Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Topeka
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Topeka Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
Could have sworn we did this once, but didn't find it as a limerick location in a search of the Wordplay forum.

TOPEKA. Topeka pop 127,000 capital of Kansas located on Kansas River in Shawnee county. Name is Kansa-Osage for "A place where we dug potatoes." A Free-State town founded by eastern anti-slavery men. Famous for Brown v BOE decision which overturned Plessy-Ferguson & declared racial segregation in public schools to be unconstitutional. Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe line 1857 was first hub of intermodal transport (rail, ferry/ tugboat, buses), establishing Topeka as a commercial hub.

Please PM me your deathless prose, er, verse.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I assume it's pronounced Top-EE-kuh, but on the spelling alone there are several other possibilities, so I would like to know how the locals say it.

After all, even some US songwriters have rhymed New Orleans with jeans, but from the one week I spent there in 1989 the most common local pronunciation I heard was "Nyawlins".

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are correct in the pronunciation.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hope Yanks onboard enjoyed the Fourth.
One in already!
Still struggling w/ mine...

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
There's always Achison, Topeka and Santa Fe

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't Topeka a palace in Istanbul?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I always thought it was what an Italian peeping tom does.

Edited to assuage Geoff's sensibilities.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

posted Hide Post
Pooping??? That's Chinese.

posted Hide Post
Has anyone written a decent one? As with the last two, nothing works for me. Frown

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Au contraire mon ami, all 4 submitted so far are superlative as usual Wink

It is sultry summer hereabouts, so I will be desultory if you will. But do try to sling a lim or two this way from your hammocks, y'all.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have been away - will get one to you ASAP.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Au contraire mon ami, all 4 submitted so far are superlative as usual Wink

I sent you one after you wrote the above, and it is redolent of dead skunk on an asphalt road in August. You had to have one stinker!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
tsk tsk Geoff yours are deathless ditties! Looking forward to yours, Kalleh. And how about one from you, Greg?

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Okay I just put one in. Been busy and then staying up to ridiculous hours watching live Le Tour de France, 14 stages down and still 7 to go.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I've not seen a bit of the Tour. It's as if there were a news blackout here. I guess one has to have a TV cable and pay money to even get after-the-fact news.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess one has to have a TV cable and pay money

Le Tour is free to air, live every night in Australia, live from 10:00 pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) until about 2:00 am on SBS. Although tonight's coverage actually starts early at 8:30 pm AEST. But anyone can watch it live online from anywhere in the world at SBS Skoda Tour Tracker, which I often do anyway, because of the extra information it gives me, such as who's in the breakaway, the profile of the race and where along it the various groups are.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
"...Live video coverage not authorized in your region."

Quel dommage.
[translation: "Bummer."]

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
You can also catch all the latest news, watch stage highlights and videos of every stage, interviews, and see current standings in the various competitions and individual stage results any time you like at www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
"...Live video coverage not authorized in your region."

Sorry about that, I just assumed it would be, that definitely is a bummer.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
Not your doing.

Most if not all of everything else is there, I suspect. Just not the live video.

posted Hide Post
I did, finally, find some of it on the BBC internet site. Nothing on off-the-air TV. All I have is an antenna. Got a photo of the guy in the maillot jaundiced running because his bike got knocked out Froome under him. A bit amusing, though I doubt he thought so.

Geoff the luddite

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got a photo of the guy in the maillot jaundiced running because his bike got knocked out Froom beneath him.

I was half crying, half laughing watching it live. Don't know if you have seen it, but I couldn't help but think of Ricky Bobby and Gerard running for the line in Taladega Nights (best of all the Will Ferrell movies).

The actual problem was because the original planned Stage end was atop a mountain where it was so windy people could hardly stand up. They made a late decision to relocate the finish 6 km down the mountain, and they didn't have time to build all the normal infrastructure. So where there are usually physical barriers separating crowd from riders in the last 2 km, they only erected about 500 m of barriers. So one km from the finish, the crowd squashed in so tight that the motorbike filming the 3 riders who had exploded away from the peleton and were set to gain significant time, came to a very sudden halt (rather then perhaps hit and kill someone), and those 3 (Froome in Yellow, Porte & Mollema) smashed into the motorbike. Froome and Porte's bikes were unridable as a consequence, but Mollema got back on his and rode for the finish. Porte and Froome got passed by the lead peleton they had worked so hard to take time from, but just had to wait till the Support Cars came through with replacement bikes and in his frustration Froome just started running - sad but hilarious, if the 2 can co-exist. In the end common sense prevailed and they awarded Froome and Porte the same time as Mollema got, so Froome retained Yellow.

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
I just go to the Walmart parking lot and watch the little kids try to ride their new bikes. More fun than the Tour.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The great thing about road race cycling is that it is the only sport where you can watch top level professional sportsmen (& women), if you live anywhere near where the event is being held, live and free without having to buy a ticket, and you can get so close to the action, you can almost touch the competitors. What do I mean almost, you can touch them, and sometimes over-excited fans do with disastrous consequences.

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
you can almost touch the competitors.

That's my lifelomg ambition -- to touch a sweaty athlete mid-event.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
quote:
Got a photo of the guy in the maillot jaundiced running because his bike got knocked out Froom beneath him.

I was half crying, half laughing watching it live. Don't know if you have seen it, but I couldn't help but think of Ricky Bobby and Gerard running for the line in Taladega Nights (best of all the Will Ferrell movies.

For some eason that reminds me of this

posted Hide Post
Getting back to Kansas, isn't there a song in the musical Oliver about "You've got Topeka pocket or two" ?

That's what I thought.

posted Hide Post
B35, are you there, or have you melted?

posted Hide Post
Oh, she's there all right, just being desultory.

Although...it's been nearly three weeks; maybe it's time to be sultory again? (cross-threading to "the dis-game")

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've definitely melted Wink - I haven't sent her one as I've been in Vermont. I am writing it right now, as I watch the Trumpster accept the Republican nomination (so you can imagine my mood!).

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Imagine YOUR mood? Imagine the mood of all the millions of sensible sane Republicans out there.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! We now have 9 limericks submitted by 6 limerickers. Anyone else? BobHale maybe? If anyone wants me to wait for another ditty, let me know by PM (or just submit it!) Otherwise I'll plan to post the poll tomorrow am.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I've been in Vermont.
Is that where vermouth comes from? Looks as if B35 must have gone there too! B35, where aaaaare youuuu?
Hope you're OK!

posted Hide Post
You realize that Vermont is where the Green Mountains are, yes? (A lot of folks up there speak French, too.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine the mood of all the millions of sensible sane Republicans out there.
And the rest of the world, with the possible exception of Russia.... (I hope there are no Trumpsters on this board, but I am thinking I am safe in that. I truly apologize if someone here is wild for Trump.)
quote:
You realize that Vermont is where the Green Mountains are, yes?
Oh, my gosh, yes. What a gorgeous state. This is a conference for health profession educators that occurs every summer in Vermont - what good luck!

posted Hide Post
First time posting and trying to figure out how to send bethree5 a private message with a limerick.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Welcome satva. To send a private message click Go at the top of the page, then Personal Zone, Private Messaging messaging.

On the next screen clicj New Private Message

As it is your first time you will need to click Find New Buddies and type in bethree5.

Then the name should appear in the My contacts box. Highlight it and click Add, then Invite members and away you go with your message.

And I have only just realised how ridiculously complicated that all is.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Another, slightly quicker. way to send bethree5 a PM is to click on her name at the left of her post. Choose "Invite bethree5 to a Private Topic" from the menu that drops down.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
millions of sensible sane Republicans out there.

Hyperbole. We all know they are as rare a fair Congressional hearing.

posted Hide Post
Thank you BobHale and arnie!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome Sattva! So good to see a new member here. I hope you will send Bethree a Topeka limerick - and I hope I vote for it! Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Welcome Sattva! So good to see a new member here. I hope you will send Bethree a Topeka limerick - and I hope I vote for it! Smile

Thank you, Kalleh! I did send Bethree two limericks. I have only written two others before this for fun around St. Patrick's Day. It was to cheer someone. These aren't very good. So, I don't expect any votes, but still I had fun writing them.Smile

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
but still I had fun writing them.

Wnning isn't the goal -- fun is.

posted Hide Post
Good of you to join us, Sattva!

Now if bethree5 will post our efforts, we'll be able to have some fun. I fear something's amiss with her,; she was supposed to post them three days go.

Does anyone have her email address?

<Proofreader>
posted
I think she absconded with the entries and will sell them on Ebay.

posted Hide Post
She'll have to pay someone to get rid of mine. Maybe she's out looking for an assassin.

posted Hide Post
Mine too!
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
She'll have to pay someone to get rid of mine. Maybe she's out looking for an assassin.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Welcome sattva,

Just to keep the thread active, while we wait for B35 to spring into action again, with a Poll, I thought I would share with you my favourite Limerick of all time, which I believe is written by one of my favourite poets, Anonymous:

The limerick's a form anatomical
And for space it is quite economical,
But the good ones I've seen
Are so seldom clean
And the clean ones are so seldom comical.

Actually you might be surprised how often a clean one wins on this Forum.

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's one I wrote for the nurse during my long hospital stay.

"Are you pretty or not?" may I ask
As you ready your tools for your task.
"Are you five? Are you ten?"
I must ask you again
Since you seldom remove that damn mask.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Here's one I wrote for the nurse during my long hospital stay.
You stayed in a long hospital?