most have "Bluffing Game ..." or similar in the title.

The game is in a number of parts.
  1. someone thinks of a rare or unusual word and starts a new thread;
  2. people send the organiser a private message with a definition they've they made up that they think might fool the others - these have become known as "daffynitions";
  3. The organiser posts the list of daffynitions, with the real definition slipped in among them;
  4. We make posts guessing at which is the real definition;
  5. after a while, the organiser posts the answer and sometimes lists who got it right and who fooled whom.
Talking of which, has anyone got a good word to start another game?