Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    BLUFFING GAME - REMPLISSAGE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLUFFING GAME - REMPLISSAGE Login/Join

posted
I will take definitions for this magnificent word until Monday next.

Posts: 915 | Location: IowaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My entry's en route as we speak.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have entries from Bob and Hab, both wonderful (the daffynitions and the men!! ) Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Jo,
I pondering it... look for email soon! Hope you are doing well. It's a great word..Smile

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'mon folks... I have five daffynitions. Shirley, you can do better than that!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Don't call me Shirley! Mad

(someone had to post that... ) Roll Eyes

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tomorrow is the deadline. So far, I have seven daffynitions. If I have to make up more, it will get more difficult. Smile

posted Hide Post
Okay. Here we go. The daffynitions have been wonderful. So vote away!

1. Mourning clothes, traditionally worn for a period of a week after a funeral.

2. Padding a literary or musical work.

3. Fashion design term for the gathering of fabric at the waistline of a skirt or dress.

4. A metallurgy term where metal powder is mechanically treated, thus altering the size or shape of the individual particles.

5. (Fr. culinary) Stuffing; a mixture of seasoned ingredients used to stuff meats and vegetables.

6. An armoire.

7. An expensive, stylish hairdo, usually done by a Master Hairdresser.

8. Formal dress worn by members of the court while riding horseback while on parade.

9. A procession of horsemen and their mounts prior to a dressage competition, i.e. an entrance.

10. The ancient art of carving chess figures by hand.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jo,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Absolutely no idea.

I'll try 5.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I, too, will try five.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
History says that I should try 5. However, I will take last place again and try 8.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops... I need to change definition #2 to "padding" rather than "adding to"... can't read without my glasses. Won't say who it was who pointed out my mistake.

Also, #8 needs the addition of the phrase, on the end, of "while on parade."

So sorry...

posted Hide Post
If I wait until two more people vote for five and then I cast my vote too, will I get extra credit for a Yahtzee?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 3.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I love a parade!

# 8 for me, please . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always wonder why #1 and the last number are chosen the least... sigh... however,

I'm voting for #9....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jo:
Oops... I need to change definition #2 to "padding" rather than "adding to"... can't read without my glasses. Won't say who it was who pointed out my mistake.

Also, #8 needs the addition of the phrase, on the end, of "while on parade."

Can you not click on the middle-of-the-three little icons in the lower right-hand corner of your original post (which should be the folder with a pencil eraser), and go back and make those desired alterations?

posted Hide Post
um... er... I dunno. Well, okay. I've edited the original message. But... I really felt I should let you know.

Any more votes?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I'll take five also.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay. Here we go. This word is a marvelous example of a foreign word, French, which has an English definition that is somewhat removed from the French. While many of you added to your private messages the information regarding the French rempli means to fill, apparently you guessed that the "filling" referred to stuffing or filling something up, rather than "filling out" as the English usage implies.

I'm hard pressed to use the term appropriately. One guess would be: "The excessively detailed chapters on the mechanics of whaling contained in Moby Dick is a good example of remplissage in American literature." Or... "The string introduction to the second movement was nothing more than pretentious remplissage to an otherwise tedious and pedestrian composition."

1. Mourning clothes, traditionally worn for a period of a week after a funeral. Defined by Bob Hale; guessed by no one.

2. Padding a literary or musical work. The real answer! No one guessed it.

3. Fashion design term for the gathering of fabric at the waistline of a skirt or dress. Defined by the Haberdasher himself! Guessed by Arnie! At last, the master is fooled.

4. A metallurgy term where metal powder is mechanically treated, thus altering the size or shape of the individual particles. Defined by Kalleh.... ditto

5. (Fr. culinary) Stuffing; a mixture of seasoned ingredients used to stuff meats and vegetables. Defined by Arnie! Guessed by just about everyone... Smile Bob, Jerry, Hab, Asa

6. An armoire. Defined by CW. Alas it fooled no one.

7. An expensive, stylish hairdo, usually done by a Master Hairdresser. Defined, and excellent so, by Jerry! but alas and alack, no takers.

8. Formal dress worn by members of the court while riding horseback while on parade. Definition thrown in by meself just to pad things; guessed by CW and Kalleh

9. A procession of horsemen and their mounts prior to a dressage competition, i.e. an entrance. Defined by Asa; guessed by KHC

10. The ancient art of carving chess figures by hand. And my favorite daffynition of all, provided by KHC. If I hadn't known I would have picked this one.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great going, Jo! No one guessed your word! Think of all the points you'd have, were we keeping score. I am sooo glad we've stopped that. Wink

Unless someone is panting for the next word, I'd love to post one that my logophile friend has introduced me to.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Now here's a weird thing. For the first time ever , now that I've seen the answer I realise that I did in fact know it even though the real definition never registered at all when I read it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I certainly should have guessed it! I knew that the French remplir means "to fill", hence my "stuffing" daffynition. Presumably others knew that as well and were fooled as I had hoped!

It's also amusing that the daffynition thrown in by jo as remplissage, as it were, fooled two. Smile

posted Hide Post
...knowing the French root only narrowed it down to 2, 3, or 5. After that it was still a guess!

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
...knowing the French root only narrowed it down to 2, 3, or 5. After that it was still a guess!

Exactly so, Hab! I thought they were ALL wrong, but I had to guess something.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Heck, I have to use my dictionary to decifer half the posts on this site, anyway . . . I never expect to know what these things mean.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asa fooled me with horsemen and "dressage".... I wasn't even thinking of remplir... and I should have been, after tutoring two hard-headed children of mine in French... Mon Dieu!

Good word, Jo.... !! You fooled The Arnie... or rather, Haberdasher did! What fun....

Kalleh... you are NEXT.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Precisely! Since I submitted 5. I knew it wasn't that, Out of 2. and 3. I guessed wrongly. Frown

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Out of 2. and 3. I guessed wrongly.

To quote a wordcrafter who now only strolls in here infrequently, that's a half a point, arnie! Wink

And Jo! You must be the big winner after all these games recently because you frequently fool people and you often get the word right too! This time, though, you were amazing. Your word fooled everyone, and you fooled 2 with your daffynition! Way to go!

I will post the next word in another thread.