Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game: Powfag
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game: Powfag Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It has been awhile since I have posted a bluffing game word. So...what are your daffynitions for: Powfag?

Put on your thinking caps, and send me your daffynitions via PMs. Please do not delete you PM until the game is over.

Thanks...and let's get going! Cool

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine's on the way.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
I have sent mine.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I also sent one.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've got about 6 now. Any more?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Just sent mine.

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow's the day for posting the daffynitions. Any more before then? I got some nice ones!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow has come and gone...and no daffynitions, right? Sorry! I wasn't on the computer for one moment yesterday, with our work holiday party and then our family's Hanukkah party.

Here they are!

1) It's the utterance of a politically correct street warden whilst delivering an uppercut to a chap with a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth.

2) To gossip; to make up stories about others.

3) Contemptuous slang term used by modern young Native Americans to describe the ritual pipe passed amongst the men of the tribe at Pow Wows.

4) To work to the point of exhaustion.

5) Declaration of war. (from Hopi tribal language).

6) To search diligently, but without result.

7) A subspecies of leech, Hirundinea Powfagia, found commonly in freshwater streams in the US Appalachian region.

8) A type of woven hat made in South America.

9) A type of Iroquois tribal conference in which cigarettes, rather than peace pipes, were smoked.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's a cigarette smoking Hopi leech that's belligerent and works too hard.

No? OK, I'll guess #8

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
4. please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
1 is clearly a joke.

3,9 and maybe 5 are blatant red herrings. Although, I don't know, they could just look like red herrings, maybe pinkish herring.

2,4 and 6 are verbs and it sounds like a noun to me.

7 can't surely be true, the "a type of x found in y" snowclones are never true, are they?

That leaves me with a woolly hat and as my Dad wanted a woolly hat for Christmas, I'll go with that.

8 please.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#4 for me, also.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'll go with that blatant red herring, #5.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Pearce has PMd me that he chooses #2.

Because of the holidays, I will give it a few more days. Anyone else?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I guess #4.

Good word, btw.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, CW! I chose it because I knew people could come up with a lot of fun daffynitions. I found it only on Tsuwm's site (in his Hogwash section), and therefore was surprised that so many of you got it right. That's the way it goes, I guess. Here are the answers:

1) It's the utterance of a politically correct street warden whilst delivering an uppercut to a chap with a cigarette dangling from the corner of his mouth. [Surely this came from a British poster, right? This was Pearce's daffynition; he had no takers.]

2) To gossip; to make up stories about others. [Kalleh's red herring; Pearce selected this one.]

3) Contemptuous slang term used by modern young Native Americans to describe the ritual pipe passed amongst the men of the tribe at Pow Wows.[Jo's daffynition, though she sent me another that she thought might be considered "too un-PC;" no takers...perhaps her "un-PC" one would have worked!]

4) To work to the point of exhaustion. [Good heavens; we have a lot of erudite people here. This was only in the WWFTD Dictionary, and yet Jo, CW, and Arnie knew it!]

5) Declaration of war. (from Hopi tribal language). [Bob's daffynition (he calls his own a "blatent red herring?"; Wordmatic took the bait...pun not intended!]

6) To search diligently, but without result. [Arnie's daffynition, and I would have chosen this one...Bob, I thought it sounded like a verb; however, there were no takers.]

7) A subspecies of leech, Hirundinea Powfagia, found commonly in freshwater streams in the US Appalachian region. [Asa's daffynition; again this one sounded like the real thing to me, but there were no takers.]

8) A type of woven hat made in South America. [CW's daffynition, and Asa and Bob were bluffed.]

9) A type of Iroquois tribal conference in which cigarettes, rather than peace pipes, were smoked. [Wordmatic's daffynition...this did sound like an Indian word to you Wordcrafters, didn't it? No takers.]

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I had no idea I was guessing correctly, Kalleh -I was just guessing!

*does dance of joy around kitchen for guessing right AND for folling Asa and Bob*

*giggles maniacally*

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post