Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game - castrametation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game - castrametation Login/Join

Picture of TrossL
posted
Okay folks. It's that time again. Send me your definitions or daffynitions for the word "castrametation" via PM and don't delete them until the game is over. When I get a goodly amount I will post the definitions and then we will all guess which one we think is correct. The person who garners the most guesses for their daffynition is the winner.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We've all been so busy arguing that I hope people have had the chance to send you daffynitions. I sent mine. Great word! Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I've received 4 so far. Jo, Jerry, Kalleh and Arnie. Thanks guys and gals! Keep 'em coming...

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Mine is in, TrossL. Let me know if it didn't show up.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Got bethree's and Bob's. Thanks y'all.
How about some of our other braintrust members? Come one Hab, Hic, Shu, Richard, Asa, Word... and everyone else!

posted Hide Post
Sent one. Bump.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
sorry, what with being away last weekend and then being buried in work at work, I only just saw this. Will send one later if it's not too late (after work!)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Never too late as we only have eight! Thanks Myth for yours.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
OK, mine is up there!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Okay, here we go! Pick which one you think is the correct definition of the word castrametation. And no fair looking it up, 'cause where's the fun in that?

Ten wordcrafters submitted their daffynitions and there is also the real definition included in the following. Happy Guessing!

1. The precise angle of bevel required for a cutting edge

2. The act of leaving a cheese to ripen

3. The collection of pollen on the hind legs and dense hairs of honey bees

4. The cutting to size of turning posts or columns in ancient Roman racetracks

5. Measurement of the vocal range of a eunuch

6. A form of cutaneous abrasion utilized by dermatologists to smooth and flatten the raised, often bulbous scars of acne patients

7. The process of interpreting the meaning of speeches delivered by Cuban Leader Fidel Castro. (derived from "Castro meant ...")

8. A process in which different kinds of rock are pressed together over thousands of years to form new kinds of minerals

9. The making or laying out of a camp

10. Torture used by the Inquisition consisting of strapping the arms together behind the back and then hoisting the victim into the air using a rope attached to the wrists

11. Tap dancing

posted Hide Post
It could be a number of these. Nine is the one that says "pick me" the most.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I'm picking Number Nine.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This time I will follow the crowd and go with NINE also.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Who am I to argue? Lucky number nine for me too, please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well, just to be different, I like No.6 best.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As the answer is so clearly number nine, I shall, without even reading the definitions, but knowing there are at least nine of them, choose, at random, number five.

Number five , please.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And having now read them I can only say that fools shouldn't play with dice.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BobHale:
As the answer is so clearly number nine...QUOTE]

How? How is the answer so clearly number nine??? WTF???

How does the word castrametation clearly mean anything besides something being castrated?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Because arnie and jo both went for it. If the answer is not number nine I'll eat my own small intestine... raw!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
TrossL, at least you do not have 100% going for #9, and I shall not follow the crowd either. The last one I hosted, all or nearly all got the right answer.

I'm voting for #4, but frankly, I hope it's 11!

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep, I am sure it's 9, too, because of the first four (and those 4 are right a lot of the time here!)choosing it, but I will go for #8, just to be different.

However, I am going to look it up now, and I know I won't be surprised. Roll Eyes

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Throwing out a rare word and asking such as we not to peek is like sloshing a jug of perfume around the room and asking us to swear we won't inhale.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I like number 2.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerry thomas:
Throwing out a rare word and asking such as we not to peek is like sloshing a jug of perfume around the room and asking us to swear we won't inhale.

Jerry! Are you saying that you peek? Why, that's cheating!!! Anyway, I don't believe you!

On the chance that you are wrong about all of us, I just want to say that if Bob has to start eating his own small intestine raw, will somebody please put a warning on the homepage so that I don't have to watch? Big Grin

Word-never-peeks-before-the-game-is-over-because-then-it-would-be-no-fun-matic

edited to change that intestine from "large" to "small".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
1. The precise angle of bevel required for a cutting edge – bethree

2. The act of leaving a cheese to ripen. – arnie

3. The collection of pollen on the hind legs and dense hairs of honey bees. – Kalleh

4. The cutting to size of turning posts or columns in ancient Roman racetracks - Trossl

5. Measurement of the vocal range of a eunuch – jo

6. A form of cutaneous abrasion utilized by dermatologists to smooth and flatten the raised, often bulbous scars of acne patients – wordmatic

7. The process of interpreting the meaning of speeches delivered by Cuban Leader Fidel Castro.
(derived from "Castro meant ..." - Jerry Thomas

8. A process in which different kinds of rock are pressed together over thousands of years to form new kinds of minerals – Caterwauller

9. The making or laying out of a camp – Dictionary.com

10. Torture used by the Inquisition consisting of strapping the arms together behind the back and then hoisting the victim into the air using a rope attached to the wrists. – Bob Hale

11. Tap dancing – Myth Jellies

And the winner is...
Dictionary.com
for getting 4 people to guess this correct answer. (Or 6 if you count BobHale and Kalleh who knew this was the correct answer.)

Honorable mentions go to wordmatic, jo, Trossl, Caterwauller and arnie for getting one guess each for their submissions.

Thanks for playing. The next person who starts this needs to pick a word that you can NOT find in any online dictionary. (Maybe even make up a word?!?)

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Oh, thank GOD that Bob won't be munching on his own small intestine--raw--in front of us! Such a totally revolting thought!

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
How? How is the answer so clearly number nine??? WTF???

It's just that arnie is usually right, and Jo is always right. Oh well. It was a great word; I loved it!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kalleh. I was feeling like a bit of a failure with this one since everyone knew what the word meant already.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
Thanks Kalleh. I was feeling like a bit of a failure with this one since everyone knew what the word meant already.

You were not a failure, T--because it was a great word, a truly strange word to apply to the laying out of a camp!

I didn't know what it meant already, and I imagine most of us didn't, but it's hard to turn against the tide when you have players who are always or usually right, to make your own independent guess. That's why I think we need a group attitude adjustment about the bluffing game.

There is no reason to play the Bluffing Game if you play it out of competitiveness and a need to "win". If we were doing that, we could just have a vocabulary test each week.

No, the only reason to play this game is to enjoy all the silly definitions people come up with when they truly don't know what the word means. It's a delightful, creative exercise to write them. It's amusing and perplexing to read them. It's fun to make fun of them. It's a puzzle to try to guess which one is correct and interesting to find out whether you were right or wrong.

It's a total perversion of the purpose of the game to care more about the correct definition than the incorrect definitions. The purpose is to let your imagination run wild, in the concocting and in the guessing.

If we wanted to have NO FUN with this, we could all just go look the words up. That might be interesting and informative, but it's nowhere near as entertaining. This is why I admire Bob's approach: he purposely picks an answer that tickles him or that's quirky. He is at home in his own skin with the idea of Bluffing and being bluffed. He gets it!

Of course, this game is so much more fun in person, with the group dynamic a little alcohol. I have laughed so hard playing this game that I've had tears rolling down my cheeks. And there's no possibility of actual, gasp, cheating, because the person who's "it" can sit on the dictionary if necessary.

We should try to play Bluffing Game speeded up on the Saturday chat and see where we get!

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Nicely said, Wordmatic.

Actually, TrossL, I like the idea of a purely made-up word. I had a daffynition like that once, but nobody picked it. I think we should include that daffynition every time, and every so often someone should come up with a made-up word.

Now...who's up next? As Wordmatic says, let's let our imagination run wild!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I didn't know the word either, but when there are several already up for one answer including both arnie and jo I'm confident enough that they are right to be able to suggest auto-cannibalism and know that I won't have to carry it through.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Lots of placenames in England, such as Doncaster, Lancaster, and Manchester, include the Latin root for camp, castra because the town originated at what was originally a Roman camp.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Just one more proof that I should have taken Latin when I had the chance. We have 'casters here as well, but I never knew it meant "camp." Thanks for the mini-lesson, Arnie.

Wordmatic

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Am I crazy? I thought someone had started a new Bluffing Game word, but now I can't find it? Was I dreaming?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I crazy?
I think you need to seek professional advice on that Kalleh. Big Grin
I've not seen a new one, but it must be my turn, so I've just started a new thread for terp.