Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Mount Eliza
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Mount Eliza Login/Join

Picture of Greg S
posted
OK - nice easy game this time with an absolute plethora on L1/2/5 rhymes, simply by preceding 'er with an -ize/-ise ending verb.

Melbourne sits at the top of Port Phillip Bay. It has a peninsula each side. One is the Bellarine Peninsula and the other is the Mornington Peninsula, home to the best run of family beaches you'll find anywhere in the world. At the tip is Portsea, where all the well to do have their beach mansions, running all the way up to the end of the line as far as CBD rail commuting is concerned, Frankston, the butt of many jokes because of its high rate of unemployed youth. In between you have the retirement capital of Victoria, Rosebud, and Dromana from where the chair-lift to the Peninsula's peak, Arthur's Seat operates. Then there's Blairgowrie, Sorrento, Mount Martha, Rye, the oddly named Tootgarook, McCrae, Mornington (which gave the Peninsula its name) and of course Mount Eliza, where a lot of those relatively well to do have their mansions, but because they still have to work, they're close enough to Frankston to do the CBD commute. All these bayside beaches are great for families because they are protected from the big Ocean Surf, which if you want it is not far away on the other side of the Peninsula's southern end.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg S,

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
No submissions received by PM yet. In fact I haven't even written one myself.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, sorry, Greg. I'll start thinking. While you say it is easy, it sounds hard to me!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Is the name pronounced to rhyme with "miser" or with "teaser"?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Judging by the first sentence of Greg's OP, it rhymes with "miser" (unless you pronounce words like "moralise" as "moraleez". Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Yep it rhymes with miser, as in Eliza Doolittle of "Pygmalion/My Fair Lady" fame.

Still no entries yet, but my own is coming together.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I did a doubletake seeing this target. My only previous encounter with Mount Eliza was in Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, and then in his prequel (only four hundred years earlier) The Baroque Trilogy in which he relates how it got its name. Along with many other tidbits from Cryptonomicon. I had never heard of a real Mount Eliza until now. My parochialism is showing!

(P.S. Cryptonomicon is a wonderful, wide-ranging novel, and the Trilogy is three more of them, and the four total a good 3,500 pages. Worth making the time for, but don't say I didn't warn you!)

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and "Eliza" may end in an "-er" in Oz, and also in Boston and maybe New York and Chicago, but that's the subject of satire in most of the rest of the US. It's not so easy to come up with r-less rhymes.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and "Eliza" may end in an "-er" in Oz

It's not that it ends in an "-er" in Oz, but with our lazy speech all the "-er" words end in an "-a" for us. So a miser is a "miza" to us.

Oh, by the way Haberdasher, thanks for contributing this, and I'd love to know how Stephenson's Mount Eliza got its name.

I finally have an actual entry - thanks Richard.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
This is going to be a long game at the present submission rate - only 3 entries received so far, including my own.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'll do one tonight. Life has been busy for me!

As for the "er" and "a" at the end, in Chicago we pronounce the "er" and the "a" at the end of a word. We marvel a bit about the East and England where they take away the "er" at the end of "er" words, making it an "a;" but then they add an "er" at the end of "a" words, such as "idear" for "idea." Wink

I will do this one like I'm an Easterner, I think.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You now have four!

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
but then they add an "er" at the end of "a" words, such as "idear" for "idea."

Not every Easterna.
I've been a bit preoccupied (not with Wall Street) but I'll try to get one out to you soon.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Mine's in!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Now we're cookin'. I've got 6 now - almost enough to put up the Poll.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd love to see the limericks!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
OK - I'll leave it 24 hours and if there are no more by then, I'll post the Poll.

Regards Greg

<Proofreader>
posted
Another gem has flown your way.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The Poll is posted

Regards Greg