Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Entitled - Rough Justice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entitled - Rough Justice Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
Rough Justice
This is a book by Lisa Scottoline. The back cover says . . .
quote:
Criminal lawyer Marta Richter is hours away from winning an acquittal for her client, millionaire businessman Elliot Steere, on trial for the murder of a homeless man who had tried to carjack him. But as the jury begins deliberations, Marta discovers the chilling truth about her client's innocence. Taking justice into her own hands, she furiously sets out to prove the truth, with the help of two young associates. In an excruciating game of beat-the-clock with both the jury and the worst blizzard to hit Philadelphia in decades, Marta will learn that the search for justice isn't only rough -- it can also be deadly.

Send your fabulous first lines to me by PM this week. Let's get this together so I can post them on Friday or Saturday!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've sent mine. Is everybody else making me look good or do you have more entries? So glad you picked up the reins, Cathy!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've gotten yours and Bob's. Come along, then, everyone - send me a probably first line for this book, please! PM's a-waiting!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine's-a-comin' Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Rough Justice

Send your fabulous first lines to me by PM this week. Let's get this together so I can post them on Friday or Saturday![/QUOTE]

Mine has arrived, though my non-American English has been edited!

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Yes - I'll post these later today - lots of good first lines! Problem is, I left the book at work and need to get there to post, but my son has been suffering with stomach flu (ick). I'll be in there later today, though, and will post . . . probably during my dinner hour.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
OK - here are a slurry of first lines. Vote on which you think should/would be the first line of the book _Rough Justice_ by Lisa Scottoline. As you can see, there are some couplets of lines, too . . . never know which is what! Lovely writing, all of it. Vote early, vote often!

1. It was 4:00 a.m., and she hadn't slept a wink all night.

2. It started with a slip of the tongue. At first, Marta Richter thought she'd misunderstood him.

3. "Looks as if the snow will hold off until Thursday," Amy Sparks, chief Meteorlogist for WNP said, "but it'll be pretty chilly."

4. Elliot Steere slumped in his chair, dejected, a most uncharacteristic pose for a man of his influence in that bustling, seedy city known as The Cradle of the Nation. Twelve floors below on Broad Street, traffic rumbled, curses flew among the pigeons, and a solitary cry reached Steere's window as he reached for his cell phone to speed dial Marta, his attorney: " Yo, loser !"

5. The radio blared, the familiar howl of the Stones startling Marta back to the world of white that threatened to swallow her:

"I give you my positions
Don't want no oppositions
It's rough justice
But you know I'll never break your heart "

6. The snow had advanced beyond flurries now, and as Marta Richter prepared reluctantly to abandon the warmth of her SUV, she smiled with satisfaction as she saw the new DA from Dallas’s Mercedes slide crossways down the center of the courthouse parking lot.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Me for Two
And two for me
Me for you
And you for Me....

Oops... I'll vote for #2

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Er...miss...miss...miss, (waves arm in air)...where's mine miss? I did do my homework... really miss.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I forgive you. It's not as if I spent hours on crafting the perfect first line, no siree. (wipes tear on sleeve)

I'll take 1.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
I like #4.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll vote for Bob's.
(that would be #7).

If I get an alternate vote, please give me #5.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw, wordmatic, you are a sweetie in real life, I bet (I never consider this real life).

I'll be honest, except for mine Wink, I can't see any of them. I just can't imagine using the first and last name in the first sentence. And we were supposed to write the just the first sentence, right? Ah well...I will choose the Amy sentence because it seems the least obvious; that's number 3.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Ok - I missed Bob's, and I missed Pearce's. This is not (I promise) a plot of any kind! I remember talking to them both about their submissions, and even exchanging pleasantries, but neither one is still in my PM box, so I've not included them here. This was completely an oversight on my part . . . and I believe it might be because they've deleted the threads from their boxes. You see, if you start a PM conversation and then delete it, it is deleted from both PM lists, not just your own.

I am terribly sorry about not including your submissions! I claim complete (and total) scatterbrainedness . . . because I don't keep notes on them. I just go into my PM box and use what I see there.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Ah-HA--this explains why some of the PMs coming to me for "logaoedic" have disappeared from my PM box also. Fortunately I have them also coming through to my email, so I still have them there. I'll post the answers to those late today or tomorrow.
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Aw, wordmatic, you are a sweetie in real life, I bet (I never consider this real life).

Aw, shucks, Kalleh. anyway, as far as I am concerned, this is real life!

Wordmatic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Caterwauller:
Ok - I missed Bob's, and I missed Pearce's.

No. 2 please

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Is this a first? I got a vote and mine wasn't even posted!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Is this a first? I got a vote and mine wasn't even posted!

"Everybody does it in America."
--Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I submitted mine a few days before the deadline but it didn't get posted.

Here it is, just for the record ....
quote:
As always, just before sleep, she repeated her mantra --- "Justice is a decision in your favor."

Investigation revealed that I had sent it to myself instead of sending it to its proper addressee. I attribute such errors to the (prescription) drugs that are a part of my diet ever since my heart attack. ...

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good point, Wordcrafters. I also never collect the definitions anywhere else except in my PMs. That means...please don't delete your PMs for the Bluffing Game or the Entitled Game until the answers have been posted.

If the person who starts the PM deletes it, it will disappear also from the box of the recipient. I am sure that's what happened. I would have done the same thing, CW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well! This has certainly been an exciting game, eh? I failed to post 2 submissions that were sent, I failed to get sent a submission that was fabulous, and one of the un-submitted entries garnered a vote! Fabulous!

I love you guys! Good thing you tolerate me, too!

Here are the entries and their authors. I'd tally votes but I'm certain, given the way this round is going, that I'd screw that up as well! Big Grin

1. It was 4:00 a.m., and she hadn't slept a wink all night. (Kalleh)

2. It started with a slip of the tongue. At first, Marta Richter thought she'd misunderstood him. (real - I thought I'd put the next line in, given that it was so similar to some of the submissions that way.)

3. "Looks as if the snow will hold off until Thursday," Amy Sparks, chief Meteorlogist for WNP said, "but it'll be pretty chilly." (Asa)

4. Elliot Steere slumped in his chair, dejected, a most uncharacteristic pose for a man of his influence in that bustling, seedy city known as The Cradle of the Nation. Twelve floors below on Broad Street, traffic rumbled, curses flew among the pigeons, and a solitary cry reached Steere's window as he reached for his cell phone to speed dial Marta, his attorney: " Yo, loser !" (Wordmatic)

5. The radio blared, the familiar howl of the Stones startling Marta back to the world of white that threatened to swallow her:

"I give you my positions
Don't want no oppositions
It's rough justice
But you know I'll never break your heart "
(Jo)

6. The snow had advanced beyond flurries now, and as Marta Richter prepared reluctantly to abandon the warmth of her SUV, she smiled with satisfaction as she saw the new DA from Dallas’s Mercedes slide crossways down the center of the courthouse parking lot. (Saranita)

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw heck, CW, you did a great job.

I was only kidding about mine being the most plausible submission, though I am a bit anal and when someone says "first line," I take it to mean one and only one sentence. Roll Eyes I should have been in the military I guess. And as far as not posting some of the entries, it was because they had deleted them from their PM system. That surely wasn't your fault.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I attribute such errors to the (prescription) drugs

Jerry, I'm so glad you're still willing to come play with us. Don't let a few little slips keep you away! We feel fortunate to have you with us!

~Dalai Lama

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I failed to see that this game had progressed. For some reason my computer no longer gets threads to which I've subscribed as e-mails. DAMN!!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post