Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Cast(s) Away!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast(s) Away! Login/Join

Picture of C J Strolin
posted
Kalleh brought up a totally non-penmanship related topic in the Penmanship thread (I'm not complaining; that's just how these things go.) regarding which parts each of us might have played in "The Wizard of Oz." First off, K., thank you for seeing me as the Wizard, I think.

Secondly, might we make this another challenge? The trick will be to pick a famous movie, TV show, whatever and then, based on our perceived personalities (based on how we see each other's postings) cast Wordcraft members in that show.

Allow me to kick this off with an all-Wordcraft casting of "The Muppet Show"

Me as Fozzie Bear (Puns! Puns! Puns!)
Sarah as Kermit (running the show although, unlike Kermit, you don't get enough "air time" here.)
Morgan as Miss Piggy (see thread on useless information.)
Kalleh as the thin hippie lead singer (and, I think, first tamborine) in the band (whose name, if memory serves, is "Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem").
Tinman as Dr. Bunsen Honeydew (massive amounts of info on tap)
B.H. and R.E. as Statler and Waldorf (the senior pals heckling from the balcony) (also R.E. would be perfect as Sam the Eagle if he could submerge his British accent for the role.)
Asa Lovejoy as the Swedish Chef (Don't know why. It just seems to fit.)
museamuse as Scooter (helpful, eager, endearing)
Shufitz as Gonzo (no explanation necessary, and I mean that as a compliment)
Hic et Ubique as Animal (ditto)
LadyBeth as one of Gonzo's chickens (Sorry LB but you're still too new for me to have gained any insight as to your personality or Muppetability.)

One last note: I know I said this last time but, challenge or not, NO POINTS ARE TO BE AWARDED so don't even ask!

Who's up next??

[This message was edited by C J Strolin on Fri Jan 10th, 2003 at 14:14.]

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well as I'm to be Statler or possibly Waldorf, allow me to quote one of those venerable gentlemen with regard to Fozzy (aka CJ).

I've seen cheeseburgers funnier than that.

Wink

Purgamentum init, exit purgamentum

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a CHICKEN?!? Funny, I kinda thought of myself as Beaker...not sure why.

Posts: 113 | Location: Minnesota, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
CJ, Good idea! Besides no points--let's add no complaints from the proposed cast, including if someone gets missed. That was my problem with casting the Wizard of Oz crew....I kept worrying that I'd forget someone and hurt his/her feelings. Note that I didn't have a wicked witch. However, I am now giving that part to Morgan since she corrected my spelling, and I get to be Dorothy! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The Thriller video

me - first zombie
CJ - second zombie
RE - third zombie
Morgan - fourth zombie

etc.

I haven't chosen anyone to be Michael Jackson because although I haven't seen pictures of everybody surely we don't have any members who look that weird. Do we ?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I do! Razz

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
haven't chosen anyone to be Michael Jackson because although I haven't seen
pictures of everybody surely we don't have any members who look that weird. Do we?

I do!
Kalleh, when was the last time you nose fell off?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, CJ, I've long thught of myself as Oscar the Grouch.

posted Hide Post
Naw, Asa, you're far from being a grouch! I loved your explanation of me as Scooter, CJ! You get a kiss for that! (That's more Miss Piggyish behavior though). And Bob, you almost made my tea come through my nose with your hamburger heckle.

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
OK, here's another one:

Any Marx Brothers movie

R.E. as the Margaret Dumont character and
Me as Groucho.

Sorry R., but you just bring out the Groucho in me. "Just picture us together in the moonlight. I can see you there, you and the moon. (Groucho-esque aside) Wear an apostrophe so I'll know you!"

Sarah as Harpo (mostly silent but totally indispensible)

Kalleh as Chico (In your photo, K., you have the hands of a pianist.)

And all the rest of you can fight it out for Zeppo.

I'm still hoping this thread generates a bit more participation than it has so far. Let's play, people!

posted Hide Post
In my version of Happy Days, let's try...

Howard Cunningham--Shufitz (Dad figure)

Marion Cunningham--Kalleh (Mom figure)

Richy Cunningham--Tinman (full of information)

Joany Cunningham--Morgan (I always liked her)

Ralph Malph--Asa Lovejoy (somewhat corny sense of humor)

Potsy Webber--Richard English (together and very handsome)

the Fonze--C J Strolin (hehhhhhhhhhhh!)

Al--Arnie (well, Al is your name!)

Chiachi--Bob Hale (the cool guy)

Jenny Piccolo--Lady Beth (Joany's best friend)

Pinky Tuscadero--Museamuse (the nice sister)

Leather Tuscadero--blues (the rebel!)

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
M*A*S*H

(Later seasons)

Hawkeye Pierce - with his attitude towards authority, has to be CJ

BJ Hunnicut - Asa, something of a joker in his own right but sadly eclipsed by Hawkeye

Radar O'Reilly - I'm putting me down for that one because I know me rather better than anyone else around here knows me. (And because I always know what all of you are thinking - or is that just a manifestation of my paranoia ?)

RE - Just has to be Major Charles Emerson Winchester

Shufitz - for his balanced viewpoints Father Mulcahy

Colonel Potter - a combined effort drom Sarah/wordcrafter

The anonymous voice on the PA - tinman

Klinger - I don't want to pick anyone and offend them - any guys out there who like wearing a dress ?

Hot Lips - see below

other nurses - with the exception of Hot Lips there are no important recurring female roles in MASH so I'll let all the women on the board take it in turns to be Hot Lips.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Can I be Major Sidney Freedman, the psychiatrist? Apart from his other virtues, he uttered the immortal couplet,

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice.
Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great idea, CJ. Big Grin Love your creativity! Even though I really should be Hot Lips since I am a nurse, I do have blonde hair, and my lips are pretty hot! However, I'll bow to Morgan, and I look forward to playing Klinger. Wink

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Fri Jan 24th, 2003 at 14:57.]

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Any Marx Brothers movie
CJ, you left out Gummo, the least known Marx Brother. There was also a cousin who drove their get-away car, Skid Marx. Roll Eyes

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Kalleh, for your compliments but I must pass them along to B.H. who submitted the M*A*S*H entry.

And, yes Asa, there was a Gummo Marx but he never appeared in any Marx Brothers movies. He was, I believe, their agent somewhere along the line.

And if you really want to win a bar bet and don't mind being underhanded about how you do it, I am led to understand that there were actually six Marx Brothers but that one died in infancy. Can't swear to this little factoid but I heard a story of someone winning a bar bet just this way and being roundly critisized (and rightly so, to my way of thinking) for collecting ill-gotton winnings with this trivia question.

posted Hide Post
Oscar the Grouch - me (blues-the rebel)

Grover _ Asa Lovejoy (the joke teller)

Elmo - Lady Beth (teenie tiny voice )

The Count - Tinman (full of information)

Cookie Monster - Morgan (biggest mouth) (sorry mom!)

Ernie - C J Strolin (especially when dealing with Richard English)

Burt - Richard English (especially when dealing with C J)

Rubber Duckie - Kalleh (makes people happy by welcoming them)

Snuffleupagus - shufitz (that big nose)

Big Bird - the rest of you can fight over him! (As tall as he is, it could be more than one anyway)

Note: Snuffleupagus, don't take advantage of the rubber duckie! Wink

Posts: 64 | Location: Martinsburg, W.V.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, Blues, great job! Big Grin I did so like the rationale for the Snuffleupagus character! Razz

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner.

The Wordcrafter cast of "Rocky Horror Picture Show":

Brad Majors & Janet Weiss - Shufitz & Kalleh. Of course!

Dr. Scott - R.E. Another no-brainer, just change the accent from German to British.

The Criminologist narrator - Tinman. The man with all the answers.

Dr. Frank N. Furter - A bit of a tough one here. One hesitates to cast oneself in a leading role but I am a wild and an untamed thing. Plus I think I'm the only Wordcrafter who would be willing to wear Frankie's outfits in public.

Rocky Horror - Bob Hale. In part to make up for not casting him as Dr. Furter. (You can understudy me, B.H.)

Riff Raff - Hic et ubique. The ultimate victor.

Magenta - LadyBeth alternating performances with museamuse (lucky Hic!). Sexy in a dark, mysterious way.

Columbia - Morgan. Break out those tap shoes!

The big red lips that open the movie - TrossL. Full, sensuous, extremely provocative!

Partying Transylvanians - arnie, Whitney, Asa, blues, Jerry T., Graham, wordnerd etc etc etc.

It's just a jump to the left!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Nah, I see Asa as Rocky. I'm not sure why, but in my mind, that just seems right.

Lisa (member of FOTC)

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
No comment on your own part??

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
When I went in costume it was usually as Magenta. Which makes sense for your cast as that actress was the same one who did the mouth in the opening credits.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Just to let you all know, I am not Transylvanian, and, with the exception of the nylons, not a transvestite. TrossL, I do hope this clears things up in your mind. Confused

posted Hide Post
quote:
... with the exception of the nylons, not a transvestite.

Just got this mental picture of ASA, ala, Joe Namath years back! Big Grin

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Rocky was NOT a Transylvanian either. He was created as "the perfect male" by Dr. Frankenfurter. Rocky was the blond Adonis in the movie. Did 90% in gold speedo, not nylons. Lifted weights, was tan. I only meant what I said in a complimentary way. Wink

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
On the negative side, however, he definitely was no Fred Astaire! The popular assumption was that he had to have been recruited from some musclehead gym primarily (maybe solely, even?) for his monumentally muscled physique. The guy had more muscles in his forehead than I have in my entire body BUT I bet I could take him on in a limerick challenge any day!

Plus he danced like a drunken moose.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I's OK. Asa can be Rocky.
I'd much rather be Eddie anyway (a character I think CJ forgot). That gold underwear just looks so damned cold.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
I'd much rather be Eddie anyway (a character I think CJ forgot).

Damn, you're right! Eddie, of course. I did remember him when I first thought this out (this is the sort of thing I do to go to sleep at night. No, really!) but then misplaced my notes.

B.H., Eddiehood is yours and, like they used to say in the 50's, don't let your Meat Loaf.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Damn, you're right! Eddie, of course. I did remember him when I first thought this out (this is the sort of thing I do to go to sleep at night. No, really!) but then misplaced my notes.

You make notes about this stuff ? Good lord man, you're in a worse state than I thought. You need to take a break from your regal responsibilities !

Vescere bracis meis.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Hey, B.H.! How about a Wordcraft cast of "Alice Through the Looking Glass"??

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Hey, B.H.! How about a Wordcraft cast of "Alice Through the Looking Glass"??

Very well, as you've taken to cross thread hints now.
Bear in mind I'm winging it here with no prior preparation and certainly no actual thought. I may well use characters from both books. I don't know yet. I'm in good company though as I have yet to see a television or film version that didn't mix and match to some extent.

Tempting though it is to cast CJ and RE in the roles of Tweedledee and Tweedledum I'm not going to do it. Instead I'm giving those roles to tinman and arnie who have both shown themselves to be dab hands at researching.

For Alice (lacking the correcter gender myself) I'll pick Kalleh on the grounds that she has shown an interest in the book that while not nearly as fanatical as mine is certainly more than most people's.

Now let's see. CJ...hmmm. I've always been suspicious about that caterpillar - what exactly was in that hookah ? So CJ is the caterpillar.

RE simply has to be Humpty Dumpty although if he intends to perch on high walls for very long perhaps a little more sobriety in his habits might be called for. After all the king's horses and king's men have other duties to attend to besides trying to put him back together.

The White Rabbit, will I thing, be played in this production by shufitz. No particalar reason for that one.

There's various royalty to play with so TrossL can be the Red Queen with Morgan as the White Queen while Sarah clearly has the requisite authority to be the Queen of Hearts and remove all of our heads.

The Dormouse is any one of our sleeping members - those who make up the numbers but have never actually contributed to any forum.

I think I see FatStan as the Cheshire Cat, appearing from time to time and then fading out leaving behind only a grin.

We still need a Mad Hatter and a March Hare and I'm rapidly running out of people so those will need to go to Asa and Duncan.

Back to the royalty and we see LadyBeth as the Duchess with Jerry taking on the task of portraying the Knave of Hearts.

Anyone I have left out can be the assorted members of the Garden of Live Flowers.

And me ?
Well I think I'll be the White Knight. I've always had a soft spot for the old duffer and his crazy inventions.

Vescere bracis meis.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
"I claim the Jabberwock," he said frumiously.

(And I've never had the slightest doubt what was in that hookah.)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post