Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    BLUFFING GAME: setenant
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLUFFING GAME: setenant Login/Join

posted
SETENANT

Definitions all week; I'll post the list next Friday.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jo,

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My entry's in, by PM.

Nice to have you with us !

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Mine's in by PM also!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I, too, have submitted the one true and authentic definition of SETENANT via private message.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Four definitions already. You guys are good!

If you want to send to me directly, my email is jemison@mchsi.com

posted Hide Post
We are now up to six definitions. I would like to get at least three more, or perhaps four or five or six? HEH...

surely there are more than six other people playing this game?

posted Hide Post
Weel, then...

Today is the last day to send me your definitions. If you prefer to use email, it is jemison@mchsi.com - though I would prefer private messaging.

I will post the proffered definitions tomorrow in the early ayem.

How long is voting?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"How long is voting," our wordmistress asks. Alas, the Supreme Court of the United States of America has ended its current session, and, knowing CJ's proteststions, my meanderings and misapplied definitions, Kalleh's laments, etc, we'll probably have to wait until they resume next year before a final assessment of the votes can be made. Wink Were you a Brit, we could simply petition parliament and let them fight it out! Wink Of course, Jo, you can close the round as you see fit. Normally these games run about one week from beginning to end.

posted Hide Post
1. A junior officer in the Black Watch, a British army regiment of guards. The equivalent of a Second Lieutenant in other regiments

2. A group of stamps differing in color or design, but printed next to each other on the same sheet.

3. Weakened by exposure to light.

4. Connecting; a biological term used for linking, especially of species.

5. A person who by right of birth is allowed to sit in the House of Lords but who has never taken up his position.

6. One who is obsessively attached to the number seven.

7. occurring every seven days

8. Maintaining the status quo, reluctant to change, from French, "tenir," "to hold."

9. In biology: a group differing in type but having connections due to environmental adaptation.

posted Hide Post
Okay. Somehow my post got totally kerflumoxed when I first tried to upload it. I don't know. Anyway, I completely lost one definition, and it has flown to the middens of cyberspace. GAAAAAHAHHH...

The original started with.... Let the games begin. So, y'all can start voting now. Could someone please please please help me with keeping track of who votes for what? I am hopeless these days.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
No idea, but I choose # 3. Good word, Jo!

Oh, and I love "kerflumoxed!" I will use it! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A great set of definitions this time.

I'll go 5 please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry i dont know how to play.
assuming i may pick only one,
and one which no one has picked,
i pick 8.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
All the definitions look possible, but I'll go for No. 2.

BTW, gnormal, you can pick any one definition; it doesn't matter if someone has already chosen it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnormal:
sorry i dont know how to play.
assuming i may pick only one,
and one which no one has picked,
i pick 8.

If you wish to change your pick you can, there's no rule against picking one that someone else has already chosen.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whilst you are voting and all, I must admit that my computer and I engaged in a battle over posting this list, as I stated earlier. I apologize most profusely, without yet naming names, that I managed to completely delete (and lose) two definitions. I am most heartily embarrassed, and apologize. sigh...

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Well, golly geewhilikers, I'm stumped! I'll just take a flying leap and hope it's #9.

Off the subject, but I note that several newcomers give no information in their personal profiles. Hard to learn much about someone who chooses anonymity! F'rinstance, are you a champion watermelon seed spitter, or do you crochet or skydive or tease small children or...?

Nosy neighbor Asa

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jo, not to worry. Most of us have made mistakes here. Most recently I forgot to include Asa's score with the rest of ours. And, really, forgetting it had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that he is only 1 measly point below me! Roll Eyes

Whilst you are voting and all,

Jo, having posted here with Brits for almost 2 years now, I am curious about your use of "whilst." I have only seen Brits use that word. Are you really from the UK, having only come to our fine state of Iowa for the excitement? Wink

posted Hide Post
nope. I'm born and bred in Oregon. But I like the sound of Whilst... Big Grin I suspect I use a lot of Brit terms, simply because my preferred reading is British literature of all kinds. And American murder mysteries... Razz

posted Hide Post
well, I'm not sure that it's the same word, but I think #2 matches the definition of something similar... that's prolly a guarantee that I'm wrong! Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, darn! Tsuwm and arnie had to post after I did!

BTW, Tsuwm, would you grace us with being our next wordmaster? We'd truly be honored. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
It's tempting to vote along with those posters who have in the past demonstrated massive vocabularial prowess (Wowsah!) but as good as #2 looks, I'll join gnormal in #8.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If I'm not too late I'll vote for EIGHT.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I will close the voting tomorrow (Saturday) at noon, Central Standard Time. I will post the results shortly thereafter. If anyone objects, please let me know ASAP.

posted Hide Post
If I'm not too fine.. I'll vote for NINE (#9)...

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll choose 7.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Cris J. Strollin says he'll join gnormal in #8. HUH!? Jeepers, all this time I've been thinking he was abgnormal! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I'll take a wild fling at five (purple prose and all). Sounds like a position I'd like to hold, myself.

PS. Can anyone think of a reason that "five" doesn't show up as purple (the way it should) on IE 5.1, but comes out fine on Safari?

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
alrighty now..... the voting is closed.

The votes are as follows: (Please correct me if I'm wrong)

#1 0
#2 2 Arnie; TSUWM?
#3 1 Kalleh
#4 0
#5 2 Bob Hale; Haberdasher
#6 0
#7 1 Tinman
#8 3 CJS; Jerry Thomas; Gnormal
#9 2 Asa; KHC

My next post will have the names of the submitters as well as the correct definition. Could some kind soul please rescue me and divvy up the point totals? Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Here are the names of the submitters. Congrats to Arnie and TSUWM for selecting the real definition.

1. A junior officer in the Black Watch, a British army regiment of guards. The equivalent of a Second Lieutenant in other regiments - Arnie

2. A group of stamps differing in color or design, but printed next to each other on the same sheet. - The real deal

3. Weakened by exposure to light. CHJ

4. Connecting; a biological term used for linking, especially of species. Kalleh

5. A person who by right of birth is allowed to sit in the House of Lords but who has never taken up his position. Bob Hale

6. One who is obsessively attached to the number seven. Jerry Thomas

7. occurring every seven days Haberdasher

8. Maintaining the status quo, reluctant to change, from French, "tenir," "to hold." Asa Lovejoy

9. In biology: a group differing in type but having connections due to environmental adaptation. - Anonymous Scrivener

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, okay, I'll do my job. However, as I sink further and further in the rankings, I may begin to cheat a bit! Wink Just kidding!

I was surprised that 2 people chose the definition that was so close to mine. Why didn't they choose mine, instead? Frown

Arnie - 41
CJ - 27.5 (boooo!)
Asa - 27 (booo!)
Kalleh - 25
Bob - 23 (we've decided that you get no points for fooling yourself)
KHC - 17.5
Jerry - 17
Hab - 8
Tinman - 7
Shu - 6
Winterbranch - 4
Jo - 4
Wordnerd - 3
jheem - 3
Tsuwm - 2
Gnormal - 0

Now, people with the lower numbers need to play more, that's all!

tsuwm, will you be our wordmaster next time, pretty please? Here are the rules. Basically, you post a word you think no one else will know (I imagine you'll be good at that! Wink). People will take a few days to PM you their daffynitions. Then you post them, and again give people a few days to vote. I keep track of the scores, though that may end soon, thanks to my sinking score! Mad

If you don't wish to be our wordmaster, please send me a PM, and we will look for someone else.

BTW, if the scores are ever wrong, please let me know as Asa did last time.

posted Hide Post
how come I only have two points? Don't I get anything for all the people who didn't guess the right definition? whimper, sigh...... Smile

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I must confess that I knew the word. As a boy, I used to collect stamps, and I remembered it from then. However, if I remember correctly, it was always written se-tenant.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hey, Kalleh, how about declaring the game won by arnie and starting fresh with TSUWM's word - assuming he'll do it, that is! (Hint, hint, TSUWM, please!)

And Jo, don't feel bad - if I, who was this game's originator on this board, hadn't awarded CJ Strollin one half point for brilliant bluffmanship, he wouldn't have edged me out! BOO HOOOOOO HOOOOO!

posted Hide Post
what am I supposed to feel bad about now? What did I do wrong this time?

Maybe I shouldn't do this stuff.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Nothing, Jo! You're doing fine! You asked about getting more points for fooling people. You get points if you fool everyone if your're the one submitting the word. No added points if someone gets the word right.

Now what am I doing wrong that I gave you the impression that you'd done something wrong?

Asa the confused Frown

posted Hide Post
oh, forgive me. I'm going through one of my very touchy periods, where everything seems worse than it is. I'm subject to some really black depressions. Sigh...

Everyone did very well indeed.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, glad that's settled! Wink

Jo, you did a great job, indeed. I had suspected that tsuwm may have defined "setenant" on his fine word site, but I searched for it and couldn't find it.

Hopefully, tsuwm will agree to be our next wordmaster. I have sent him a PM.

Asa, I am happy to start the scoring over and will do so next time, unless I hear some complaints from people. I know you've asked that before.

Jo came clean that she is 'anonymous scrivener' so I have given her 2 more points for fooling people. If you recall, we did decide previously that wordmasters can add their daffynitions, too. Also, I have added a comment in the rules that it is permissible to use a dictionary as a resource or for refining your daffynitions. I think that has been my downfall, though. I am going back to making mine up.

posted Hide Post
>it was always written se-tenant.

this was the source of my comment on whether I was thinking of a different word (and someone had submitted *that definition). try OneLook® on 'setenant' and you'll see support for Arnie's comment.

as to my acting as wordmaster, I don't think I check in here often enough to maintain control of a game... not that you guys are out of control or anything!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks anyway, Tsuwm. We would love you to do it in the future, though! Just give us a heads up.

I am going to ask Cat to see if she will join us here.

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
I second the motion to close this game out and start again fresh.

And, as the old joke goes, I'm so happy with my silver medal that I'm going right out to have it bronzed!

posted Hide Post
I've just replied to your PM, Kalleh - I'd love to join in!

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Great news, Cat! Glad you're here with us in the madhouse!

Might it be better if you were to start a new thread with the heading, "Bluffing Game (Mystery word)? Threads get pretty long otherwise!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cat! Asa, in the rules that I just posted, I did add that we should start a new thread with each word.

And, yes, CJ, I will start the scores over. However, it is a little irritating that I had been in second place for soooo long, but the time I slide down to fourth is the time we end the game! Mad

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't object to starting the scores afresh. It was getting a little embarrassing to be leading by so much. Red Face

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, arnie, you are such a gentleman. However, we all know you will surge ahead of us anyway. Roll Eyes

BTW, Cat, how are you doing in finding the word? We are patiently waiting.... Wink

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I am going to have to give Cat a friendly nudge! Wink