Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Etymology Game: aftermath
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etymology Game: aftermath Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
The 'after' part of aftermath is fairly obvious. Where does the 'math' part come from, though? Hint: it has nothing to do with mathematics. Smile

Please send your daffymologies to me by PM.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Mine is in. Thanks, arnie!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more entries?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Come on folks! Only three entries so far. Get your thinking caps on! Roll Eyes

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
No more entries yet. Come on people!

<Proofreader>
posted
Too many games in progress at one time.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So...the same people can play all games! I actually think goofy and z should get their you-know-whats in gear for this game!

posted Hide Post
I have sent etymologies to the Bluffing Game and daffynitions to the Etymology Game. I AM AN IDIOT! Or else there are too many games at once. Frown

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Still no more entries. I've published the results of the Bluffing Game so perhaps we can bend our brains in the direction of this game now.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened last couple of times we tried to launch this as a game. Not enough people are interested to make it work.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm interested, and do want it to succeed! See if you can get entries from Z and Goofy.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am, too, Bob, though I do think it's a bit harder than our other games. Too many people here know about etymologies of words, so it's hard to fool people. I'll ask z on the chat tomorrow if he'd give it a try. Generally he doesn't read these Wordplay posts.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
That's why my original suggestion was slightly different to arnie's.

I didn't propose that we submit plausible etymologies intended to fool anyone. I suggested we submit funny ones intended to make people laugh and the winner could be chosen by voting for your favourite.

And that is how I'm playing the game now. SO I guess whichever one is silliest is mine.

The real etymology could even be included when proposing a new word.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
oh, I like that idea, Bob. My brain had been freezing trying to think of a plausible etymology. I'll give it a try.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Here are the daffymologies for aftermath.

1. Refers to the Kingdom of Meath, in Ireland. After the collapse of the kingdom in the 12th century, the Irish 'dark ages' began.

2. Aftermath - (just the math) - From Proto-Germanic methe, meaning "method."

3. "People often make the mistake of dividing this word as after-math when it should more properly be divided as aft-ermath. Yes, its another nautical origin. The ermath was a mythical sea-serpent that destroyed ships. Unlike other mythical sea-serpents it always waylaid ships in pairs. One of the creatures would swim just below the surface. The other would rise behind the ship which would naturally flee under full sail straight towards the invisible submerged beast. At the last moment this serpent – the fore-ermath - would rise from the depths overturning the ship and begin to destroy and devour. The other, the aft-ermath – would only catch up as the ship was already no more than a floating pile of wreckage.
It still managed a good meal from the enterprise.

Or so the legends have it."

4. Originally a second crop of grass grown after the first had been harvested, from Old English mowth "a mowing, cutting of grass". Figurative sense by 1650s.

5. From after + Mithras, a Roman god of good fortune. Thus the result of the sacrifice is the aftermath.

6. Medieval coinage (from OF apres-matte), referring to straw pallets on which knights recovered after taxing competition, particularly jousting.

Time to guess!

posted Hide Post
4?

posted Hide Post
3 because awesome

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post

Thanks for playing, goofy! Now we must talk z into playing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Guess which one was mine, go on guess. <jumps up and down>

I'll guess 4 though I'd really rather choose mine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

posted Hide Post
I guess no. 3 as my favorite. And I guess it (3) is Mr. Hale's as well.

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Any more guesses? I'll post the results in the next day or so.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And when you do I have another one ready to go with slightly different rules (I always work to "my game, my rules).

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The results for aftermath:

1. Refers to the Kingdom of Meath, in Ireland. After the collapse of the kingdom in the 12th century, the Irish 'dark ages' began.

Mine. No takers

2. Aftermath - (just the math) - From Proto-Germanic methe, meaning "method."

Kalleh. No takers

3. "People often make the mistake of dividing this word as after-math when it should more properly be divided as aft-ermath. Yes, its another nautical origin. The ermath was a mythical sea-serpent that destroyed ships. Unlike other mythical sea-serpents it always waylaid ships in pairs. One of the creatures would swim just below the surface. The other would rise behind the ship which would naturally flee under full sail straight towards the invisible submerged beast. At the last moment this serpent – the fore-ermath - would rise from the depths overturning the ship and begin to destroy and devour. The other, the aft-ermath – would only catch up as the ship was already no more than a floating pile of wreckage.
It still managed a good meal from the enterprise.

Or so the legends have it."

Bob (surprise!). Chosen by goofy, Tom.

4. Originally a second crop of grass grown after the first had been harvested, from Old English mowth "a mowing, cutting of grass". Figurative sense by 1650s.

The real thing. See http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=aftermath Picked by Geoff, Bob

5. From after + Mithras, a Roman god of good fortune. Thus the result of the sacrifice is the aftermath.

Geoff. Guessed by Kalleh.

6. Medieval coinage (from OF apres-matte), referring to straw pallets on which knights recovered after taxing competition, particularly jousting.

bethree5. No takers.

posted Hide Post
Despite low participation, some good etymythologies - or whatever we're calling them. Smile Bob should win a special award for creativity.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As my special award I'm going to create the next round...