Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Bluffing Game - charientism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bluffing Game - charientism Login/Join

Picture of TrossL
posted
Okay... here we go...
Send your daffynitions to me, Trossl, via PM and don't delete your PM until the game is over or I won't be able to cut, paste and post your bluff.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jo is home from hospital and reading mail. She said I should send her daffynition. Two days ago, she could not talk. Now she can talk, but cannot use her left hand.

Daffynition is coming in private messaging if I can figure it out.

Rex

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Hey Rex... tell Jo we are all routing for her.

BTW... your name is the town where I live. Small world and all...

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:
tell Jo we are all routing for her.

Yep! Got the old Black and Decker out and got a 1/2" rabbeting bit in it!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
and those of us without an extensive power tool collection are rooting for her (or alternatively, for our British friends, cheering her on.) Oh, Asa, you are so evil! ;-)

Mine's on the way Trossl. Thanks for starting the game.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
I'll have you know that rout is a perfectly acceptable alternate spelling of root. (URL to follow shortly after I find one to support my outlandish claim...)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Rex, please send Jo our love. I have started a thread in Community called, "Announcement of Absences;" please keep us updated on how Jo is doing in that thread. Thanks!

TrossL, mine's on the way!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
We've got some good ones. Any more takers?
How long do I wait before I post the daffynitions and let people guess?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Give it a day or two more. Once you get between six and eight, cut and paste the PMs, sans names of course, into a new public post, numbering them #1, #2, etc, and include the real definition somewhere among the daffynitions. You may even toss in a daffynition of your own if you like!

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
(Drum roll please...)
Here they are, at long last, the daffynitions you've been waiting for!

The object of this game is to guess which of these daffynitions is the actual definition of this obscure word. (No cheating and looking it up on dictionary.com.)
10 lovely wordcrafters have supplied your possible meanings and one of them will win a lovely turtle polishing kit should theirs be the daffynition to garner the most votes.
So guess away... (here in this forum, NOT by PM). *****Even if you did not submit a definition, please guess anyway. More fun - more players!

charientism

1. (n.) Obsessively wary.

2. A kindly and tolerant attitude toward people

3. A religious doctrine that maintains that salvation only comes through giving all but essential assets to the poor.

4. An insult so subtly presented that is it believed by the recipient to be unintended

5. A stammer expressing fear or caution

6. Wariness, caution

7. A social system based on mutual understanding, caring and compassion

8. 14th Century heretical Christian doctrine based on the rejection of sections of the Gospels

9. An obsolete medical system for treating illness by administering by mouth a preparation of finely-ground charcoal, to adsorb disease-causing noxious principles and carry them out of the body

10. Parsimony

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Since I'm obsessively wary of kindness towards parsimoniousness in the 14th Century - AND I haven't a clue - I'll take a wild guess and stammer, " # # ###8" Confused

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go for that insulting one: #4, even though I believe the answer is likely to be one of the others!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jo and I will take #4, even though I am wary of that choice.

Rex & Jo

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'm not copying...honest (besides it's probably wrong anyway!), but I looked at all the daffys, without looking at the answers, and chose #4.

(Now I am going to look it up! Big Grin)

Jo, we're hoping you're doing okay.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Let's give 6 a try

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
To jump on the bandwagon, 4. please.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Staying away from all things alluding to charity, chari/wariness, cleaning/charcoal (simply because there are so many of them) - leaves only 4 and 8.

Just to be contrary, I'll go with Asa and take 8.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Most charitable of you, Hab!

posted Hide Post
I never came across the word while looking up heresies in the past, so I went with 4.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I figure I should probably choose 4, but I don't feel like it.

I'm voting for #6.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Well, this version of the bluffing game is NOT turning out like all the others is it? I must have done something wrong... Oh well...
I'll give y'all 2 more days and then I'll post the answers and winners on Friday.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, you have lots of answers. I am not sure what you mean.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Well TrossL, it's turning out more like all the others than my last one did. If you have as many answers as you have entries, or if you've had answers from all who've submitted, you might as well let us know...

On the other hand, if you're feeling a little wary, well, who could blame you???

Wink

Wordmatic

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Okay here are the results...

1.(n.) Obsessively wary. (Jo) - 0 votes

2. Wariness, caution (Arnie) - 0 votes

3. A religious doctrine that maintains that salvation only comes through giving all but essential assets to the poor. (Asa Lovejoy) - 0 votes

4. An insult so subtly presented that is it believed by the recipient to be unintended (real definition) - 5 votes - MythJellies, arnie, Kalleh, jo and wordmatic. (Although haberdasher & caterwauller really wanted this one too!)

5. A stammer expressing fear or caution (Wordmatic) - 0 votes

6. A kindly and tolerant attitude toward people (Kalleh) - 2 votes - Caterwauller & BobHale

7. A social system based on mutual understanding, caring and compassion (Caterwauller) - 0 votes

8. 14th Century heretical Christian doctrine based on the rejection of sections of the Gospels (Bob Hale) - 2 votes - Asa & haberdasher

9. An obsolete medical system for treating illness by administering by mouth a preparation of finely-ground charcoal, to adsorb disease-causing noxious principles and carry them out of the body (Haberdasher) - 0 votes

10. Parsimony (Myth Jellies) - 0 votes

Now, I really don't know how to score this. Most of you guessed the correct definition so I guess I should have worded it differently to try and trick you or something. You bright people you!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
It's hopeless. They're all geniuses!

Hope you were unscathed by the tornadoes, TrossL.

Wordmatic

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Hey! I managed to fool someone. If in doubt go with "heretical Christian doctrine". Works every time. Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Hey! I managed to fool someone.

Some ONE? Try some TWO!!!

Asa, who assumes ALL religious doctrine is heretical. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
TrossL, while we used to keep score (believe it or not, fellow game players, at one point in time I had the highest score. I think I must have the lowest score these days. Roll Eyes), we don't anymore...thank goodness!

Yet, if I recall our early scoring (3 points for a word that fools everyone; 2 points for guessing the correct definition; and 1 point for everyone fooled), I'd have four points! Must be a record.

Wm, my guess was merely that, a guess. However, one helpful aspect was that several of the daffynitions were alike. For example, 3 (1, 2, 5) addressed a caution or wariness. Three more addressed a religious or similar concept (3, 7 & 8). Of course #6 was mine. So that left 4, 9, and 10. Having taught pharmacology to nurses for a number of years, I was pretty sure it wasn't 9. That left 4 & 10. Number 10 was just too easy, thus I chose 4. See...there was rhyme to my reason! Wink

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I loved the humor of #3.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Excellent word, Trossl!

(I'm glad we don't keep score, too, Kalleh)

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post