Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    For Movie Buffs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Movie Buffs Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I don't know if we have some movie buffs here or not. I have to say, I really am not one. The following 9 memorable movie lines were written by Mark Caro in the Chicago Tribune, and I only got 3 of them. Can you get them?
"Toto, I've got a feeling _____ ___ __ ______ _______." (Wizard of Oz, 1939)

"Here's _______ __ ___, ___." (Casablanca, 1942)

"Frankly, __ ____, _ _____ ____ _ ____." (Gone With the Wind, 1939)

"Gentlemen, you can't _____ __ ____! ____ __ ___ ___ ____!" (Dr. Stangelove, 1960)

"Open ___ ___ ___ ____, ___." (Space Odyssey, 1968)

"I'm _____ __ ____ ___ __ ____ __ _____ ______." (The Godfather, 1972)

"Forget __, ____. ____ _________." (Chinatown, 1974)

"We're __ _ _______ ____ ___." (Blues Brothers, 1980)

"You ___ __ __ _______" (Jerry Maguire, 1968)

If you get 6/9 correct, you are doing well! I could have gotten one more if they had given one more word. Just "I'm" doesn't do it for me!

Mark is asking his readers to write him and tell him which quotes he should vote for in the American Film Institute poll. The list is here. Just scroll down to the bottom. I didn't go through them all, but the list did remind me of Oscar Madison, in "The Odd Couple," saying he hated little notes on his pillow; it took him 2 hours to figure out that FU meant "Felix Unger!"

I didn't find my favorite, though I am sure it is there: "There's No Crying in Baseball!" ("League of Their Own").

Mark's e-mail address is mcaro@tribune.com, in case anyone wants to suggest quotes to Mark.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I feel pretty sure I got five. Oddly, they were the first five on the list. Or perhaps that's not so odd, since the list has the earlier films at the top.

I'm certainly no movie buff, and haven't been to see a film in years.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I also got 5, but not the top 5. I love the Blues Brothers!!! (every time I put in extra !s I think of you all now)

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the first 5 also - then I was lost.

Kalleh, I just love "There's no crying in baseball..!" What a terrific scene..Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen the first three movies and knew those quotes. I've also seen "Dr. Strangelove," but don't know the quote. I've never seen the others. My favorite of the bunch is "Dr. Strangelove." It contains a quote about a Communist conspiracy to "sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids." I was reminded of that quote when I listened to "Thumbsuckers," a song from the album, "Freakin' at the Freaker's Ball," that Jo mentioned here. Thanks, Jo.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched "Josey Wales" with my Dad today... Smile

After Josey and the boy kill Abe and Lige, (who wanted to capture The Josey Wales) the boy says, "Too bad we can't look after them fellers." And Josey says, "To hell with them fellers! (Spits tobacco juice)... "Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."

My 85 year old daddy laughed and laughed...

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post