Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game Word: Algerining
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game Word: Algerining Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Our new bluffing game word is algerining. For those who haven't played before, please send me a PM with a daffynition that will fool others. When I collect about 6-8 or so, I will post them all, along with the real definition. Then people will try to select the real definition.

I think I have you all fooled this time! Cool

[Edited for typo: The word is algerining, not alferining.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have 2 so far. Keep 'em comin'!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I need a few more. Come on, Wordcrafters!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have 8 now. Tomorrow I will be flying to Vermont for a conference. I will post the daffynitions, and the real thing, tomorrow night. If anyone has a daffynition you want included, send it by tomorrow night.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oy vey. I made a mistake. Life is just too busy lately.

The word is actually algerining, not alferining. Proof's daffy wouldn't work with the switch of a g for an f so I am giving him a chance to send me another. If you, too, would like to change yours, please feel free. I will post them tomorrow evening for sure.

Sorry about that, folks!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay! Here we go...which is the real definition?

Algerining:

1) An engineering term that means the reduction of high points on a surface, using a linisher.

2) A mild chemical reaction caused by using cast-iron beer-keg taps, providing characteristic flavor 'twang' in certain vintage beers.

3) Prowling around with the intent to commit burglery.

4) Stripping the bark off twigs into long curling shavings.

5) Covering with iron plates to resist cannonballs, viz. the Confederate ship Merrimac.

6) Metal working.

7) Bearing a toxic venom; used of snakes, etc.

8) To hunt for spectacular blooms of algae.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ahem! Time to guess!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
OK I'll try 4

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2. The definition has been rendered into the vernacular with intent to deceive; the chemical producing the taste is "algerine."

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
One

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Two for me please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I suspect Haberdasher of being a chemist, I'll assume he's misleading us, so I'll take a really wild guess at #3. Maybe someone's out to steal beer kegs.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses? I'll post the answers on Saturday.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
hmmm. Seven?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought I had everyone on this one. However, Geoff got it right. Good for you, Geoff, and Ugh for me!

How's about the next word?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hey, Kalleh! How about letting us know who supplied which daffynitions? Where did you find the word and its real meaning?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, I thought I had everyone on this one. However, Geoff got it right... Ugh

Sorry, Kalleh, it was an accident. I thought it read, "...intent to commit buggary." Been reading about politicians too much lately. :rolleyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey, Kalleh! How about letting us know who supplied which daffynitions? Where did you find the word and its real meaning?
Oh, sorry about that, arnie! I will do that tomorrow.

Geoff, will you do the next word?

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'll go for number 5.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Geoff, will you do the next word?

Sure. Which word would you like? Roll Eyes

Uhhh, wait a minute - I'll think of one on Sunday when my mind's not full of feathers.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay then. This is a little backwards, but here is what people submitted and guessed:

1) An engineering term that means the reduction of high points on a surface, using a linisher. Submitted by Richard; guessed by Proof.

2) A mild chemical reaction caused by using cast-iron beer-keg taps, providing characteristic flavor 'twang' in certain vintage beers. Submitted by Bethree; guessed by Hab and arnie.

3) Prowling around with the intent to commit burglery. The real thing; guessed by Geoff.

4) Stripping the bark off twigs into long curling shavings. Submitted by Kalleh; guessed by Bob.

5) Covering with iron plates to resist cannonballs, viz. the Confederate ship Merrimac.
Submitted by Hab; guessed by Richard.

6) Metal working. Submitted by Geoff; guessed by no one.

7) Bearing a toxic venom; used of snakes, etc. Submitted by arnie; guessed by Bethree.

8) To hunt for spectacular blooms of algae. Submitted by Proof; guessed by no one.