Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    To louse or not Toulouse - take your pick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To louse or not Toulouse - take your pick Login/Join

posted
1: Toulouse is a city in France
Where they sew many jackets and pants
But the people refuse
(Though they've nothing to lose)
To wear them to sing or to dance.

2: I'll visit the city, Toulouse
(It's called the "pink city" - those
views!)
Across the Atlantic,
For quite the romantic
Great rendezvous, plenty of screws!

3: Forget tracks with obstructed views
Or Bookies with very long queues.
While punting around
The thing that I've found
Is the best place to win is Toulouse.

But reports I read in the news
Said Bookies are turning the screws
Down so very tightly
That wrongly or rightly
There's no way to win in Toulouse!

4: A man who lived down in Toulouse
Said, “A woman is of little use”
“And I’m also not gay
So it’s with pride I say
Meet the love of my life - she’s a moose”

5: At a down-market dive in Toulouse
Said a gourmand, “This paté’s not goose!
The éclair is just fair
But I really despair
To find no trace of moose in the mousse.

6: Louis XIV and XVI of France
Tried their wives' private lives to
enhance
As they ditched the two Lous
In two loos in Toulouse
To avoid being looked at askance

7: A tart is not a Toulouse Goose
With lips most like a big mouthed moose
If you care to dine
Please serve with red wine
This fatty goose that's from Toulouse

Oops, I missed one! Now they're all there! Vote away!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the ) in No. 2 is meant to come after "pink city" ... not after views.

Regards Greg

Posts: 991 | Location: Melbourne AustraliaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S:
Pretty sure the ) in No. 2 is meant to come after "pink city" ... not after views.

That's how the writer punctuated it, but I surely see your point!

posted Hide Post
All things considered I prefer three, even if it is two...

...and 3a just barely noses out 3b, if they're meant to be not two verses but two separate limericks.

Posts: 6269 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I will go with 3A, too.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll go for 3

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Personally, my fave is Hab's original in the other thread, namely:

L.A. and New England: two views
It gets harder and harder to choose.
There's a very good chance
One will voyage to France
Because somebody's going Toulouse.

But if forced to vote for one of those here, I will give my vote to 2.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I doubt #3 is assailable at this point, but I won't call it yet. I'll give it another day.

If I had a vote I'd take #6. It reads aloud superbly!

posted Hide Post
I notice that there are two distinct sets of offerings - one with -louse rhyming with -LOSE and the other with -LOOSE. Whatever that means.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll out myself and #2 was mine - the parenthesis was meant to be where it is, though the line "those views" should have been in the second line. I don't think it would have made sense had the parenthesis been after city as the whole statement was parenthetical, describing that fine city.

It is called the pink city. Originally when we did these, we attempted to describe the city in the limerick. I still do it from time to time, if possible.

This one was hard for me as some didn't have Toulouse in the right place and in others the meter didn't work that well for me. I guess I'll choose #3, too, though the first line in the first limerick gave me meter-itis. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The two with -oose rhyme are mine. I was genuinely surprised when I saw all the others with the -ooze rhyme because my whole life I have pronounced it -oose. I guess I have been wrong all this time.

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
Hi All but especially Kalleh,

I am more affected by rhyme-itis, but I totally get your point, I had trouble too the first time I read it as:

with ob-STRUCT-ed VIEWS, as one probably should but if you push yourself to read it as
with OB-struct-ed VIEWS, it works.

As for the closing parenthesis, I mistakenly read it as:

(It's called the "pink city") - those views across the Atlantic,

which other punctuation should have made sure I did not read it that way, but sometimes (in fact often) your mind reads what it expects to read, like when words are wrongly duplicated but placed so that one is at the end of one line and the other the beginning of the next, you read straight past it and usually don't even see the repeat.

Regards Greg

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
The problem with 6 is that Toulouse is meant to be the A-rhyme (as Kalleh indirectly pointed out), but more importantly two Lous and Toulouse, are homonyms, not rhymes! But it's a nice limerick otherwise and as Kalleh suggested re hers, it does fit the location which is always a big plus and one of the main reasons I voted for 2.

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
“homonyms, not rhymes”. Now _that’s_ a nice point.

And yet I’ve always considered
A tutor who tooted a flute
Tried to tutor two Tudors to toot.
Said the two to the tutor,
“Is it harder to toot
Or to tutor two Tudors to toot?”

to be one of the cleverer examples of the genre.

Is there such a thing as an “identity rhyme” (in the mathematical sense)?

Are we being too demanding of ourselves?

Edit: fixed typo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I've not come across that one before, but what a brilliant piece of writing. I'm guessing, in fact I read it that way the 1st 3 times, that line 4 starts with "Is it ..."

It also surprises me how it works so perfectly rhythmically, yet is somewhat confusing because I can't decide if the or that ends line 3 should really be the beginning of line 4, or if the Or that starts line 5 should really be the end of line 4. As it is written above, lines 2 and 5 are identical except for the extra Or at the front, suggesting it really does belong to the end of line 4. That would give lines 3 & 4 7 syllables each which you don't see every often (usually it's 5 or 6), and then to top it all off line 1 has one less syllable that line 2. And yet I am certain Kalleh would say it is metrically perfect. Confusing as it is on so many levels, I absolutely love it. I have tried 10 times to read it now and every time lines 1 and 2 roll off my tongue as smoothly as silk, but by the time I get to line 5, virtually identical to line 2, I don't think it has come out right once yet. Who was it attributed to, do you know?

Regards Greg

posted Hide Post
I've always thought of the rhythm in musical terms. It's in 6/8 time, with a pickup note or two at the beginning and/or the end of many lines. The poem reads
6-1-2-3-4-5-6-1(-2-3-4-)
5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-1(-2-3-4-5)
6-1-2-3-4
5-6-1-2-3-4
5-6-1-2-3-4-5-6-1(-2-3-4-5)

But the 2s,3s,4s,5s, and 6s are "ambidextrous;" it's not clear whether they belong with the previous line or the next line, and often-but-not-always they are silent (but still an important part of the rhythmic flow). That ambiguity is what Greg is pointing out.

None of which clears up the imperfection of the hiccup in line 4 "Is it" that has to be double-time (sixteenth notes {semiquavers}, if you will) to make the rest work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: haberdasher,

posted Hide Post
I think I've said much of that before. Forgive me if I repeat myself.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am more affected by rhyme-itis, but I totally get your point, I had trouble too the first time I read it as:

with ob-STRUCT-ed VIEWS, as one probably should but if you push yourself to read it as

Interestingly OBSTRUCTED, like many other words, usually has first syllable stress in the UK but second syllable stress in the U.S. I'll come up with more examples when I have time. Right now I'm packing to return to Xianyyang. My teaching starts again tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
As I mentioned above, Hab, your #6 seemed really rhythmic, thus my liking it. Your #1 didn't sing so sweetly to me.

#3, the winnah, was Greg. Good going!
4 and 5 were Bob's.
As for Kalleh's wanting screws in #2, you Do know that "vice" in French means "screw - the hardware type, right?
#7 was a last-ditch effort by a terribly beleaguered sattva who, despite family issues, tossed one in. Thanks!

Now, what's become of Bethree5??? Is she ill again? Does anyone know?

Take it away, Greg! Just don't take us to Tittybong or Wankey!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now that you all know the 2-verser limerick was mine, what I really meant when I wrote "I had trouble too the first time I read it" is "I had trouble too when writing it"

Don't worry Geoff, I have learned my lesson, I will try to come up with an easy one this time.

Regards Greg

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Typing w/left pointer. Going to ortho later to find out why rt wrist out of commish-- for 2nd time in 2wks. (Ulnar side). Frown

My fave is Number Four!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
There once was a man named Toulouse
With talent and high-platform shoes
Though he was so short
The gals paid him court
To get their figures in the news.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't even attempt it, but consider the challenge: writing a limerick using only keyboard letters reached by the left hand!

posted Hide Post
I'm glad to hear it's ONLY your hand that doesn't work! Not that that's not bad enough, but I'm happy to know you're still with us!

Hab, I've never learned to type "properly," so I still hunt and peck. That's why I never learned to play the clarinet (No klezmer for me!) or the pennywhistle. Hmmmmm.... I wonder why the "shift" key is on both sides of the keyboard, just like real typewriters?

posted Hide Post
quote:
...I wonder why the "shift" key is on both sides of the keyboard, just like real typewriters?
So you can type an upper-case letter regardless of which hand is typing the letter itself? That'd be my guess.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
dg: GOUT. Mad

In splint. Can't drive or work [or comb hair or or or]. The good news: pain relieved by brace contraption.

posted Hide Post
At least, it's good to have a name for it. And it's disruptive to be sure, but not threatening.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know that you can get gout in your hands but as a long time sufferer with it in my feet and ankles I know just how painful it can be. Here's hoping that it's only a brief attack and you recover quickly.

posted Hide Post
My first thought was Carpal Tunnel. Gout is painful!!! Glad you are getting some relief with the brace.

posted Hide Post
On another note, I know I can't write limericks, but just so you know, there is a Toulouse goose. I found that out when looking up info about Toulouse. I thought of a too loose goose as not being a "tart" from British slang that I have picked up from British comedies. The goose part I meant here was being silly. So, I meant it as a sexually loose and silly woman. The big mouthed moose referred (in not a good way), as someone too loose with their words, spreading rumors and such. I found that certain geese, like the Toulouse goose, is often served with a fine red wine, and that it is a very fatty bird. So, even if the flow was pretty bad, I learned something in the process about wine, geese, and Toulouse. LOL This limerick probably made no sense to most people. I am not sure it did to me, either!

posted Hide Post
You educated me considerably, so it was definitely NOT a waste of time! Many thanks!

Picture of Greg S
posted Hide Post
I have posted a new game for the little Dandenong Ranges' village known as Kallista.

Regards Greg

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love the village name, Greg. Wink

Hab, that limerick you posted (way up above about tooting) is one that Shu often recites to me, along with many other hilarious ones. One of my favorites is:

To his bride said the lynx-eyed detective,
"Could it be that my eyesight's defective?
Has your east tit the least bit
The best of the west tit?
Or is it a trick of perspective?"

Hab, you are right. We are too hard on ourselves. I, for one, am going to try to lighten up.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post