Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Cents Sense Scents or Bear Beer Bare
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cents Sense Scents or Bear Beer Bare Login/Join

posted
3 words that sound exactly the same when spoken...with different meanings..Is there a name for this?...Can anyone take the list further? Smile

posted Hide Post
well, they are homonyms. Except beer does not sound like bear and bare.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Jo...I say beer just like bear...or Bare....In Boston...it may sound different...they say beeer..like bee r..."give me a beer or "I see a bear...sound exactly the same to me..

posted Hide Post
Welcome, GB!

Speaking of cents/sense/cents, there's also cense. That makes four homonyms. Let our imaginations roam - are there other families of four? Maybe even larger ones?

PS. Depending on regional accent, you might also include bier and Bayer (aspirin, or maybe one who howls at the moon). Though personally I have three different pronunciations for them: beer/bier rhyming with "here;" bear/bare rhyming with "hair", and bayer rhyming with "mayor."
(If it matters - my accent is modified New York City.)

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rose, rows, rhos, roes
crews, cruise, crus, cruz

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, those Boston accents can be quite funny, as I've found on OEDILF. Roll Eyes

My committee chair is Bostonian and says, "agendar" and "idear" and "Brendar." We have quite a good time listening to him! Wink

Neveu...how impressive to have 4!

Some tri-homonyms:

mark, marc, marque
adds, ads, adze
your, you're, yore
you, ewe, yew
whined, wined, wind

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's a bit of a stretch, but you could have

told, tolled, towelled

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another stretch: air, heir, ere, and 'air (hair Cockney fashion with dropped aitch)

...which reminds me of a joke an East Londoner friend of mine says when he quotes his favorite Bach tune as "'Air on a G-string")

A pair of homophones I've always found interesting are 'raise' and 'raze' since, in sense, they have opposite meanings.

And to be a little nitpicky, what you have all quoted are not generally considered homonyms but homophones (words that sound the same but are spelled differently). And to be even nitpickier, according to the Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms, homonyms are a category of words that are spelled or sound the same but have different meanings, while homophones are a sub-category of these.

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Some tri-homonyms:

mark, marc, marque
adds, ads, adze
your, you're, yore
you, ewe, yew
whined, wined, wind

You're is a homonym of ewer to me, not of your and yore. Hearing it pronounced your drives me crazy. Most of the time I hear it pronounced yer, which is alright.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can anyone come up with the quad?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, balderdash, Tinman. Now it is essential that we meet because I have to hear how you pronounce "you're," "your," and "yore." I remember Bob telling me that he pronounces "fire" with one syllable, and I didn't believe him. When I met Bob, I asked him to pronounce it. What must sound like 1 syllable to him, sounds like 2 to me because we both pronounce "fire" similarly. I suspect that's the case with "your," "yore" and "you're."

Goofball, didn't Neveu already post two quad homonyms?

I found this online, though we have talked about the pronunciation of "err" before, which is controversial. However, at least in the U.S., the rhyming of "err" with "air" seems to be preferred:

air - what we breathe

are - 1/100th of a hectare

e'er - contraction of "ever"

ere - eventually

err - to make a mistake

heir - one who will inherit

Here is what that site includes for a quad-homonym:

bel - indian thorn tree

Bel - Babylonian god

bell - ding ding

belle - beautiful woman

Sorry...but I just couldn't come up with them myself.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
well, they are homonyms. Except beer does not sound like bear and bare.

I have started a theme on Wordcraftjr about homophones, which are words that sound the same but have different meanings and spellings. That got me thinking about this thread.

Strictly speaking, aren't homonyms words that are spelled the same and sound the same, but have different meanings (like "bank" of a river and "bank" for money)? Aren't the words we've been posting really "homophones?" And then words that are spelled alike, but sound differently (like "bow" of a ribbon and "bow" as in bending from the waist in respect) are "homographs?"

posted Hide Post
gaaaaaaaaaah

I cannot believe I said that. HOMOPHONES. Of course. How could I... oh well, chalk it up to old age and dying brain cells.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the whole hole thyme time weave we've ben been talking on the Homo-phone and didnt know no it..

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This thread inspired me to do a wordcraftjr theme on homophones. I found another one with 4 homophones. A Web site I have been using cited these 3:

Palate - taste
pallet - a platform for transporting goods; bed
pallette - a selection of paint

However, the author got mixed up on meanings; these are correct:

Palate - taste (or the roof of the mouth)
Pallet - A narrow hard bed or straw-filled mattress or a platform for storing or moving goods that are stacked on it
Palette - A board, typically with a hole for the thumb, which an artist can hold while painting and on which colors are mixed
Pallette - One of the rounded armor plates at the armpits of a suit of armor