Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing game: ort
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing game: ort Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
A nice short word this time: ORT.

Please send your daffynitions to me in the usual way, by PM.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Four daffynitions plus the real meaning are in so far. However, three are from the same person. Keep 'em coming!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
Just sent you a pm.

posted Hide Post
I know! Since 18 May is the date that Washington's Mt St.Helens blew, sending shockwaves up and down the Cascade mountain range, it stands for "Oregon Really Trembled." It gave my house a good shaking 150 miles away.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Ten daffys plus the real meaning so far. I'll give it twelve hours or so and then post the list for you to guess from.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I sent mine, and I have to say, it is good! Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A good selection of meanings this tie, but only one is the real one.

Make your guesses below!

1. A theoretical ice cloud which forms a spherical shell around the outer solar system at a distance of between one and three light years from the sun.
2. Military acronym. Operationally Required Transport - the list of vehicles required during a specific military operation.
3. A scrap or remainder of food from a meal.
4. a small hole in the stern of a sailboat into which is inserted the pivot of the tiller
5. a cross between an orange and a tangerine
6. A vessel used by alchemists to heat quicksilver.
7. The goo-like material from which an orc is made.
8. Often Really Tired; an acronym used in medicine to describe a state of continuous fatigue.
9. A hypothetical particle that is smaller than a quark.
10. An abbreviation for Ophthalmic Resonance Testing
11. A line in geometry that extends beyond the plane of the ecliptic.
12. A secret or unknown place.
13. The original name for the reboot button on a computer; also, used in the same way in robotics.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Having eliminated various ones for various reasons I am left with about four to choose from - so I'll try number 11.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I keep changing my mind. I have three I like, One, four, and six. I think I will go with number one as the correct answer, and six as the most creative.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sattva,

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I know this one so I'm staying mum for now.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Interesting that there should be multiple entries claiming it as an acronym. Though one could, of course, be correct, do you think people were influenced subconsciously by your writing it in caps?

<Proofreader>
posted
It's actually a pron used in some regional dialects, as in "I don't want to but they say I ort to do it."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Possibly, Bob.

Actually, three out of eleven acronym definitions (27%) are given, which is not really all that many.

In fact, though, the thread's heading has it in lower case and I only wrote it in caps to make it stand out. I suspect the reason is also that it has only three letters, as do so many acronyms.

posted Hide Post
Just to make sure it's not #1 I'll pick it. However, being fond of small holes in sterns, I'll make #4 my second choice.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Only four guesses in so far. There's still two or three regulars yet to post. Proof: I see you posted but didn't make a guess. How about it?

posted Hide Post
Cross-threading:
"Everyone, move to the back of the boat," said Tom sternly.

Ipsi-threading:
For cleverness: another vote for 6. Runner-up for cleverness: 9.
For superb misdirection: 1.
For real: 3.

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I have no idea but nine seems reasonably idiotic.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Last call. Any more guesses? Kalleh, anyone?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The results

1. A theoretical ice cloud which forms a spherical shell around the outer solar system at a distance of between one and three light years from the sun.
Bob's. Fooled sattva and Geoff.

2. Military acronym. Operationally Required Transport - the list of vehicles required during a specific military operation.
Bob's. Fooled no-one.

3. A scrap or remainder of food from a meal.
The real thing. Hab and tinman got it. See https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/ort

4. a small hole in the stern of a sailboat into which is inserted the pivot of the tiller
hab's. Fooled no-one.

5. a cross between an orange and a tangerine
Mine. Fooled no-one.

6. A vessel used by alchemists to heat quicksilver.
Geoff's. Fooled no-one.

7. The goo-like material from which an orc is made.
sattva's. Fooled no-one.

8. Often Really Tired; an acronym used in medicine to describe a state of continuous fatigue.
Kalleh's. Fooled no-one.

9. A hypothetical particle that is smaller than a quark.
sattva's. Fooled Proof.

10. An abbreviation for Ophthalmic Resonance Testing
sattva's. Fooled no-one.

11. A line in geometry that extends beyond the plane of the ecliptic.
sattva's. Fooled no-one.

12. A secret or unknown place.
Bob's. Fooled no-one.

13. The original name for the reboot button on a computer; also, used in the same way in robotics.
sattva's. Fooled no-one.

B35 said she knew it, but didn't prove it, and Kalleh entered a daffy but didn't make a guess. Bob made the best showing by fooling two people with his allusion to the Oort cloud in 1.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Just a quick note on my three.

The ice cloud was meant as a spoiler because Oort.

The acronym was probably just because it's three letters and arnie originally wrote it in caps and I thought that the military love their acronyms.

The mysterious place was another attempt at a spoiler because "Ort" is German for "place".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
On 11, I fooled Bob, but he fooled me on one of his.

posted Hide Post
Ort used to be a common crossword puzzle word. I don't know if it still is.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Bob should do the next word as he fooled two of us.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I did "bumfit" very recently. I'm sure someone else would like a turn.

posted Hide Post
Anyone have a word they want to use in a bluffing game?

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Ort used to be a common crossword puzzle word. I don't know if it still is.
This was my problem. As a decades-long crossword-puzzler wannabe, I know this word from way back, so I didn't vote. As you note, it doesn't show up as often anymore.

BTW, my yrs of assaying have produced if anything less crossword-acumen than I had in youth. Have actually become adept at the below-the-fold "KenKen" (a sudoku-type number-logic puzzle) purely as periodic relief to the sweat-inducing crosswoed.

I am better at the 'tricky' stuff: Mel Taub's "Puns & Anagrams" was my fave, & I enjoy it when NYT brings out his old stuff (they just did last week), tho the previously-unpublished selections pale in comparison to his '70's-'80's prime material. My Mom excelled at the NYT crossword AND diagramless [which still leaves me foundering] AND the Middleton acrostics (the best of that genre) AND taught me how to do the Taub stuff.

And I LOVE the relatively-new NYT adjunct puzzle-page w/its Spelling Bee, Winding Down & Whirlpool. But still trying desperately to glean the game behind Brit-style (?) cryptics... any hints/ cheats, you-all?

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I am a bit of a dab-hand at cryptic, although I prefer those of middling difficulty such as The Telegraph. The Times is too obscure, some of the Sunday Supplements are plain ridiculous and the tabloid ones are far far too easy. Introduced them to some chums at the bar and now we buy books of them and work on them as we drink. We can generally polish of a typical one in about half an hour.

If anyone is interested (bethree5?) I'd be happy to start a thread explaining how to solve them.

The typical US style crosswords a) are reliant on knowledge rather than skill and b) contain way way too little black space meaning that many words might be completed without even reading the clue.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am sorry - I didn't vote. We were busy over the Memorial Day weekend.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post