Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick game - San Francisco
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick game - San Francisco Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I wanted to be sure that my city hadn't been taken before so I searched for all the limerick places we've used. It's an interesting 4-page read!

Please send me a (or more) limerick(s) on my very favorite city: San Francisco. I think everyone knows how to pronounce it, right?

The more, the merrier!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, only 2 so far...but I am working on one.

Is the city too hard?

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
It's no harder than Yackandandah was, but it is nonetheless quite tricky if you're trying to rhyme all 4 syllables twice and can take a bit longer than towns with less syllables. If people are really struggling they can just rhyme on "cisco".

Personally I would be quite disappointed if you changed it now, as I am quite enjoying working on it, and I may have another one for you soon.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm on Easter vacation now. I'll work on a couple today.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've sent you one

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Greg, I wasn't intending to change it; I just wondered. Indeed, I received, via my email, a submission from a mysterious person. This one will be a go!

I worked for a long time on one and thought I had a real winner...using "Cisco." Then I realized the stupid homophone rule (which I've always hated) and knew no one would vote for that one. Back to the drawing board...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Oh, Greg, I wasn't intending to change it; I just wondered. Indeed, I received, via my email, a submission from a mysterious person. This one will be a go!

I worked for a long time on one and thought I had a real winner...using "Cisco." Then I realized the stupid homophone rule (which I've always hated) and knew no one would vote for that one. Back to the drawing board...

Now you know we are very relaxed about the rules here. Go ahead and post it.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Yeah - I agree. Anyway it would only be a homophone if the rhyme was something like "sand France Cisco", but it wouldn't be a homophone (in my view at least) if the rhyme was "hand-stand Cisco".

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I altered it a bit...not sure if the OEDILFers would approve of the rhyme (I'll be interested in your thoughts), but it's a go.

I have a few now. Thanks, everyone, for trying this hard one. I'll post them tomorrow so if anyone hasn't entered, please do.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
one more in under the wire

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
In a PM Kalleh mentioned that she liked the old system, where the person who initiated the game (previous winner) chose the winner and gave some commentary on the limericks. As I had not discovered you guys back then I have only been exposed to the voting system, which I certainly can't complain about because I've won a few, but I can't see why we can't do both, with the winner being determined by Poll, but when announcing the results the initiator can still give some commentary on the ones he/she liked and why, and others could add similar commentary on ones they thought worthy of special mention even if both the Poll and the initiator failed to mention them. What do the rest of you think?

Regards Greg

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Good idea Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Instructive for us amateurs, and adds to the game's fun reading quotient

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I will try to do that, Greg, though I am hardly a limerick expert. A little commentary will bring more, though.

I know I said I'd post these on Sunday, but I didn't get a chance so I was going to do it tonight. But mine's at work! I'll do it tomorrow, I promise.