Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Malaprops? in Wordcraft?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malaprops? in Wordcraft? Login/Join

posted
Seems to me it would be fun to have a thread of malaprops. This particular one might also go in the "dumber than ..." thread or in arnie's latin thread, but I'll use it here. smile
quote:
I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people.
-- former US Vice President Dan Quayle

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
That particular one may be an urban legend, though oft-reported, but there's no question that Quayle and many other politicans are rich sources of malaprops.

Republicans understand the importance of bondage between a mother and child.
-- Dan Quayle

We shall reach greater and greater platitudes of achievement.
-- the late Richard J. Daley, long-time mayor of my fair city

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people.
-- former US Vice President Dan Quayle

Actually, that particular Quayle "quote" was made up. Representative Claudine Schneider of Rhode Island, a Republican congressperson, attributed it to him in a speech as a joke, but many papers took it as a true quote. See the Urban Legends Reference Pages.

That site includes for good measure a number of real "Quaylisms", including:
  • "If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
  • "I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."
  • "We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur."
  • "It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, did anyone see "The Family Circus" cartoon in the newspaper yesterday, Aug. 22? Well, it was a very cute malaprop.

EDIT: See the pic below that Arnie so nicely put in for me! (Sorry, I still can't get the images to work right. This is posted on my home page. Any help, greatfully accepted!) roll eyes

Edit: Oops! red face Is this a mondegreen?

[This message was edited by Morgan on Sat Aug 24th, 2002 at 9:36.]

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just heard: "I generally jump to confusions"

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here ya go...

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are a couple of letters that Dear Abby was at a total loss with:

Dear Abby,
A couple of women moved in across the hall from me. One is a
middle-aged gym teacher, and the other is a social worker in her
mid-twenties. These two women go everywhere together, and I've never
seen a man go into their apartment or come out. Do you think they could
be Lebanese? red face

Dear Abby,
My mother is mean and short-tempered. Do you think she is going
through her mental pause? eek

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A common malapropism of Sam Goldwyn, the late film mogul, is: "Oral contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on"!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, that is great! I found some more about Goldwyn.
In the 1940s the movie mogul Sam Goldwyn misused language so much that malaprops became known as Goldwynisms.

• A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.
  • I read part of it all the way through.
  • I never liked him and I probably always will.
  • Every Tom, Dick and Harry is named William.
  • For your information, I would like to ask a question.
  • Now, gentlemen, listen slowly.
  • In two words: im-possible!
  • Include me out.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The Goldwyn examples you cite are not, strictly speaking, malapropisms.

A malapropism (from the character Mrs Malaprop) is the use of one word in mistake for another.

For example, "Whisky is a good anecdote for snakebite" or "We'll have to wash them in a strong deterrent".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
>>"the Goldwyn examples you cite are not, strictly speaking, malapropisms"

Quite right. But what would you call them? The closest I can think of is Irish Bull, but that doesn't seem to be a precise fit either.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Why not just call them Goldwynisms?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Goldwyn had a form of dyslexia. I have a girlfriend who makes the exact same kind of mistakes. She mixes up her idioms and collocations and comes out with some hilarious phrases at times (they're in Greek so I won't list them). She has been diagnosed with a form of dyslexia. I will ask her if there is a name for it (but she'll probably get it wrong!).

amuseamouse razz

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
reviving a thread...

I read about this commom malapropism on that languagelog site I posted about in links for linguaphiles:

"Andrew Sullivan notes a NYT reader review of Fahrenheit 9/11 saying that the 'Bush Administration damns itself through its own actions, its own words, its own lies...all documented for prosperity.' This is a surprisingly common malapropism. Google has 21 instances of 'documented for prosperity', 8 instances of 'preserving * * for prosperity', etc., most of which seem to be sincere mistakes."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post