Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    Limerick Game: Sun Prairie
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Limerick Game: Sun Prairie Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Thank you, Geoff, for letting Shu take this one (since you were tied). No matter who wins - you are up next! It will probably be you anyway.

Shu's venue is Sun Prairie (in Wisconin). You are probably wondering how in the world he came up with that. Well, sit down, pull up a chair, and I'll tell you the story.

Shu takes these limerick game places seriously - apparently a lot more seriously than I do. When I told him (falsely, it turns out) that he had won, he said, "Well, it will take me awhile, but I'll come up with something good."

So we started with Juneau, Alaska. He liked the sound. However, soon he said, "No, no, that won't do." I didn't much like it anyway, trying to come up with rhymes.

Then he went to Lyon, France. How that came up is beyond me, but I kinda liked it, and I do like France.

But then a piece from Gilbert and Sullivan's Iolanthe came to him:

Iolanthe:
Oh! Chancellor unwary/It's highly unnecessary
Your tongue to teach/Respectful speech - /Your attitude to vary!
Your badinage so airy,/Your manner arbitrary,
Are out of place/When face to face/With an influential Fairy.

Chancellor:
A plague on this vagary,/I'm in a nice quandary!
Of hasty tone/With dames unknown/I ought to be more chary;
It seems that she's a fairy/From Andersen's library,
And I took her for/The proprietor/Of a Ladies' Seminary!

He loved the "airy" rhyme. So - how about Pleasant Prairie, Shu says, which also is in Wisconsin. Being from Wisconsin, I had never heard of it; he must have googled it. I didn't much like it, but I am only the messenger.

Aha! But then Shu had the same concern I did - that stupid 2-syllable "Pleasant." Isn't there something better? As luck would have it, Shu happened to read this article - in the Wall Street Journal.

Let's make it Sun Prairie!

Please send me your PMs!

[Do any of you obsess this much about the Limerick game word?]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It seems that she's a fairy/From Andersen's library"

Hmmmmm... My wife works at the library in Anderson, Indiana. Probababably just a coincidence.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nitpickibng across the Decades:

quote:
Originally posted January 30, 2006 12:07 AM:

Gilbert and Sullivan, on chary and wary:
Iolanthe is in red, and the Chancellor is in blue.

Oh! Chancellor unwary
It's highly necessary
Your tongue to teach
Respectful speech--
Your attitude to vary!
Your badinage so airy,
Your manner arbitrary,
Are out of place
When face to face
With an influential Fairy

A plague on this vagary,
I'm in a nice quandary!
Of hasty tone
With dames unknown
I ought to be more chary;
It seems that she's a fairy
From Andersen's library,
And I took her for
The proprietor
Of a Ladies' Seminary!

Inaccuracies that withstand the Test of Time: Isn't it the Queen of the Fairies rebuking the Lord Chancellor, not Iolanthe? Iolanthe was hiding from him, lest he learn that she was still alive...

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We do have some G&S aficionados here, don't we?

Now - how about some submissions, please? Hab has been good, but what about the rest of you?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sent mine

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We need more, people. This one is a snap!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ever since Hab asked about the rules, I have been curious. Using the advanced search, I found this thread in 2015. Hab was right that Bob started with the place being in the line 1. However, as you read down the responses, you'll see agreement that the place can be in 1,2 or 5. I think that's how we've been playing ever since. I didn't think I was crazy, but one never knows. Wink

posted Hide Post
A snap for the gifted, but not so easy for me. I'm working on it...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

[Do any of you obsess this much about the Limerick game word?]

Sometimes, I just don't want to do them because I am not very good at them. I don't want to spend the time trying to come up with something, especially when it isn't good!!! I also feel that my brain is more sluggish after the head injury. It is definitely improving and time is flowing again, but I seem to be off my game more than usual, and I wasn't that good to begin with.

posted Hide Post
As a fellow brain injury victim, I think that doing limericks helps keep the few marbles I still have, so keep on trying! I'm still struggling with one, but will get one done eventually!

posted Hide Post
I sent in two bad ones, but still.... Thanks Geoff, for your encouragement.

posted Hide Post
Now i've got to get something in. I'm finding this easy to rhyme badly, but impossible to rhyme well. GRRRRRR!!!!
Edit: I've gotten in one so-so one and one putrid one. That's the best I can do. Now my head hurts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have enough to post now (Thank you! Wink) - but I have to write one. I will be out this evening, so will post these tomorrow.

Remember, no matter who wins, Geoff is up next. I robbed him of his turn (unintentionally of course!).

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oh, oh, oh, Kalleh! Somehow I missed this thread until today! I will try to think one up tonight.

BTW I come from a clan of G&S afficionados. Grew up w/the D'Oyly-Carte albums, & have the "Treasury of G&S" in my piano bench. I am from Ithaca & many of my mother's clan attended Cornell (great-grandpa was a classics prof & sent his five kids tuition-free). The Cornell Savoyards put on productions annually - a great-uncle performed in them in the '20's. Mom was my GS leader: our troop attended the Mikado, & later put on HMS Pinafore for our theatre badge (I was Buttercup: typical 13-y.o., I assumed I was selected for slight chubbiness rather than voice Roll Eyes . As a Cornell freshman, I played a dainty little fairy in Iolanthe. Claim to fame: Alfred E Kahn, then an ILR prof & terrific basso profundo, played the Grenadier Guardsman.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Bethree5, them's some credentials!

Since there are bound to be some really good ones this time, I'll NOT be the "winner" for this round. Let the real winner do it! Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Got yours, Bethree. Thank you!

Oh, Bethree, Shu and I love D'Oyly-Carte. They came to Chicago right before disbanding, and Shu and I had the fortune of seeing them perform several G&S's at Chicago's Lyric Opera. I remember I was pregnant at the time (am a grandma now!) with my first child and she was kicking wildly during the performances.

I wrote mine, such as it is. Win some, lose some - and mine this time is not a winner. Indeed, I'll eat my hat if I even get one vote. And that's a dare!

Will post them tonight.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
So when do we see the limericks?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Posting them now. Remember the time difference.